Can you help me date this item??

Discussion in 'The Powder Room' started by BonnieJean, Aug 5, 2006.

1. epr25

epr25 Practically Family

I am going to be listing this for sale. I was actually wondering if anyone knows what this is called? It's a Shaheen piece. Great print too!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. virgi

virgi New in Town

it sort of looks like a vietnamese ao dai, without the pants

3. Katinka von K.

Katinka von K. A-List Customer

Totally off topic: I LOVE that lamp stand!

4. epr25

epr25 Practically Family

I have an old magazine that had an entire article on these when they were very in style but I can't find it. I do remember they were shown with pants about capri length.

5. villa

villa New in Town

Can you help me with this lovely coat please?

Hi!
    I would like to list this pretty coat, but don't know much about it. Would it be called an opera coat? It is, oh heck, I don't know the fabric. Kind of dressy, mid weight, made of tiny horizontal lines, fairly shiny, and has a fantastic iredescent lining with the names of vacation destinations like Paris, Rome, Mexico... Let me know if you have any questions that would help you answer my query. Thanks!!!
    I still can't figure out how to upload pics, so here is a link to those pics on flickr.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/80737359@N00/?saved=1

6. Miss sofia

Miss sofia One Too Many

Me too, sorry but that is the business!!

7. swinggal

swinggal One Too Many

The cut looks 50s to me. Doesn't look formal enough to be an opera coat I don't think. Maybe just an evening overcoat.

8. villa

villa New in Town

Swinggal, that is fantastic, thank you for the info!:eek:

9. Lily Powers

Lily Powers Practically Family

Villa, my grandmother had a beautiful dress with that same label. I remember it because "Couturier" was the most mysterious word I'd ever seen as a little girl. She kept patterns of all sorts, and the label was included in the Vogue pattern package. My guess on the style of the coat is mid to late 1950's, and I'd bet someone lovingly made it from one of those patterns.

10. Black Dahlia

Black Dahlia Call Me a Cab

Hiyas. I agree, late 50s, possibly early 60s.
    X
    BD

11. epr25

epr25 Practically Family

Hi I found this yesterday. What do you think Dress or Jacket? 30's 40's? The fabric is really nice rayon gab.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. RodeoRose

RodeoRose A-List Customer

Could it be a dressing gown? It reminds me very much of a '40s, or perhaps early '50s robe with the patch pockets and waist ties.

13. Sunny

Sunny One Too Many

I agree; I think it's a dressing gown/robe from somewhere in those years. But it buttons left over right, so it's a MEN'S robe. That also explains the broad shoulders and total lack of waist shaping.

14. Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful One of the Regulars

15. poggleberry

poggleberry One of the Regulars

I'd love your opinion on this dress, need your help dating it.
    The fabric feels like viscose crepe, it has a metal zip, hand finished, I don't think the labels original, can't decide if it's 1940's or 70's. Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Sunny

Sunny One Too Many

Hmm... I can't really tell from these details and pictures, except that the print looks a lot more 1970s than 1940s. Can you explain more about the belt? A common difference between 1940s and 70s-does-40s dresses is that 40s dresses virtually always have a true buckle, whereas 1970s dresses usually have a sash belt that ties. This one doesn't look like either version, but I'm inclined to put it as 70s because a buckle is so universal for the 40s. Still, I'm curious to know more.

17. poggleberry

Hi Sunny,
    Thanks for your reply, the belt has eyelets and a buckle, but it's not the original buckle as it doesn't have the bar to go in the holes, so I can't even date it off the buckle, the belt is also lined with very soft kid leather.
    This garment has puzzled me, what details would help? I can take some more photo's.

18. Lauren

Lauren Distinguished Service Award

Can you tell us, what is the seam finishing like on the inside? Overlocked seams or some other finish?
    I'm leaning towards 1940s, but the ruffle at the hem and the print (like Sunni says) have me a little thrown off.

19. poggleberry

It's machined with a small straight stitch, the raw edges are just folded over in places and hand finished or left raw. No zig zag stitch or overlocking.

20. Lily Powers

Lily Powers Practically Family

I can't make out the label, but that might be a help. Also, is the price tag attached to a size tag? How does the size read?