Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I get this fabric in modern times?

Lear

One of the Regulars
I posted this question on SF, then realized that the folk on FL would probably have a better idea:

To my untrained eye, this jacket appears to be vintage. Any input from would be greatly appreciated. This is exactly the sort of fabric I'm after... gorgeous!

dsc08948c.jpg

Is there a mill making fabric exactly like (or as close to) this stuff?

Is it indeed a vintage fabric, and therefore unlikely to be matched by the standards of today?

What weight would you make a guess at it being?

Thanks

Lear (the ugly one)

sproily

Practically Family
It looks newish to me.

I think the fabric is called birdeye, or something. The lining looks viscose (rayon).

It looks fairly lightweight also.

Lear

One of the Regulars
sproily said:
It looks newish to me.

I think the fabric is called birdeye, or something. The lining looks viscose (rayon).

It looks fairly lightweight also.

Oops! I've never owned a vintage item of clothing, and just assumed that it was old.

Lear (the ugly one)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
It looks reasonably new. My dad owns several business suits made of similar looking fabric (aged between 10-20 years). If it's what I think it is then it's relatively nice by modern standards, made of pure wool, relatively light and smooth.

anon`

One Too Many
The pattern does appear to be birdseye. It's a close relative of nailhead, which has a more regular and grid-like pattern of squares, as opposed to birdeye's offset and roundish dots.

While I believe that both the aforementioned patterns were, at one point, far more common than they are today, I've seen both in modern suitings and I have no doubt that the dedicated seeker could track down high-quality bolts of either style.

I continue to agree with sproily and avedwards: it looks fairly modern to me, and of fairly light weight (at least by my vintage-ified standards).

Lear

One of the Regulars
Thanks to all for the replies. I've been investigating birdseye and nailhead on various websites. Seems that these two fabrics mean different things to different people.

I like the look though

Lear (the ugly one)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I actually have a sport coat that resembles the above picture, though it no longer fits. It's a sort of olive-green color, very much as the jacket in the picture looks in that lighting.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Can you post a macro shot of the fabric? It's hard to say what it is from the definition in the image you posted.

If you like this, you should be able to find loads more like it, as it's not unusual in any way. ;)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I can't see the pattern well enough to judge but here are the two cloths:

Black/white nailhead:
710005gray.jpg

Black/white birdseye:
810007graynailhead.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
And from what I've been seeing around both fabric weaves are making a new comeback. I see it on OTR suits in Kohl's regularly. Still not common, but making it's way up.

Cheers!

Dan

markapsolon

New in Town
The fabric looks a lot like the fabric pattern of my dark gray Joseph Abboud suit. You might want to start with there. Lord and Taylors website had it a while back

GBR

One of the Regulars
Certainly modern and I suspect that visiting a few ddecnt tailors (not mall) shops would find it.

chicanoir

New in Town
i would assume that almost every major city has a garment district. go there, take your coat, you'll not only find what you're looking for but also a multitude of wonderful fabrics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda