Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling Cards (name cards, not phone cards)

dostacos

Practically Family
I found using my company supplied business cards for quick notes {anybody have some paper???} now that I am sorta retired I am going to make up some cards,

choice:
one, plain with name/cell/email
two, picture of a camera lens + above info
or three outline of a fedora + the info....

decisions, decisions anybody want jump in and suggest? ;)

dostacos

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
shelleyjcardsml.jpg

Here is mine. Its slightly unconventional, but I dont like a lot of info on the card that I dont write on myself if I meet someone. Its more personal that way and I find they remember me.

LD
Lady day that card is YOU 100% :eusa_clap love it

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Boy...

Daniel said:
My father is a retired U.S. Army Officer, and I remember there was distinct protocol having to do with calling cards.

A corner turned down on the card indicated it had been left in person, not by a servant (although no one had servants by that time) and there was other protocol concerning the time period alloted once assigned to a duty station before one had to leave a card at the Commanding Officer's quarters. I vaguely remember that wives had their own cards, but could leave their husbands'.

I miss that sort of thing.

...that takes me back.

In '68 my dad went to Ft Irwin to take command of a battalion to go to Vietnam. The base commander was a brown shoe Army colonel and insisted on new officers leaving a calling card in the silver salver.

We were there just for a few weeks, but he took the '58 Olds to Barstow and had some printed just for the occasion.

TheLimey

Familiar Face
Another great thread that has inspired me to get some calling cards.
I've gone with simple black on eggshell paper, with just my cell and email.
I also lashed out and bought a case to carry them in, so much mor stylish than pulling them from the wallet. Although it does make another item I constantly carry around...

ortega76

Practically Family
Lady Day, I agree that your card is simply sublime. I love the design. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I think I'll try a full color design. I can get them ridiculously cheap. I can afford to play with some designs. I suppose I can always go to something in just black and white text if I find the color to be too complicated. Now I just need to find a design I like.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
shelleyjcardsml.jpg

Here is mine. Its slightly unconventional, but I dont like a lot of info on the card that I dont write on myself if I meet someone. Its more personal that way and I find they remember me.

LD

I LOVE that card LD! I'd expect nothing less than graphically stylish from you though.

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
What an interesting thread! I had some cards years back with only my name. Now, I guess it would be a name and email or name and website - a phone number is a waste with me, I never turn my phone on.
For the past 10 years, I always use my work cards, but I am getting tired of that. The card has a ton of stuff all over it, I can't remember how many numbers, email, web, etc. etc. Fine if I am in a work situation, but incredibly dull otherwise.

I am inspired, now I need to decide what I want.

vintage68

Practically Family
Calling Cards Anyone?

So, it came time to order new business cards, and I really liked the look of the slightly larger calling card, so I went with it and just received mine today.

Being a big fan of the Victorian era I'm just tickled with the result:

IMG_0038-1.jpg

Does anyone else use calling cards? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I also came across this link discussing calling cards in detail:

http://artofmanliness.com/2008/09/07/the-gentlemans-guide-to-the-calling-card/

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
My stationer recommended that men use a calling card sized a touch smaller than a standard business card with only the name printed on it. If need be, any additional info or a short note can then be hand written on the back. She thought that it added a personal touch.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tomasso said:
My stationer recommended that men use a calling card sized a touch smaller than a standard business card with only the name printed on it. If need be, any additional info or a short note can then be hand written on the back. She thought that it added a personal touch.

This is the type of calling card I've been looking for. They look like the kind of cards you get at graduation. I still have a few from when I graduated (class of '74) and some of my Dad's (class of '42).

I'd like to get some more of these made up, does anyone have an on-line source?

Corky

Practically Family
Best Tip: Have your info printed in Japanese on the back...

Before traveling to Japan, I went to a printer in LA's Little Tokyo and got some cards made up with my info in English on one side and in Japanese characters (Kanji, I think) on the other.

These proved to be the most memorable cards I ever owned, especially after I got back to the USA.

In the United States, when handing a card to someone, I would casually hand it to the person with the Japanese side up. He would invariably look at it and react: "What is this?"

Then I ask him to turn it over.

It never failed to make a memorable impression.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch