Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can anyone date this bike?

fourstarbanner

One of the Regulars
And I don't mean take it out for dinner and a movie! lol

My dad recently came across this bike at a yard sale. He picked it up for $10 (a steal!) and thought it was right up my alley.

We think it might be a Radio Flyer because of the detail over the chain. I was wondering if anyone could help me out and shoot me a year for it. I'm hoping to give it a new paint job and seat to make it pretty again.

100_2304-1.jpg

Here's our Radio Flyer clue.

100_2305.jpg

Thanks a bunch! :D

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Strip it down, repaint it, and you'll really have something there. Is looks pretty cool as is, too.

The chain guard's pretty nifty.

Flivver

Practically Family
It could date anywhere from the late 1930s to the early 1960s. I'm afraid I haven't got a clue about the brand.

Feathers

Familiar Face
My fiance - the bike courier - says it looks to be about late 1930s or 1940s or so, judging from the chain guard. Really doubt it's 1960s. ;)

L HATLEY

One of the Regulars
date bike

Cain't really tell by the photo...
Large fat tire would be 50's
medium width would be 60's
paint it , put some streamers in the
handlebar grips.....one cool ride.

Mocheman

One of the Regulars
I did a little searching around. I couldn't find anything that matched that bike exactly, but I'm gonna guess that it might be a schwinn. I saw a few other bikes with a similar chain guard design. As far as age you'd really have to ask a bike expert that one. Bike makers tend to recycle their popular designs over and over. I would bet there are some slight differences that the layperson, such as myself, couldn't pick up.

One thing I would suggest though is to take the bike apart and replace or restore any of the crucial parts that may have rusted out. Also make sure none of the frame or fork welds are rusted through. The last thing you want is one of those things to fail. Good luck!

SGB

One of the Regulars
If it's a Schwinn it should have a serial number on the bottom of the crankcase, which will date it.

SGB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy