Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can a felt brim edge be modified?

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've had Mike at NW Hats and Bob at Black Sheep Hat Works both fix brim bindings on used hats for me and they even used the same brim binding and you couldn't even tell it had ever been touched from the original maker. Putting on a new brim binding should be easy for an accomplished hatter... hard as Haiti for a slug like me.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I've had Mike at NW Hats and Bob at Black Sheep Hat Works both fix brim bindings on used hats for me and they even used the same brim binding and you couldn't even tell it had ever been touched from the original maker. Putting on a new brim binding should be easy for an accomplished hatter... hard as Haiti for a slug like me.
I sew brim bindings on my hats. It takes patience, especially by hand. I have a nice vintage Singer 201 I bought for that purpose but my wife has kind of taken over my sewing machine. I'd actually like to have one that was made specifically for sewing on brim bindings.

Yes, and especially after he told the Hatters that he wanted a brim binding to match the felt color as close as possible. The black brim binding isn't even close. I definitely see his complaint.
I agree, most of the hatters I do business with offer a return policy if I am not happy with the hat in any way at all. I have never had to take them up on their offer but it is there in case it is needed. I think any custom house would want a customer to send it back for be made right rather than risk the buyer from spreading dissatisfaction with the purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24