Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
so ...late 40's or 50's ;)

I agree. Just looking at the pin on the back of the brooch tells me that it's probably not from the 20s. More than likely, a 20s brooch wouldn't have a locking clasp for the pin.

epr25

Practically Family
I have a quick question. I am working at a local vintage clothing store and there was beautiful sea foam green and peachy pink flapper hat that cam in yesterday. I have a luncheon for the historical society that my friend and I are going in full vintage of course to. I am usually a 40's or 50's gal but that cloche is to die for. I have some 20's traditional drop waist dresses but they make me look like a block. I was wondering if it would be appropriate to wear a cloche with the dress shown below? I was thinking with some t-strap shoes? What do you ladies think? Also what do you think about dying the dress to match the hat?

flapper.jpg
[/IMG]

flapper1.jpg
[/IMG]

leaette

A-List Customer
Hi ladies. I've been absent from the lounge for a bit, i was dealing with some issues on the homefront and haven't been in the mood to chat much.
anyway....so the 90 year old lady 2 doors down from me went into a nursing home last week and her family is clearing out her stuff. everything was donated to charity but i caught this in time. it's exactly what i've been looking for for a few years for my eat in kitchen. it's in almost brand new shape. i'm soooooo excited. and it has a built in leaf too. comes with 4 chairs that we are picking up tomorrow. got it for $100. does anyone have any idea when it was made? i'm thinking late 30's, early 40's??? it's all wood.
i just love the black painted art deco lines on the top.
i got some other furniture for free too. will post that later.
stuff001-1.jpg

stuff002-1.jpg

Sunny

One Too Many
To me, it's got a streamlined look to it, like a 1950s car! Somehow it's not 1930s to me, although as you say the lines are there. But I'm no expert. I wish I had a house to furnish with cool stuff like that! What a steal! Can you add in pictures of the chairs when you get them?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
epr25 said:
Also what do you think about dying the dress to match the hat?

I would be careful about dying the dress unless you are 100% sure you know what the fiber content is! If it's cotton it'll be fine, if it's a blend you're unsure of, I'd steer clear. You never know how well it'll take the dye.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
leaette said:
i'm thinking late 30's, early 40's??? it's all wood.

stuff001-1.jpg

Gorgeous table! I'd post it in the Display Case. There are a lot of guys here who know furniture but who are unlikely to check the PR.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
leaette said:
anyway....so the 90 year old lady 2 doors down from me went into a nursing home last week and her family is clearing out her stuff. everything was donated to charity but i caught this in time. it's exactly what i've been looking for for a few years for my eat in kitchen. it's in almost brand new shape. i'm soooooo excited. and it has a built in leaf too. comes with 4 chairs that we are picking up tomorrow. got it for $100. does anyone have any idea when it was made? i'm thinking late 30's, early 40's??? it's all wood.

One thought -- are there any markings on the bottom? Often with old kitchen tables and the like there'll be a manufacturer's date code stamped on the bottom -- sometime's it's as simple as a 9-5-37 or something easy to decipher like that.

My guess? 1935-36, based on similar things I've seen in catalogs.

texasgirl

One Too Many
epr25 said:
I have a quick question. I am working at a local vintage clothing store and there was beautiful sea foam green and peachy pink flapper hat that cam in yesterday. I have a luncheon for the historical society that my friend and I are going in full vintage of course to. I am usually a 40's or 50's gal but that cloche is to die for. I have some 20's traditional drop waist dresses but they make me look like a block. I was wondering if it would be appropriate to wear a cloche with the dress shown below? I was thinking with some t-strap shoes? What do you ladies think? Also what do you think about dying the dress to match the hat?

flapper.jpg
[/IMG]

flapper1.jpg
[/IMG]

I was watching O Brother last night and saw dresses like this with cloches and it looked great. Not sure about dying it- I guess if you're confident in knowing how and all that, you could do it.

Great find leaette!!!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would want to see the cloche to see if it will work with the dress - there are early cloches and late ones, and some will and some won't go... Is it the kind of cloche that exposes the forehead (1928-1930) or the kind that comes all the way down over the eyebrows(1926 to 1928)? The dress could range from 1930 to 33 easily. I guess it also depends on how much you care if you are all the same period! Beautiful dress.

That table screams 1929 to 1933 to me! I have seen many like it in magazines of that period. And I am envious, what a find!

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
leaette said:
does anyone have any idea when it was made? i'm thinking late 30's, early 40's??? it's all wood.
i got some other furniture for free too. will post that later.
stuff001-1.jpg
>This is truly a wonderfull find! And if that isn't true art deco I will eat my really ugly 30s hat!

I am pretty sure that table is from somewhere in the 20s-30s, most probably 30s. And its amazingly well preserved.

I want it! You are lucky that I would never be able to fit this in the luggage, or I would fly over and steal it!:p

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
WOW! What a great table! And very 30's! Love it!

Epr25, I'm guessing the dress is late 40's by the cut of the bodice and false front, but I could be wrong. And I see no reason why you couldn't wear a cloche with it if you want to. It's got some earlier stylings to it.

Aorta

Familiar Face
May I add a question? I saw this video and fell in love with the dress she wears. I'm a complete amateur when it comes to dating clothes but because of the slightly puffed sleeves I guess it might be from the 40's (?). I really like the little ruffle in the back and the lace at the v-neck and sleeves. To me, it almost looks like a nightgown. Oh, any tips for similar sewing patterns would be appreciated :).

Smuterella

One Too Many
Tigerlily said:
Would you guys say this is mid/late 50s?

121_238.jpg

i like it, I'd say early 60's but I'm no expert

I'm saying this mainly due to the neckline (which is almost 70's really). the label certainly suggests 60's to me with the styling of the lettering.

I've not seen anything like it, part wiggle dress, part plunge. Its really fun.

ehappy

Familiar Face
Tigerlily, I did a quick search on google news for "Jane Winthrop" dress, and this advertisement came up from the Porstmouth Herald...dated Jan. 1955. I can't find reference for any other dates.

The Portsmouth Herald (Newspaper) - January 7, 1955, Portsmouth, New...
Subscription - Portsmouth Herald, The - NewspaperArchie - Jan 7, 1955
1425 Portsmouth JANUARY CLEARANCE Jane Winthrop, Classic Lady DRESSES SKIRTS 20% DISCOUNT! Stephany's Shop Packer's Falls Rd., Newmarket Tasty, tender. ... Related web pages

Tigerlily said:
Would you guys say this is mid/late 50s?

121_238.jpg

121_244.jpg
121_245.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic