Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

Sunny

One Too Many
That's late 1940s, all right - I want to say 1949, but I welcome correction. The flared pockets and hip emphasis is very distinctive. The front pleating is a nice touch, too! Very pretty!

Rachael said:
I recently inherited a few pieces from a distant relative, not sure what year they are from. I know she was married in the late '40s and her kids were born soon after. By the time I knew her she was no longer this size.

bluedress.jpg

bluedresscollar.jpg

bluedresspocket.jpg

The waist has a great cartridge/channel pleated detail and I love the beading at the collar. The fabric is a heavy wool crepe. When worn, the pockets flair out at the hips creating a wedge look.

Mary

Practically Family
I saw this this morning and started thinking and looking through books and tried to see if I could narrow it down to a year like some of you do. I could saw 3 years and 1949 were one of it so it's probably correct. I'm very impressed by you Sunny!

I love the colour! I'd love to see it on you.

M

Mary

Practically Family
I've actually got a question about a bracelet I got quite recently.

The lady said it was ivory but I believe she was a girl when she got it so (cause it's a little to small for me) and then everythings diamonds! It would also be odd to have ivory and a simple piece of elastic string holding it together.

It seems to be carved or sawed out. The smaller ones aren't shiny but the bigger is a little shiny.

I hope it isn't ivory like she said cause then I'd feel a little cruel. I just would like to know cause she seemed so certain.

HAHA!!lol lol Saw the picture now and my fingers looks like worms. Hope you can take it! So absurd!

byxa013.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I recently had a set that I was sure was ivory - it had that grainy texture and had been carved out. I took it to a jeweler and they told me that it was not ivory or bone, but probably some type of plastic. Your best bet is to take it to a jeweler, or do a google search. There is some information online about testing for ivory vs. plastic, though I never had much luck with the "hot pin test" for plastic.

Miss 1929 said:
but vintage, pre-ban ivory is cool, recycled and cruelty-free!
Just don't go buying any new ivory.

Eh, that really depends on how you look at it.

Aurora

One of the Regulars
It's a dangerous subject - Ivory - Same as fur. Personally, if it's vintage I don't mind as I couldn't have done anything to save the creature. But new fur/ivory/bone etc, I am dead against the trade.

It's of course down to personal taste, same as most things.
It's reminded me, I've got a brooch to show you - I'll photograph it tomorrow and ask the all important question!

Your bracelet's gorgeous though :D

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
this one is older than what i usually collect. approximate year, anyone? it's in incredible shape, the fabric is a very small gingham check, and the buttons are black and seem to be glass. there are so many intricate gathers in it! thanks for any help you can give!

2494077032_2110e6f8e1_b.jpg

miss_elise

Practically Family
Miss 1929 said:
but vintage, pre-ban ivory is cool, recycled and cruelty-free!
Just don't go buying any new ivory.

it could also be some not-elephant ivory... i know walrus is calssified as ivory... there's something else as well... hmmm

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
ShooShooBaby said:
this one is older than what i usually collect. approximate year, anyone? it's in incredible shape, the fabric is a very small gingham check, and the buttons are black and seem to be glass. there are so many intricate gathers in it! thanks for any help you can give!

2494077032_2110e6f8e1_b.jpg

Looks like a take on a prairie/frontier dress. As far as its age (repo or no) I have no clue. :eek:

LD

Rachael

A-List Customer
ShooShooBaby, do you have any pictures of the lining? It looks like a day dress from the mid 19th century but it could be a repro. If it's an original, the fashion fabric on the bodice would be fitted over a base lining. It would also have a 'fiddle back' and all of the seams would be to the inside, not encased between the lining and fashion fabric.

Also, the skirt would need to be at least 3 panels to allow for either a hoop or multiple petticoats. And there would be narrow piping at the armscyes and neck.

or I could have stopped at 'do you have pictures' I suppose.

Mary

Practically Family
Thanks for you replies. I'll let you know if I go to a jeweler. It seems very tricky to test it yourself. And Miss 1929 I'm not sure I agree with you but I'd definitely not buy any new ivory.

Rachel. That's not to much. I love that kind of information. Looking forward to more pictures ShooShooBaby!

cassylynn

One of the Regulars
Please Help.....I'm quite in a jam...

I've got 2 dresses that I am undecided of what to do. I would love to sell them on eBay but I am very afraid that I will misinterpret them and end up ruining my perfect feedback and making the buyer quite unhappy. My other option is to sell them at the yard sale that I am having at the end of the month, the problem is that I don't want to ask to little for them. OR I know I could put them in the classifieds here then at least I would have the peace of heart that it went to a loving home. I bought these 2 dresses 17 years ago, when I was 13 for around $30 each. The flapper dress was flawed then but I fell in love with it and still am so I'm undecided about this one. The wedding dress was to be the one I wanted to wear lol Oh how it soooo does not fit, I'm assuming it is a Modern size '0' lol Everyone's insight would be greatly appreciated..Sorry for the long post

20's Flapper Dress - Black Crepe that is in need of a lot of TLC

FlapperDress_101.jpg

Details - Wooden Beading, Lace Panels and Lace Bell Sleeves w/ Elbow Cut-outs (The left sleeve is terribly worn through the threads are just hanging)

FlapperDress_102.jpg
FlapperDress_105.jpg
FlapperDress_104.jpg
FlapperDress_103.jpg

Here is the Wedding Dress. I don't know the era. But it is in Perfect Condition

WeddingDress_101.jpg
WeddingDress_103.jpg
WeddingDress_104.jpg

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
cassylynn, I'm glad to see someone else who loved vintage even as a youngster.
I would try posting the lovely dresses on our Classifieds here first. 20s dresses are hard to find and it's a given they will need a lot of TLC, and yours is especially nice with all the details. I wouldn't try to sell it at a yard sale as people are cheapskates and almost always ask you to lower the price, which would be an insult.
My mom estimated the wedding dress is late 50s or early 60s. Beautiful cut, details and fabric. I'd try it in our Classifieds, why not, and then eBay.
Ashley

cassylynn

One of the Regulars
BegintheBeguine said:
cassylynn, I'm glad to see someone else who loved vintage even as a youngster.
I would try posting the lovely dresses on our Classifieds here first. 20s dresses are hard to find and it's a given they will need a lot of TLC, and yours is especially nice with all the details. I wouldn't try to sell it at a yard sale as people are cheapskates and almost always ask you to lower the price, which would be an insult.
My mom estimated the wedding dress is late 50s or early 60s. Beautiful cut, details and fabric. I'd try it in our Classifieds, why not, and then eBay.
Ashley

Thank You! The more I think about the more I'm at ease with putting them on the classifieds here. I will let everyone know what I decide. Has anyone ever reconstructed a vintage flapper dress? I just don't know where I would find the lace..

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Shooshoobaby, the dress looks like a costume to me, probably constructed somewhere around the 1950's. The whole "pioneer" thing was really popular at that time! It's got more of a modern cut to it with detailing of the 50's, which is why I say that. Still a really cute dress!

cassylynn, the first dress is indeed 20's and must have been amazing when it was new! The design is just fab! but the lace would really need to be replaced, or if the tears aren't quite so bad, backed in a black tulle. The second dress is probably late 50's/early 60's. Really cute!
I've heard rave reviews of Lacis, and Farmhouse Fabrics is good, too :)

cassylynn

One of the Regulars
Lauren said:
cassylynn, the first dress is indeed 20's and must have been amazing when it was new! The design is just fab! but the lace would really need to be replaced, or if the tears aren't quite so bad, backed in a black tulle. The second dress is probably late 50's/early 60's. Really cute!
I've heard rave reviews of Lacis, and Farmhouse Fabrics is good, too :)

Thank You Lauren & Miss 1929 for the links!

I have found this piece of lace it is 12' by 3'. What do you gals think is it a match or close? Will the yardage be enough? It is vintage....

37a.jpg
37b.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think it can be a better match

cassylynn said:
Thank You Lauren & Miss 1929 for the links!

I have found this piece of lace it is 12' by 3'. What do you gals think is it a match or close? Will the yardage be enough? It is vintage....

37a.jpg
37b.jpg

If you send your pics to Lacis, they can match it. They have tons! Their store is here in Berkeley and very drool-worthy.
I can't remember the name for that type of lace... with the satiny looking parts... I will look it up.

cassylynn

One of the Regulars
Classifieds....

Just to let you gals know I've posted the wedding dress in the classifieds today. Thanks for all your help I will let you know what I decide about the 20's dress. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou