Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

cassylynn

One of the Regulars
The Salvation Army

Can anyone tell me about this? I found this wonderful hat at a thrift shop a few years back and wanted to see if I could match the rest of the outfit that would have been worn with this but I'm stuck on the year. I though it would have been around the war era, but when I search pictures the hat never matches.

SalvationArmyHat.jpg

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Hmm... I just looked it up in a woman's uniform book I have and it's not pictured. My guess is that it's modern (post 1960's)? I don't know! [huh]

cassylynn

One of the Regulars
Heres the inside and the tag. I believe it is a womans hat because it does have a bow at the back, very feminine. I wouldn't be upset if it is post 1960, it's still cute lol

SalvationArmyHat_102.jpg
SalvationArmyHat_103.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
cassylynn said:

Here is your answer, from Wikipedia:

The Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America was a United States labor union known for its support for "social unionism" and progressive political causes. Led by Sidney Hillman for its first thirty years, it helped found the Congress of Industrial Organizations. It merged with the Textile Workers Union of America in 1976 to form the Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union.

cassylynn

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
Here is your answer, from Wikipedia:

The Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America was a United States labor union known for its support for "social unionism" and progressive political causes. Led by Sidney Hillman for its first thirty years, it helped found the Congress of Industrial Organizations. It merged with the Textile Workers Union of America in 1976 to form the Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union.

Thank you so much KittyT. Wikipedia is the answer to everything lol

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lauren said:
Hmm... I just looked it up in a woman's uniform book I have and it's not pictured. My guess is that it's modern (post 1960's)? I don't know! [huh]

Lauren-May I please ask what book you used as reference and your thoughts on its content? I haven't found a good Woman's Uniform book yet.

Thank you.

KittyT: Great work! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Vintage Betty

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Vintage Betty said:
Lauren-May I please ask what book you used as reference and your thoughts on its content? I haven't found a good Woman's Uniform book yet.

Yes, it's Dressed for Duty, the second volume, by Jill Halcomb Smith. I don't know much about uniforms but picked it up a while back when I was thinking of becoming more involved in re-enacting.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
hey, i forgot to give a THANK YOU to the ladies who tackled my red-dress query. i think i need to listen to my instincts more - i had guessed it was a mid-20th-century "old fashioned" costume! lol now if i could only figure out what the heck to do with it!

Rachael

A-List Customer
if you're looking to simply have it no longer in your closet, there are several non-profits who would be happy take it, then alter it slightly to make it work for a volunteer.

I know that Champoeg and End of the Oregon Trail offer interpretive tours and are always in need of items for costume closets (I've made/loaned several items to both). the Oregon Historical Society would have contacts for both locations.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
It's not gonna change the way I feel about them. I mean look how funky fantastic they are (even better once recovered)! I thought they at least looked 50s because of the metalness of 'em. But it would be nice to know. Any idea the age of these babies?

l_61ab13cf36510899a8cbeadc7ba0eb12.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Pink Dahlia said:
It's not gonna change the way I feel about them. I mean look how funky fantastic they are (even better once recovered)! I thought they at least looked 50s because of the metalness of 'em. But it would be nice to know. Any idea the age of these babies?

l_61ab13cf36510899a8cbeadc7ba0eb12.jpg

Do they have any identifying marks underneath, such as a maker's stamp? There are more people over in the OB who will probably know.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
Do they have any identifying marks underneath, such as a maker's stamp? There are more people over in the OB who will probably know.

No nothing. The cardboard cover has been ripped off both chairs. I posted 'em over in the Display Case. So far nothing. [huh] Heading over to the OB.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Pink Dahlia said:
No nothing. The cardboard cover has been ripped off both chairs. I posted 'em over in the Display Case. So far nothing. [huh] Heading over to the OB.

They look 60s to me, probably mid to late, but I'm no expert.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
KittyT said:
They look 60s to me, probably mid to late, but I'm no expert.

Late 60s to early 70s was my gut reaction, especially with the harvest gold colored seat cushions. These would look fab recovered in red vinyl!

Mary

Practically Family
This is one of my favourite treads. Hope you will help me date some suitjackets.

First a black one I haven't used cause it's sleeves are a little too short. But I like it so maybe that shouldn't stop me?!

When is it from? I'm thinking it's from the forties cause the fabric looks old and the sholders are a bit padded but I want to know. There are no labels.

Here's the pics:

2008_0609strand10010.jpg

2008_0609strand10005.jpg

2008_0609strand10016.jpg

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, that's a very nice 1940's jacket! You can choose to either lengthen the sleeves, or add lace or add an embellishment, like an extention of velvet to lengthe the sleeves to their proper length.

An alternate point of view is to shorten the sleeves to be 3/4 length. I did this with a moth-eaten jacket I had. The moths ate the sleeve ends.

Vintage Betty

Mary

Practically Family
And one more I just baught cheap out of curiosity and I'm thinking of trying to sell it. When is this from? And what about the fabric? When did they start to use these. Never seen them before. I think it looks just awful, like a carpet. :eek: But the shape of it is very nice.

2008_0609strand10004.jpg

2008_0609strand10006.jpg

2008_0609strand10017.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Mary said:
And one more I just baught cheap out of curiosity and I'm thinking of trying to sell it. When is this from? And what about the fabric? When did they start to use these. Never seen them before. I think it looks just awful, like a carpet. :eek: But the shape of it is very nice.

This jacket is probably 50s. It looks like it's made out of boucle, which was very popular in the 50s, though not limited to that era.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic