Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

crazydaisy

Practically Family
In terms of dating it, I have researched this a lot myself, covering and going outside the 1925-1935 interval mentioned. I have to say that what Miss Sis is saying about it being 1932ish, seems in agreement with my own findings. It's very much on the fence between the 2 decades as far as the elements in design go, but definitely not a 20's dress in my opinion. I too don't think it is meant to be unbelted, the design with the blousy top and very fitted skirt (33" total hip measurement) simply doesn't make sense without a belt, especially with the unfitted waist as well. Al the fabric around the waist looks untidy without a belt. But I did hover over this point myself. It looked much straighter in the seller's photos and also in those made by me without a body in it, but once you put it one things change. In order for it to hang straight you would have to have no hips whatsoever. In that case, the high waist seam it has wouldn't make much sense either.

villa

New in Town
Hi, I have these two awesome metal purses, but I don't know when they could be from. One is older than the other I think, but I can only guess as to dates. I have more pics, and can provide more info if it will help, just let me know if it is needed. Still can't figure out how to add pics to my posts, so you can see them on flickr here, http://www.flickr.com/photos/80737359@N00/sets/72157626137614027/Thanks!!

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
^Other people here will be able to help you date it, but I just wanted to say I'm in love with the golden shell/ clam purse! Divine!

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
Villa, I'm in no way an expert, but just wanted to say that I love the purses too. To me the shell purse looks like a 20s design, the other one I'm not sure but to me it looks later, perhaps 50s or 60s? But I can't see the label because that pic doesn't open! These are just guesses though, as I said I'm no expert at all.

Hell's Belle

New in Town
Anyone? Anyone?

This is my wedding ring. It was my great-grandmother's wedding ring (my great-grandfather replaced her original ring with this one from their antique store), then my grandmother wore it on her right hand, then it served as my mother's wedding ring and now it is mine.

ring.jpg

Sorry for the HUGE picture! Anyone know how to make pics smaller for posting here?

I wonder if anyone recognizes the style or pattern? Any idea of it's age or origin? I'm so curious about it since it has been in my family for about 70+ years. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
patterncabinet.jpg

I found this pattern cabinet today at an estate sale. It was covered in that contact paper, but we started peeling it away and here's what's underneath. we're not quite done taking off the contact paper yet. I don't know much about furniture styles... but I think they stopped printing "printing patterns" on Simplicity patterns in the mid 60s... I was hopefully wishing the underneath might be late 50s, but I'm guessing it's more likely maybe the first half of the 60s? Anyone have any guesses?

Last edited:

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
patterncabinet.jpg

I found this pattern cabinet today at an estate sale. It was covered in that contact paper, but we started peeling it away and here's what's underneath. we're not quite done taking off the contact paper yet. I don't know much about furniture styles... but I think they stopped printing "printing patterns" on Simplicity patterns in the mid 60s... I was hopefully wishing the underneath might be late 50s, but I'm guessing it's more likely maybe the first half of the 60s? Anyone have any guesses?

Wham! I just did some time travel. Boy, do I remember those cabinets. Going to the fabric store, choosing a pattern from the book and then going to the appropriate drawer and pulling a pattern. Thanks for the memories.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Sure thing :) They actually have a fabric store near me that they still have ladies behind a counter that pull them for you! It's like the fabric store that time forgot... and they still have some 70s interior fabrics in there (ick). lol

I have another question...
I found this today. Am I right that it's 50s or early 60s? These cardigans that were imported stump me! Is this Irish crochet or tatted or... and ideas?
cardigan1.jpg
cardigan2.jpg

cardigan3.jpg
cardigan4.jpg

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
^^ this is out of my era of know-how- but it looks to me to be 60’s…. ah, or could be late 50's, but I reckon more 60's.
Fantastic bit of crochet there- I think I would go mad if I had to make that!:eek:
Tups x

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Lauren,

I'll agree with Miss Tupps here, i have an identical cardi in cream, although mine is slightly shorter lengthwise than yours appears to be in the photo. Mine sits just on my natural waist. I assumed mine was late fifties, poss early sixties too. Lovely item though. I adore mine, i'm a sucker for a bit of crochet!

Porcelina

New in Town
Unusual Boots!

Good afternoon ladies and gents, I hope you're enjoying your Sundays?

My other half found an interesting pair of boots in the car boot sale this morning and we'd really appreciate some help in identifying a) what kind of boots they are and b) how old they are.

They're supersoft brown leather, with leather soles and eyelet lacing up the front. The aglets at the ends of the laces are metal. Stamped inside with 'Saxone' in gold, and some numbers. Soles are stamped with 640 N (N for narrow? They're barely 2 inches wide at the arch of the foot!) Length of the boots is 10 and a half inches approx.

My other half is convinced they're womens' because of the small width but I'm not sure at all. The other odd thing is that the soles haven't got any real wear and are dotted with holes indicating that maybe something was attached - ice skates perhaps?

I'd be interested to hear your views - pics are below to help stimulate your little grey cells!

Thanks,
Porcelina xx

SAM_0268.jpg

SAM_0270.jpg

SAM_0273.jpg

SAM_0279.jpg

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
Look like ice skates to me, especially with the holes on the soles, style of boot…- as to date not sure they really didn’t change that much- probably 30’s-50’s! Saxone's made for men and women, but the length and style would indicate a woman’s- but then again they could be a small mans or boys! Sorry for not being much help!
Tups x

Porcelina

New in Town
Look like ice skates to me, especially with the holes on the soles, style of boot…- as to date not sure they really didn’t change that much- probably 30’s-50’s! Saxone's made for men and women, but the length and style would indicate a woman’s- but then again they could be a small mans or boys! Sorry for not being much help!
Tups x

Thanks for trying, Miss Tuppence! They are indeed a tricky little mystery those boots!

Miss P xx

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
Could you ladies help me date this dress? I am guessing it's 40s, but I may be wrong. Perhaps 50s? It's a fairly thick cotton weave fabric with hand-painted details. It's got a metal zip and hand-finished edges on the inside (sorry, I am totally clueless when it comes to sewing and fabric terminology!!). I can take more photos if needed!
I'm guessing it's factory made because it has a size label inside (18), but it doesn't have a maker's name or anything else on it, just the size.

il_570xN.229549569.jpg

il_570xN.229549627.jpg

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ