Can you help me date this item??

Discussion in 'The Powder Room' started by BonnieJean, Aug 5, 2006.

1. MarieAnne

MarieAnne Practically Family

Vinyl Clutch

I am making an Etsy listing for one of my vinyl clutches and I'm not sure of the era. The inside is Aqua Blue plastic (pretend leather), it is stamped "HONEY BAG" and "Made in U.S.A.". The zipper is metal and brassy. The pull reads "BELL". The hinges of the frame have a stamp. It looks like a "P" inside a layer cake, or crown (?). Any idea of the era?

2. Alice~

Alice~ One of the Regulars

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  3. Miss Tuppence

Miss Tuppence A-List Customer

Looks 40's to me- and its lovely:)

4. MissMittens

MissMittens One Too Many

Probably 1944-1947. I don't think from the pattern it would be later than 1948

5. Alice~

Alice~ One of the Regulars

Thank you so much Miss Tuppence (I love your blog!) and Roadier. :) Just a few little repairs to do and I think we'll be inseparable!

6. W-D Forties

W-D Forties Practically Family

I think it's definitely 70's by the print and that frill around the collar. Are you in Becnicks by arny chance poggleberry?

7. wahine

wahine Practically Family

8. MissMittens

MissMittens One Too Many

Definitely 1940's. I would have to really feel the material to give you a more firm date, but the pattern is definitely 1943-9

9. wahine

Wow, thank you! I thought it looked fourties, but I didn't know when polka dots really came up.
    By writing 1943-9, do you mean between 1943 and 1949 or September 1943 (which would be unbelievably precise!)?

Do you agree that the zipper was added later (photo is in the mother-to-daughter thread)?

10. MissMittens

MissMittens One Too Many

Sorry, I should have been clearer - 1943-1949. The zipper was clearly added later

11. wahine

No need to be sorry! Thanks again for your help. My friend and her ma will be happy she they made such a good pick although she has no clue about clothing styles. Just too sad that she doesn't. Who knows what treasures she will dispose of. I can't even think about it :eusa_doh:

12. MissMittens

MissMittens One Too Many

At least you should be well placed to get more goodies from her when they become available :)

13. wahine

Well, it's probably not possible to get more from her, unfortunately. She's so insecure about picking the right stuff and she has too much to send it all. So it'll go to the church or the trash can.

14. MissMittens

MissMittens One Too Many

Oh the sacrilege :(

15. wahine

You can say that. I keep grinding my brain how I can prevent the misery but I don't know. She doesn't even have a digi cam to make some snap shots of the other clothes, so I could make a pick from the distance... *sob*

16. MissMittens

MissMittens One Too Many

It's sad when that happens.....I've seen people throw WW2 uniforms in the trash because "no one will want them" :/

17. Lily Powers

Lily Powers Practically Family

Can you purchase an inexpensive digital camera and send it to her so she can take pics and send them to you? Or send you the memory card if she doesn't have a computer?

18. Sunny

Sunny One Too Many

Or maybe you can offer to take ALL of the clothing. Then at a glance you can pick out the good stuff and donate the rest. No waste.

19. wahine

Thank you for your ideas, ladies! :)

I talked to my friend about the idea to send a camera (I even have an old unused digicam that would be suitable for the purpose). Problem is, there are about 200 (!) large boxes full of things, mainly clothes. Not only that it's absolutely impossible to take them all, it even seems impossible that the two old ladies look up all those things. I made the proposition now that l might put an advert on the web, eg. ebay, that vintage people living in the same area might go and pick up the stuff.

But all of this is not really important at the moment - my friend's mom just had to go to the hospital. First of all, she has to get well. Afterwards, I might talk about clothes again.

20. Porcelina

Porcelina New in Town

A Little Jacket Mystery

Dear ladies,

Might I call on the font of your knowledge?

My boss found out I love vintage and let me play dress up with some clothes that belonged to her Grandmother. There's a '50s coat and a '30s dress, but I have a sneaky suspicion this little jacket is older, 1920s perhaps? I'm not so great at this era, but there's something about the detail on the sleeves and the cut that hints at being older than the other items. What do you all think? Her Grandmother was probably born 1890 - 1900 ish from working out rough ages.

I'd be ever so grateful for any thoughts!
    P x

[​IMG]
    Porcelina's World: mystery vintage jacket by Porcelina's World, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Porcelina's World: label from mystery jacket by Porcelina's World, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Porcelina's World: close up of sleeve on mystery jacket by Porcelina's World, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Porcelina's World: lining of mystery jacket by Porcelina's World, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Porcelina's World: detail on mystery jacket by Porcelina's World, on Flickr