Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
K.McG, I think the hats are both 50s. I'm not so sure about the Schiaparelli one, though. Very cute!

Serene Irene, the coat looks 1950s to me. I love the wild lining!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I agree with Lauren the coat looks very fifties. I adore the lining too, i have a similar shaped linen coat with a two tone lining in blue and turquoise. Nowhere near as lovely as yours though it's a beauty!

Serene Irene

New in Town
Thank you both! I was actually thinking of having the lining (or rather, the orange half) repaired or replaced, but I don't know where I would acquire suitable silk material for the job... At the very least, I'll brush it up a bit and clean off the cobwebs! :)

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I just took a chance on this mixed lot on eBay. It said 40s and 50s, but I'm thinking that lilac dress may be 30s, and the green jumpsuit thing just might be a pair of 30s beach pajamas? A lot of the pieces are a little strange (in a good way-- I think!), so I'd love it if someone with a more knowledgeable eye could take a gander and tell me what you think I just bought!

LINK

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Holy smokes! Good find!
The orange thing is 20s for sure, with the bloomers. The green is definitely 30s, the earlier half. If it's beach pajamas you just scored big time! *swoon* The lavender one is probably very early 20s. Amazing find!

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Thanks for the help Lauren!!
I was hoping against hope I might have some really early gems tucked in there :D The green thing is listed as a "pantsuit", so it has two legs... 30s pajamas of some sort I'm hoping!!

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Great buy RodeoRose - i love the green pantsuit number, i bet it's divine on, it so looks like it's hiding it's lights under a bushel! The lilac dress is very cute too.

Thanks Miss Sofia! "Hiding it's light under a bushel" is such an apt description for all those crumpled, neglected vintage pieces that just need a little lovin' to look spiffy again :)

Marla

A-List Customer
D., you're going to be the cutest girl at the beach in your '30s beach pajamas this summer! I'm partial to those orange '20s ones myself--what can I say but "bloomers!"?

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
D., you're going to be the cutest girl at the beach in your '30s beach pajamas this summer! I'm partial to those orange '20s ones myself--what can I say but "bloomers!"?

Thank you Marla! I doubt other beach goers will agree, but that's OK lol.

Marla

A-List Customer
You never know, maybe this will be the summer that retro bathing suits and beach pajamas come back into fashion!:)

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Actually i did go to the shops today and there seemed to be an abundance of jumpsuit/all in one's. albeit more of a seventies style but very cute. There were also some very vintage-y swimsuits too which was reassuring.

Anyhow RodeoRose, you always look a delight whatever you wear and i'm sure you will look smashing in your beach pyjamas.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Update

I just got the package, and holy moly, looking at them up close I would guess the lavender dress and orange bloomer set are indeed 1920s; the other dresses are probably 1930s, perhaps early 1940s. And YES, I have me some 1930s beach pajamas, in the cutest little pattern ever! The best part: I really don't think these clothes have seen much wear; the orange bloomer set is definitely deadstock, and the other pieces are in such great shape.

My faith in eBay has been restored!! lol

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
I have two coats I want to sell and I'm not sure of the dates. I hope these pics are clear enough. They're both in incredible condition. My ex bought me both of these and while we were told they're 1950s... I'm just not sure.

First coat is black wool, and I wish I knew what to call it. The wool is like short fur, curly almost. I've looked up the name on the tag- Hirshmaur- to no avail. It has no buttons, a small 'collar' as you can see. ETA- Looking up Hirshmaur again I only find items from the 30s. I don't know enough of the 30s to know if this coat is from that era.

bctag.jpg

blackcoat1.jpg

The second coat, this leopard print, was sold to my ex as 'vintage' but the inside looks like a newer, home-sewn piece of outerwear. No tag either. But it gets compliments a-go-go and I'm often asked if it's real fur which is just weird because there isn't actually an animal walking the earth with these particular 'leopard' markings really. The buttons have a padded vinyl feel.

lc1.jpg

lcinside.jpg

Last edited:

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Poor me, my landlord knows of my love for Mid Century fun and gave me these as a for-no-reason gift. They are salt and pepper shakers - any idea of date? Can't find any maker's mark.

DSCN1311.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner