Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can a defect like this be removed from fabric?

Lorinz

Familiar Face
I just checked a garment of mine I purchased very recently and noticed these two spots on either side of the colored "stripe" in the middle, I circled them in red to make it easier to see so you can know what I am referring to. It's the same color as said stripe, so I assume it must be some minor defect that I didn't notice until today. Is there any way to remove something like this, or is it impossible?

Also a second question, does ink ruin leather jackets? I think I may have gotten some ink on my black leather Schott jacket and am worried if that could ruin it. Does ink ruin leather, and can it be removed? And can it be removed safely without damaging the leather in the process? Thank you.

Attachments

• spots1.jpg
    spots1.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 63
  • spots2.jpg
    spots2.jpg
    758.3 KB · Views: 61
  • spots3.jpg
    spots3.jpg
    857.2 KB · Views: 59
  • spots4.jpg
    spots4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
No clue about the fabric.

As for ink on leather, the stain of the ink can be all but impossible to remove, if the leather is light colored, you're pretty screwed. If the leather is black, then the ink may not show very well, and may only be apparent when the light reflects off the jacket at the right angle, creating a bit of a sheene where the ink is. If the ink does not penetrate the surface layer, it may be that it can be washed off without leaving any stain, but if it gets into the grain even a little bit, it's going to be next to impossible to remove. Maybe a professional leather cleaner with experience and know-how will have some trick. But pretty much any kind of scrubbing or abrading you may do will affect the surface of the leather in a visual way which will make it look different from an area that wasn't given such treatment.

As far as ruining the leather in the sense of causing it to dry rot or disintegrate, no, most likely not, unless the ink is acidic or something, and even then only if a lot of it gets into the leather. It'll just visually ruin the leather with a stain, but not weaken the leather's physical structure.

Lorinz

Familiar Face
No clue about the fabric.

As for ink on leather, the stain of the ink can be all but impossible to remove, if the leather is light colored, you're pretty screwed. If the leather is black, then the ink may not show very well, and may only be apparent when the light reflects off the jacket at the right angle, creating a bit of a sheene where the ink is. If the ink does not penetrate the surface layer, it may be that it can be washed off without leaving any stain, but if it gets into the grain even a little bit, it's going to be next to impossible to remove. Maybe a professional leather cleaner with experience and know-how will have some trick. But pretty much any kind of scrubbing or abrading you may do will affect the surface of the leather in a visual way which will make it look different from an area that wasn't given such treatment.

As far as ruining the leather in the sense of causing it to dry rot or disintegrate, no, most likely not, unless the ink is acidic or something, and even then only if a lot of it gets into the leather. It'll just visually ruin the leather with a stain, but not weaken the leather's physical structure.
Ok, I see. I've seen posts from some people claiming you can use rubbing alcohol to get ink out of leather, does that work, or will it damage the leather in the process? I've seen people suggest using white erasers, and leather cleaner as well.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Ok, I see. I've seen posts from some people claiming you can use rubbing alcohol to get ink out of leather, does that work, or will it damage the leather in the process? I've seen people suggest using white erasers, and leather cleaner as well.
I have no experience with it.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
For the fabric, use the Tide pen
I always carry one with me in case I spill crap on myself, tomato sauce, bbq sauce, coffee...etc. Stains are much easier to lift out when fresh.
1702663327656.jpeg

For leather, if it's naked leather then you're screwed. No way anything coming out only more going in. If it is finished leather then try a damp cloth first to wipe, and move up to alcohol pad for the grimy stuff

When all fails take it to your local dry cleaner that's been around for a while, some times they have good experience dealing with stubborn stains. But even they cannot perform magic on naked leather.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think black leather like schott can deal with ink, just clean it with alcohol 90% or zippo lighter fluid, as in clothes I think you can try dry clean spray sold to clean car seat and sofa, or stain remover with hydrogen peroxide as active ingredient

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner