Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can someone help identifying this jacket?

Davisleathernyc

Familiar Face
I recently purchased this jacket via ebay, I thought it was a cal, but the more I look at it the more it resembles something else. Can anyone identify this jacket? Thanks!

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpeg
    s-l1600.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 87
  • s-l16002.jpeg
    s-l16002.jpeg
    164.5 KB · Views: 89

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
The jacket does not exhibit normal construction practices consistent with Cal. Leathers. First, the lining looks too flat. Also, I have never seen Cal's with the lining's fold in the center. Furthermore, the center leather piece at the top of the collar is not Cal type. The leather lower back panel's sewing construction finishings do not match Cal's. I have seen Late '60-'90s straight zip Cal's with the traditional two snaps at the center with one at the end of the collar close to the main zip.
I am including an image that points out several of my observations.
straight zip jacketproblems.jpeg

Nice jacket never less.

Last edited:

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Yoke was not used in some straight Cal's. Here is a Cal image that is very similar to yours. Regarding the red label, that was the first Cal leather label from the late 40s to early 50s. Before them, it was star gloves. Some Star Gloves had a military lining before they went with the nice shiny lining they currently still use.

cal leather.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
That piece of leather on the inside just below the collar is very similar to my jacket that has been tentatively identified as a Monarch. Also no label. I would say that unless someone has seen a Cal with a similar piece of leather, it's doubtful it is a Cal. It is a great old jacket, however, and just shows me that my ebay search strategy sucks. :)

That piece of leather on the inside just below the collar is very similar to my jacket that has been tentatively identified as a Monarch. Also no label. I would say that unless someone has seen a Cal with a similar piece of leather, it's doubtful it is a Cal. It is a great old jacket, however, and just shows me that my ebay search strategy sucks. :)

I have. No idea if it’s just a custom “one- off” or an aftermarket fix. The totality of the jacket needs to be looked at. There are some things that look a bit off, but with Cals, who knows. And I’ve owned Cals without the Chewbacca-lined cuffs. Most had no labels. Unless we can ID it as something else, it’s a Cal. Haha. Whatever, awesome jacket. I always would stop and take a sneaky peaky when I passed this jacket on eBay.

Davisleathernyc

Familiar Face
I have. No idea if it’s just a custom “one- off” or an aftermarket fix. The totality of the jacket needs to be looked at. There are some things that look a bit off, but with Cals, who knows. And I’ve owned Cals without the Chewbacca-lined cuffs. Most had no labels. Unless we can ID it as something else, it’s a Cal. Haha. Whatever, awesome jacket. I always would stop and take a sneaky peaky when I passed this jacket on eBay.
I was surprised that it stayed up for so long, I have a feeling it’s made of really good leather but I’m not sure. I’ll post more pics when it arrives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch