Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
I'm wondering if anyone can help me date this dress... It's home-sewn, probably in the States (it was bought in Beyond Retro and they import most of their clothes from the states). The print is roses in different shades of pink and green, all pretty abstract. I think the material is rayon (if not real silk - it's silk-like with a slight sheen). The inside seam edges are raw and not over-locked, because of how untidy they are, and some areas of hand-stitching, I think it's home made.

Sorry I haven't got better pictures... I'll take some if needed. It's got a high key-hole neckline that ties together, it's got a draw-string kind of waist and the same draw-string feature on the sleeves. The length is just below the knee (and seems to be the original length). It's very simple in design.

Any ideas of age?? Thank you ladies! :)

2-33.jpg

1-37.jpg

Last edited:

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
Someone gave this to me but it needs a small repair and is just not my style so I want to sell it. I have no clue though... 60s? Mid-late? Not Golden Era but I hope someone here might know.

redcoatsleeve.jpg

redcoatfront.jpg

redcoattag.jpg

Any help appreciated!

villa

New in Town
Miss Moonlight ~ looks 60's to me. That is what I would guess, but I am not certain, just the feel of it.

Here is this sweet and pretty dress I have. I think it is 30's, but I want to list it, so need a better idea about it. It is made of a black taffeta, that looks like it has small watermark pattern on it, and feels almost, well, just slightly waterproof on the inside. Any thoughts? On the back it has one hook and eye on the neck, and one at the waist, leaving an almost open slit up the back, and has small square snaps from the waist down about 9". It seems to be hand made, so, no label. Thanks!
(Can't do pics, here is a link)http://www.villavillavintage.com/#!__help-me-date-this-item

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
LinaSofia, I honestly don't know, either! Might be 60s? But it sure is cute and timeless looking no matter when it's from.

Miss Moonlight, I agree it's probably a 60s coat. Nice color!

villa, it's an evening dress, probably from around 1937. The fabric is moire, but from the texture you're saying it might be acetate? Not sure. Sure is neat, though!

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
^^^^^^^

Kitty that is fabulous! What a lovely big kitchen. It looks very much like my (much smaller) kitchen. Definitely post war, late 40's or early 50's. My house was built in 1949 & the cupboards & shelves are exactly the same.

crwritt

One Too Many
Hello ladies,
Today I bought a house!!! I am wondering about the date of the kitchen....I know its a bit different than dress or handbag lol but what do you guys think?
2009007243_2_FS.JPG

Oh lucky you...It looks 50's to me, with the zinc edges on the countertops. Is the sink cabinet metal? My grandparents
"modernized" their kitchen in the 50's, and the new cabinets were very similar.
I'd love to see some of the other rooms.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Hello ladies,
Today I bought a house!!! I am wondering about the date of the kitchen....I know its a bit different than dress or handbag lol but what do you guys think?
2009007243_2_FS.JPG

That's a great kitchen, Kitty! I'd guess it to be 40's, with maybe some 60's upgrades. It's likely one your county agencies (the County Assessor in most parts of California, for example) would have a history on your house. When it was built, who owned it, what additions were made.

KrystalClear

New in Town
Hats

Hi :) I'm interning at a historic clothing museum this summer. We have quite a few racks of hats that are unknown dated. I wanted to see if this could be a helpful resource for putting a decade to some of these hats so they have a comfortable home in the museum. Thank You for your help and I hope I posted this in the right place...

PIC_3293.jpg

PIC_3294.jpg

PIC_3299.jpg

PIC_3298.jpg

PIC_3313.jpg

PIC_3312.jpg

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
My guess is the first is 40s, second 30s (but the gents could probably date that for you better), third 1960s :)
What a great experience to be able to intern for a museum!

KittyAnneMalloo, congrats on the house! That kitchen is awesome!

KrystalClear

New in Town
Thank You Lauren! I found out that Macy's bought out John Taylor's Dried Goods Co. in 1947. So with this and the style of the red hat, it makes sense. Thank-You kindly for taking the time to help!

:Krystal Clear:

susan

Familiar Face
I bought a long gown/ housedress...I would say late 30s, early 40s?
It has a long talon zipper at the front, fabric is cotton...is this an house dress like those swirl dresses? Or wore women it also outside the house?

...sorry, I can´t load up the picture :-( Something changed, I can´t load it from my computer..help? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ