Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
Thanks Miss Sis! I think you're right about 50s on second thoughts! It's not very 40s at all, I'm not sure why I thought that. Still learning I guess... :)

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
Thanks for trying, Miss Tuppence! They are indeed a tricky little mystery those boots!

Miss P xx
I had another thought (probably a bit late) as I don’t think the holes are right for skate brackets… So know I’m thinking they could be hiking or even a boot for playing a spot of golf in!? Well whatever, it’s a nice find (a rather enviable find!;)). T x

villa

New in Town
http://www.flickr.com/photos/80737359@N00/5609183870/in/set-72157626473420286/Hi ladies. I could use the benefit of your expertise again. I recently got a blue and white suit that I am in Love, LOVE, Love with! Lovely fabric and Very well made. I can just see a brassy, stylish, reporter in a wild matching hat and awesome shoes striding into the newsroom and giving orders and making snappy remarks in it. I also got this fab plaid one, which is just as great! I would guess they are both from around the forties, but I don't have enough experience to be sure and know that you guys can help me out. Here is a link to my flickr site where you can see them. I put them in a folder titled vintage suits so all the pics would be in one spot. Thank you!!! http://www.flickr.com/photos/80737359@N00/sets/72157626473420286/

Last edited:

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Gorgeous suits! I love the one with the insets. Could possible be very early 50s (like 1950) but I'd say probably mid to late 40s.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
antique jacket

Hello ladies;

I picked up this antique jacket this weekend; I can tell by the fabric and stitching that it's very old, but when it comes to pre-1920s styles I know very little about dating. Any ideas as to the period? I think it's silk; it's trimmed with lace, and the lace trim is backed with a green cotton fabric. The little string tied around my waist is stitched in at the back.

I have some more pictures in this flickr set if you'd like to take a stab at guessing its age. I'm sorry the flash made it so shiny! It's much more matte in person.

Thank you!! <3

Last edited:

Lauren

Hmm... really hard to tell from the picture, but I'd guess earlier part of the 20th century- probably pre 1912. The lace looks like it could have been a later addition possibly. Very pretty! I adore that era.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Thanks, Lauren! Yeah, it was a devil to photograph; it's pretty non-descript looking, plus shiny and black. From what little I really know about antique stuff, that sounds about right, as it has no boning and is pretty loose in shape. I'm so nerdily excited to have something so old in my closet :D!

epr25

Practically Family
I just found this dress the tag is much older then any of the Nelly Don dresses I have found before. I was thinking 30's but I wanted to get some more opinions.
IMG_7455.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_7454.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_7459.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_7458.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_7456.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_7457.jpg
[/IMG]

Lauren

I was thinking this, too, last night- because of the little details. It's probably earlier half of the 20s. I've seem illustrations that are very similar (of course can't think of where I saw them now). But it's got some details that look like carry over from late teens style, the back waistband doesn't hit super low, and it's still got the length of earlier 20s garments by the look of the photos. It's really neat.

Lauren

I need help with the origin of a few vintage items. I got them together from a lady who said it belonged to a woman who was the wife of a naval officer and followed him around the world. Any help would me much appreciated! More pics on my blog.
oriental1.jpg

K.McG

New in Town
I've recently bought some hats(more like binged) and am having a bit of a hard time placing them
firstly this navy blue velvet one
DSCN9105.jpg

DSCN9104.jpg

there are no tags other than one that says 'medium', so I am a bit lost

one of the others, well I kind of have an idea, but would like some input from someone that is more well versed

I am thinking late 40's to 50's but then again I would be wrong, this thinking is based off of what I found when trying to date it myself and what I know about Elsa Schiaparelli

DSCN9116.jpg

DSCN9115.jpg

DSCN9114.jpg

and the tag
DSCN9117.jpg

my apologies for the messy desk....

Last edited:

Serene Irene

New in Town
Hi! I'm looking for help in dating this blue velvet coat...

vBcxql.jpg

My mother bought it for me from a consignment shop in the 1990s and called it an "opera coat" and thought it was from the 1930s, but I'm not so sure. Here are a couple of pictures of me wearing it (please excuse my pajamas underneath :eek:), so you can see the size and length. I'm 5'4" and a modern size 12, for reference.

(Also, please pardon the dust on the coat! It's been hanging in my basement for years!)

Front (the sleeves are 3/4 -length, and the hem hits a couple inches below the knee):
KkQDJl.jpg

Side (I pulled it so that you can see the vents/slits up the sides -- they at mid-rib):
r4s1ml.jpg

Label and rhinestone button:
EaTE4l.jpg

Back:
eH0Rcl.jpg

Lining:
G0aZTl.jpg

The lining is silk and is made of two pieces of fabric -- one half pink, the other half reddish-orange (it's not as red as it looks in the picture).

Other side of lining, with tears:
lcBJXl.jpg

I Googled the label and found this great resource. Comparing the label on the coat to the labels on that page, I would say this dress was made in the 1950s (?).

Closeup of label (you can see it is hand-sewn in):
hpIqVl.jpg

Does the 1950s seem like the appropriate decade to you? Would anyone be able to date it to the year? That website I linked to says, "From the late 1930s and into the 1950s each BH Wragge collection was based on a theme, with the fabrics often designed by famous artists." It would be really neat if I could find images of those themes and maybe date the coat that way.

Thanks for any help you can provide! (This is my first post here, after lurking for months!)

flyfishark

Practically Family
Are these shoes vintage???

I want to list these shoes on FL, but I'm not sure if they're vintage, vintage-like, or really what they are. Can anyone advise? Thanks in advance (and if you ever need help with men's vintage, I'll be happy to return the favor.)
2lvo68k.jpg

10drvi9.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner