Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can someone please help me find this type of leather jacket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward

Bartender
Interesting to see the final product on this. It's been a really interesting project to watch, definitely much trickier than reproducing a jacket with an original to copy from .Reminds me in some ways of my long years in the Rocky Horror community; the film itself was around as an active cult for many years before it was available on home video. Before home video, you had to rely on memory from the cinema plus the available, published photos for costume details. Then the video came out, and that helped, but it wasn't until the DVD arrived for the 25th Anniversary that many long, hotly contested debates about some costume elements were finally settled. (And even then...!)

The finish on the leather is interesting, I like the coppery-tone it has on the 'rubbed' areas. Be interesting to see how that hide ages.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They did a good job on this one! Curious to see how you will feel about the fit when you get it.

Good thing you jumped in the pool! Imagine you had given up, you would be missing out. :)

I was thinking about accuracy, why is being as accurate as possible on a film/game/anime jacket that important? If you think about it, when you find a jacket you like, you like what you perceive of it and not the jacket itself. So why not get your version of jacket you really liked as opposed to that exact jacket?

I think you might already be veering this way as you are thinking of getting this in another colour. But why not go a step further and make the next version more to your liking even if less accurate?

MrProper

It does look extremely well made and the leather looks beautiful. One thing I notice though is that the overall dimensions seem to be quite different from the original. As you can see in the pic on the lower left the original has those droopy shoulders which were typical for the late 80s / early 90s. From the shoulders down to the bottom hem of the body the jacket actually shows somewhat of a v shape (the shoulders are wider than the bottom hem).

The shoulders on the repro seem to follow the natural shoulder (they're much more narrow) and the body looks to be much wider than the shoulder. I could be wrong though, it's difficult to assess with the jacket laying flat. Do you have pics of Shawn wearing the jacket? What's the weight of the jacket? That much steerhide must weigh a ton.

View attachment 406150
The jacket is not my thing at all, but it seems to be well made. But I did not expect otherwise. 5* produces mm exactly when the specifications are detailed and accurate.
I wish you much fun with the jacket and I hope it is as you imagined it.

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
Interesting to see the final product on this. It's been a really interesting project to watch, definitely much trickier than reproducing a jacket with an original to copy from .Reminds me in some ways of my long years in the Rocky Horror community; the film itself was around as an active cult for many years before it was available on home video. Before home video, you had to rely on memory from the cinema plus the available, published photos for costume details. Then the video came out, and that helped, but it wasn't until the DVD arrived for the 25th Anniversary that many long, hotly contested debates about some costume elements were finally settled. (And even then...!)

The finish on the leather is interesting, I like the coppery-tone it has on the 'rubbed' areas. Be interesting to see how that hide ages.
Thank you sir! And yes, even though it's technically a "final product", I will definitely order a second version of it with some adjustments. Because first, I don't think there's any way such an "experimental" custom made jacket based on many educated guesses regarding measurements will be perfect. Adjustments will be needed for sure. On the other hand, creating the 2nd jacket is, I was told by Five*, a piece of cake really, not only in terms of speed but also in terms of work/effort. It's only the first one that requires an immense amount of work.

I'm glad you can see how tricky this was to recreate, and I find your comparison to the Rocky Horror community quite interesting. Yes, the coppery tones I really love as well, and even requested it that way. :D

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
Many thanks to all of you who replied to the pictures! :) I'd like to specifically address this post:
Trying on will really be the test. If you're happy with it and your goals were met, that's what matters, not anyone else's opinion. So enjoy your new jacket, and wear it in good health.
I totally agree with you that unless you have a jacket in your hands and on your body, you can't really know how it will feel, no matter how many pictures or even videos of it you have. Despite that, however, I've already decided that I will be getting a second version of it definitely. First and foremost because I find it impossible for a reproduction of such an unusual type of jacket to turn out nearly perfect on the very first try, so there will probably be adjustments needed. I mean, keep in mind that around 50% of the measurements if not more were due to educated guesses based on screenshots (!) and slightly similar jackets. The chances of this first jacket ("prototype") fitting and behaving perfectly the way I want it, are not enormously high... so yeah, a second one is a sure thing. It will DEFINITELY be "wearable" and maybe even pretty comfortable based on what I've seen on a video call on a person, but whether it's "optimal" is a different question. And the second reason for the second jacket would be simply because I like the original so much, I want to have two versions with slight differences. Actually, even if the first one fits me just the way I want it, I will still order a second one with some slight adjustments. Insane, I know. :D

Although I've mentioned it before, a 2nd jacket is very easy to do, and would be a much faster process also with lower costs. It is only the first one that was tricky and much time consuming.

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
They did a good job on this one! Curious to see how you will feel about the fit when you get it.

Good thing you jumped in the pool! Imagine you had given up, you would be missing out. :)

I was thinking about accuracy, why is being as accurate as possible on a film/game/anime jacket that important? If you think about it, when you find a jacket you like, you like what you perceive of it and not the jacket itself. So why not get your version of jacket you really liked as opposed to that exact jacket?

I think you might already be veering this way as you are thinking of getting this in another colour. But why not go a step further and make the next version more to your liking even if less accurate?
Great point, and I was actually advised on this approach by some people offline that have nothing to do with this forum. Simply keeping the elements of the jacket you love the most, eliminating those you dislike the most, and adjusting that which you feel would make it even better. Something along those lines. Maybe if I decide to do a third version of it. I mean, a second one is certain, although I won't rush it. A third one, if I decide on it, would then probably be the way you were getting at in your post, and what I have just described. Adjusting / improving it to get even more satisfaction.

But if we're speaking strictly about screen accuracy and nothing else, then in that case it's really the goal to make it as screen accurate as possible. And that's an extremely difficult task, much more difficult than what people think, especially if you don't have sufficient information.

BTW I should get this first one by Monday if I'm lucky.

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
Update:

Package will be shipped later today, and I expect it to arrive Friday at the latest! :D I live in Germany and it's getting shipped from Germany, because Shawn is at his brother's place in Düsseldorf right now. He was kind enough to follow my request a few days ago and finish the jacket prior to traveling, so he can take it with him to Germany instead of it having it sent from Pakistan, longer shipping time, having to go through customs, maybe getting possible delays, etc., so this was the best way to do it really.

His brother, also a leather expert who has now seen the jacket in real life for the first time and examined it, tells me that I will be absolutely amazed. He says they visit many fashion shows including in Milano etc., and this is on the level of the highest quality designer jackets, in both of their opinions just incredibly amazing!

Edward

Bartender

Reminds me of the Wested Indy jackets. When Wested made the first jackets, which became the ones used in Raiders, they were done in a bit of a rush and had details that they wouldn't have normally put on a commercial jacket. A lot of that was changed for the standard production model, a compromise between full authenticity and what would work better in practice and be more 'wearable'. (Most of their jackets, I don't think it unfair to say, end up being worn most of the time in convention centres and at costume events, though I have worn a Raiders goathide model 'in the field' in London, Delhi and Beijing and it performed very well.) In more recent years, they reintroduced the 'Hero' spec, true to the originals, with all the things they "corrected" for the publicly available models. Leather facings on the inside behind the zips, hardware colour, body shape, shoulder line, that sort of stuff. A more wearable jacket as a garment, though some obviously still want the screen-worn pattern, "defects" and all. I supposed it keeps coming back to what you want out of it. I still have the itch to reproduce, badges and all, Dr Frank 'n' Furter's leather jacket one day, even though a plain, 59er Highwayman, unfringed, is what I would far prefer for 'me' as opposed to Frank...

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
He says they visit many fashion shows including in Milano etc., and this is on the level of the highest quality designer jackets, in both of their opinions just incredibly amazing!
Lol they're really selling it to you. This is what luxury fashion looks like.

26441BD9-435D-4361-8AC3-9E151732A98B.jpeg
93A49F8C-EAAF-4A17-8997-0E7CC7D0D929.jpeg
06127AA7-B531-4A7A-8635-382A30EAF2E2.jpeg
8344BBE0-C129-47E1-8047-A8CF133253F5.jpeg
8B31A5C7-8D4D-49B3-B5D4-07C22FDA5ED8.jpeg
DC01409C-8AD1-4D53-8DC2-6FEAE81622C6.jpeg
EC622820-3BBB-46B4-81A8-7584D2A2F560.jpeg

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
Thank you for your contribution. I'm unsure how to interpret this post, if it's another way of saying that they're being dishonest with me, but regardless, without offending anyone (since everyone is being totally honest): Just like most people here would not wear my jacket, I would also never wear the jacket in these pictures you posted.

I'm sure it's "luxury fashion" and the brand is high quality and expensive, but really, no thank you. If someone gave it to me for free I would either give it back, or take it and sell it, or give it as a gift to a person who loves it.

If everyone can be "brutally honest", I'm sure so can I, lol. It's just a forum with opinions that people need to accept, I was told recently.

There's also a chance I misinterpreted your post, so sorry if that's the case, but my point still stands: this can be considered luxury x 1000, I would never ever want it. Nonetheless I respect all of those who would wear it and love it.

My two cents. :)

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Thank you for your contribution. I'm unsure how to interpret this post, if it's another way of saying that they're being dishonest with me, but regardless, without offending anyone (since everyone is being totally honest): Just like most people here would not wear my jacket, I would also never wear the jacket in these pictures you posted.
It seems to me that you take every remark/comment as an offence, even tough it's not. No one said anything about anyone being dishonest.
I'm sure it's "luxury fashion" and the brand is high quality and expensive, but really, no thank you. If someone gave it to me for free I would either give it back, or take it and sell it, or give it as a gift to a person who loves it.

If everyone can be "brutally honest", I'm sure so can I, lol. It's just a forum with opinions that people need to accept, I was told recently.
There's also a chance I misinterpreted your post, so sorry if that's the case, but my point still stands: this can be considered luxury x 1000, I would never ever want it. Nonetheless I respect all of those who would wear it and love it.

I didn't ask whether or not you'd wear these jackets (I don't think you would because these are women's jackets lol).

You said:

He says they visit many fashion shows including in Milano etc., and this is on the level of the highest quality designer jackets, in both of their opinions just incredibly amazing!

In other words: the 5* jacket is at the same quality level as high end luxury jackets.

I agree that it looks like a well constructed jacket but I wouldn't say it's high end luxury quality level. Actually, I think that's total nonsense. 'Highest quality designer jackets' are much more detailed, are made of much fancier leather and hardware, utilize well thought through patterns, etc etc. And to substantiate my point I added some pics of highly detailed luxury fashion jackets.

Because 5* and 'Highest quality designer jackets' are worlds apart, I commented that they're selling it on you.

1646227863312.png

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
It seems to me that you take every remark/comment as an offence, even tough it's not. No one said anything about anyone being dishonest.

I didn't ask whether or not you'd wear these jackets (I don't think you would because these are women's jackets lol).

You said:

In other words: the 5* jacket is at the same quality level as high end luxury jackets.

I agree that it looks like a well constructed jacket but I wouldn't say it's high end luxury quality level. Actually, I think that's total nonsense. 'Highest quality designer jackets' are much more detailed, are made of much fancier leather and hardware, utilize well thought through patterns, etc etc. And to substantiate my point I added some pics of highly detailed luxury fashion jackets.

Because 5* and 'Highest quality designer jackets' are worlds apart, I commented that they're selling it on you.

View attachment 406427
Hello again,

(a) No one said anything about anyone, in this case Five*, being dishonest to me.

(b) Five* claiming that my jacket is very high quality designer level is total nonsense, they are actually worlds apart.

Logically, only one option can be picked.

The definition you posted about "selling someone on something" was exactly what I thought it meant.

But you're 100% right about the "taking offense" thing. I need thicker skin (no pun intended). :D

Best wishes.

red devil

Hello again,

(a) No one said anything about anyone, in this case Five*, being dishonest to me.

(b) Five* claiming that my jacket is very high quality designer level is total nonsense, they are actually worlds apart.

Logically, only one option can be picked.

The definition you posted about "selling someone on something" was exactly what I thought it meant.

But you're 100% right about the "taking offense" thing. I need thicker skin (no pun intended). :D

Best wishes.

As you must have noticed, there is a lot to learn regarding jackets. @Marc mndt is trying to show you the differences in construction. It certainly is not a way to put you, your jacket or Five Star down. I personally really appreciate these posts because I learnt a lot from his and other members' detailed explanations .

Before growing a thicker skin, realise that not all these messages are attacks, a lot of them are opinions, comments, etc.

Personally I would rather be told if something is wrong in a new jacket I am posting, or if people don't like it. It is much nicer to have direct feedback you can trust.

And your logic is not necessarily applicable, Five Star are proud of their work and they might be over-enthusiastic about the work they have done (it was a huge effort and very well executed to really exacting details). they might believe that high end luxury is over-rated (there is a lot of variation in construction quality even in the same lines of the same brands), etc.

In short, enjoy the jacket, hang around to brush up your knowledge, get some inspiration, order more jackets, post them for discussion, etc. This is what this forum is for :)

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
@Zangy003 has every reason to be a little circumspect about people's comments on his tastes and opinions, just based on how he's been treated by some on here. I think he responded very well, and didn't take the bait (whether it was intended as such or not), nor did he escalate, which is wonderful to see. Kudos.

Regarding "fashion" and "luxury" these are terms that are not always synonymous with quality. There's an association, and perhaps an expectation of quality, but there's plenty of examples of "high fashion" items that are poorly constructed, poorly designed, and ugly as hell.

Luxury is a word that can mean different things to different people, and to some having a custom made leather jacket made to exacting specifications is a luxury. It certainly isn't a necessity. It may not be a prestigious brand label, but that often doesn't add much, if any, value to a product. But there are people who will pay way more just to have that label.

I haven't handled a jacket from Five Star in person, so I have no comment to make about their quality. Being made in Pakistan, they're certainly going to be much less costly than the equivalent quality jacket made in the USA or in the UK or Japan. The cost of labor there is not on par; whether the skill of the makers and the quality of the materials used is or isn't, is a different matter, and one which I have no way to compare. From the photos it looks, at the very least, decent and what the customer asked for.

Being made in Pakistan, they're certainly going to be much less costly than the equivalent quality jacket made in the USA or in the UK or Japan.
Not necessarily true. Much of the RRL line is made in China, and is far more expensive than most anything made here in the US, UK or Japan. In most cases I suppose the "made in Pakistan" does equate to a retail cost savings but if an RRL piece carried a made in Pakistan label (vs China) it would still carry the same high price tag.

Five Star is a budget brand. The quality of material varies. Of late, it's definately improved. Shawn has told me that his goal is to remain cost effective and budget friendly. They have pushed the value for cost ratio about as far as it can go without raising prices.

Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Not necessarily true. Much of the RRL line is made in China, and is far more expensive than most anything made here in the US.
No, not necessarily true, but in the case of Five Star, they are considerably cheaper than comparable jackets made where labor is more expensive. You can see that reflected on the prices advertised on Five Star's website.

Some makers do exploit sweatshop labor in order to maximize profit. Not every maker in Pakistan or China is a sweatshop and some may pay a decent wage relative to the standard of living in the country of origin.

No, not necessarily true, but in the case of Five Star, they are considerably cheaper than comparable jackets made where labor is more expensive. You can see that reflected on the prices advertised on Five Star's website.

Some makers do exploit sweatshop labor in order to maximize profit. Not every maker in Pakistan or China is a sweatshop and some may pay a decent wage relative to the standard of living in the country of origin.
Yes agreed though the quality of material is far superior with say RRL to 5 Star. I'm anxious to get my hands on the HH he has, but his house offerings of cow and goat are several tiers below what I've handled from RRL. Maybe more in line with the standard POLO offerings, maybe not quite. The construction however, is every bit as good, perhaps even better and the cost can't be arqued with.

Of course with that in mind, all of my vintage jackets are far superior to all three. But maybe his new HH will finally crack the code. I hope so.

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
@Zangy003 has every reason to be a little circumspect about people's comments on his tastes and opinions, just based on how he's been treated by some on here. I think he responded very well, and didn't take the bait (whether it was intended as such or not), nor did he escalate, which is wonderful to see. Kudos.
I really appreciate this post of yours. I think you hit it spot on. :) The majority of this community who engaged with me have accepted me and helped me tremendously. The most important person in that regard is @Monitor, since he was the one who worked immensely on the drawing and trying to figure things out. But plenty of other people assisted me, even you, when you sent me the link to that vintage jacket I ordered. Many others who told me to not stop when I'm so close to getting what I want, who kept motivating me, et cetera, essentially pushed me over the edge (in a positive way, lol) in order to get this achieved. But when it comes to "not taking the bait", you are wrong. Because unfortunately I have taken the bait several days and weeks ago multiple times, even last night, but have now chosen a different approach which I will 100% stick to, meaning total ignore of anyone who engages in disrespectful, non-civil discourse. I will definitely try growing a thicker skin, but in general I try to have zero issues with hearing negative opinions expressed in a respectful manner. I do need a thicker skin for sure, but, I will not engage with anyone any longer who acts disrespectfully and posts ridicule. And no, I'm not talking about @Marc mndt's post at all, I didn't interpret his post as ridicule. I'm talking about other things that have happened, and I won't go into detail to avoid any derailment. Let's just say that starting today, if I decide to remain a member of this forum, I will simply not engage / respond to provocative behavior. I've got nothing against an occasional joke or some sarcasm, but there will be no reaction to straight out ridicule and inflammatory remarks. Period.
Regarding "fashion" and "luxury" these are terms that are not always synonymous with quality. There's an association, and perhaps an expectation of quality, but there's plenty of examples of "high fashion" items that are poorly constructed, poorly designed, and ugly as hell.
Agreed 100%. A perfect example for me personally would be "Philipp Plein", a brand here in Germany that adolescents drool over when they see someone wearing it. Look at their pants, shirts, jackets... and how much that stuff costs. Then analyze the actual products, their designs, and tell me if they are worth that much. Subjectively speaking, many if not most of his overpriced products look borderline ridiculous to me, but some of those same products cost a fortune and make people go "WOW, HE'S WEARING PHILIPP PLEIN!!!". I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. What is it about his clothes that makes it luxury or high quality? What justifies their price? What is it about the manufacturing and design of his clothes that's "special"? Did the pope bless them or something?

I'll find stuff on eBay, Etsy or NorthernGrip that is 20+ years old and looks (again, subjectively, a matter of taste) a million times better to me. So I'm not sure if you're on the same page as me, but... the whole fashion and luxury discussion is very difficult, because one side wants to force their opinion on the other person about why X is better than Y. How do you specifically quantify this "luxury" though, aside from simply saying the brand name or pointing to its high price?
Luxury is a word that can mean different things to different people, and to some having a custom made leather jacket made to exacting specifications is a luxury. It certainly isn't a necessity. It may not be a prestigious brand label, but that often doesn't add much, if any, value to a product. But there are people who will pay way more just to have that label.
Yeah, pretty much exactly my thoughts.
I haven't handled a jacket from Five Star in person, so I have no comment to make about their quality. Being made in Pakistan, they're certainly going to be much less costly than the equivalent quality jacket made in the USA or in the UK or Japan. The cost of labor there is not on par; whether the skill of the makers and the quality of the materials used is or isn't, is a different matter, and one which I have no way to compare. From the photos it looks, at the very least, decent and what the customer asked for.
There are plenty of people who handled them in the official FiveStar thread. I won't be able to give you my personal opinion until I get mine in a few days, but like I said multiple times before, it will definitely need some adjustments, meaning a second version is a sure thing, the only question is what exactly will be adjusted, and how soon I'll find the time to get around to specifying all of that. To be honest, I'll need a short break after getting this first one, lol. :D

Formeruser012524

One of the Regulars
As you must have noticed, there is a lot to learn regarding jackets. @Marc mndt is trying to show you the differences in construction. It certainly is not a way to put you, your jacket or Five Star down. I personally really appreciate these posts because I learnt a lot from his and other members' detailed explanations .

Before growing a thicker skin, realise that not all these messages are attacks, a lot of them are opinions, comments, etc.

Personally I would rather be told if something is wrong in a new jacket I am posting, or if people don't like it. It is much nicer to have direct feedback you can trust.

And your logic is not necessarily applicable, Five Star are proud of their work and they might be over-enthusiastic about the work they have done (it was a huge effort and very well executed to really exacting details). they might believe that high end luxury is over-rated (there is a lot of variation in construction quality even in the same lines of the same brands), etc.

In short, enjoy the jacket, hang around to brush up your knowledge, get some inspiration, order more jackets, post them for discussion, etc. This is what this forum is for :)
I believe the possibility exists that a significant amount of people misinterpreted my intentions when I joined this forum in the first place, especially the purpose of this thread. I'm someone who is not fixated on a particular version of clothing style or who particularly cares what someone thinks about what I am wearing. I don't care about being modern, nor am I obsessed with shoulder seams sitting directly on my shoulders, and I especially don't care about wearing brand names and displaying them with huge letters on a shirt or something. I wear clothes that I feel comfortable in, that make me, personally, feel good. And this jacket I've managed to get reproduced is one of them, and it will be one of many. So even though I truly appreciate and am also becoming more interested in the main focus of this forum, for example all of these pilot jackets, A2, G1, etc., I still confess that my main interest is in simply wearing things I feel comfortable in, not obsessing about "accurate fit" at all, actually preferring oversized garments, and my biggest focus is in reproducing / acquiring "unusual" jackets I've seen in various videos or photos. Brushing up on my knowledge is great, and I appreciate anyone trying to help me "understand" leather jackets better. But people should also be aware that even though I love wearing leather jackets, my love for them is different than the love about 99% of people have for them on this forum. I think (hope) you understand what I am trying to say.

red devil

As far as I understand you joined this forum to get help getting an oversized jacket as accurate as possible as that X-files episode you mentioned. You were also aware that your love for oversized jackets might seem weird and were expecting to be ridiculed from the beginning if I remember correctly.

You still got far more help then you expected, overthought the whole process until you finally ordered the jacket and are happy with what you have seen so far.

And now you worry that some of us might dictate what the correct fit is.

Did I read this correctly?

If I did read correctly, I will say this:

- Yes, it is unusual that someone wants oversized jacket. There are certain guidelines for fit, and some people obsess over the "perfect" fit. But then again, different people like different fits. So as long as you are happy with your fit, isn't that the most important?

- People over here tend to have a dislike of fashion brands, the consensus being that you are generally paying too much for the brand and not necessarilty getting a good quality product. But some members have showed us that you can get excellent products from fashion brands, but it is a matter of really knowing what to look for. @Marc mndt comments were an example of what to look for in terms of construction. In short, the quality of the products of thesebrands is variable and you are still paying for the name.

You sum it best here

I wear clothes that I feel comfortable in, that make me, personally, feel good

This is the most important advice one can give.

But this doesn't get in the way of understanding the different types of jackets, what makes for good or bad construction, the variety of leathers available and their characteristics, etc.
After all it was thanks to knowledgeable people especially @Monitor that you were able to get your jacket made.

The more time you spend here - if you decide to do so - the more you will understand this hobby and it will likely lead to an evolution in your taste. I have seen many forum members - myself included - wear jackets that they never thought they could pull off or that they disliked at first. This is the fun part!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24