Can you help me date this item??

Discussion in 'The Powder Room' started by BonnieJean, Aug 5, 2006.

1. epr25

epr25 Practically Family

I found this outfit last week at an estate sale. It's older then I usually deal with so I am hoping someone can help me with the dating. There is a skirt a quite revealing top and jacket and a belt. The skirt is no obviously a bustle to me but I can't say that I have seen one before. Also I have no idea how much to even ask for something like this so if anyone has any info it would be very helpful.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Lauren

Lauren Distinguished Service Award

AAH! That's AWESOME. Wow. One of my favorite periods and looks. It's definitely Edwardian. I'd say 1905ish, maybe a little later but earlier than 1912. STUNNING!

3. hailey greenhat

hailey greenhat A-List Customer

That is seriously cool! I love the detail on it :D and i'd agree with Lauren, she knows her stuff.

4. crazydaisy

crazydaisy Practically Family

Gorgeous epr25, and my first thought was Edwardian- but what do I know?!

Speaking of which, what do you ladies think of this in terms of dating?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Lauren

Lauren Distinguished Service Award

I don't know much about purses, but it looks 30s to me. Probably celluloid or bakelite for the frame and chain. Really cool find!

6. Berlin

Berlin Practically Family

I'm with Lauren on this.
    I think 30s aswell.

Awesome find!

7. Miss sofia

Miss sofia One Too Many

I would say thirties on the purse too. I have one identical, except the frame is brown and cream checked bakelite/celluloid.

8. crazydaisy

Thank you ladies, that's what I thought too. I actually have just listed this on Etsy, and somebody contacted me to "help" with my listing, saying they have an identical one and that the frame is very old, Victorian, and made of bone.
    It is possible I think with these bags that you come across frames which are older than the body of the bag. I don't know whether it could be the case here. However undo no circumstances is this bone (possibly the clasp, but the frame and chain no way). What it is, is an old plastic, probably celluloid, that imitates the grain of ivory. It could be ivorine.
    I just wanted to check with you, as I don't want to get things badly wrong especially when selling things to others.

9. Fatal Red

Fatal Red New in Town

Thank you so much!

10. Bombshell Becca

Bombshell Becca One of the Regulars

What would you ladies date this dress as? It zips up the front under the tie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. LinaSofia

LinaSofia A-List Customer

That's a gorgeous dress Becca! I love it!! I'm in no way an expert at dating things, so take this with a pinch of salt, but to me it looks late 40s/early 50s. unusual that it zips up the front! I've never seen that before.

12. I Adore Film Noir

I Adore Film Noir A-List Customer

I agree that it's gorgeous and that it's 50's.

13. Black Dahlia

Black Dahlia Call Me a Cab

I think definitely 1950s, mid 50s. I adore it!
    X
    BD

14. crazydaisy

I am very curious about this dress. I am inclined to place it in the first half, maybe mid 30's, what do you think?
    Can anyone identify the fabric?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More details on my blog.

15. Hell's Belle

Hell's Belle New in Town

This is my wedding ring. It was my great-grandmother's wedding ring (my great-grandfather replaced her original ring with this one from their antique store), then my grandmother wore it on her right hand, then it served as my mother's wedding ring and now it is mine.

[​IMG]
    Sorry for the HUGE picture! Anyone know how to make pics smaller for posting here?

I wonder if anyone recognizes the style or pattern? Any idea of it's age or origin? I'm so curious about it since it has been in my family for about 70+ years. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

16. Miss Sis

Miss Sis One Too Many

Hi Daisy,

I would put your dress at about 1931/32 - it has some of the hangovers from the later 20s such as an unfitted waist but the detail is moving into the 30s, especially with the shape of the panel on the front of the skirt, the banding of ribbon, the shape of the sleeves.

I also think it may have been taken up later for someone shorter if the hem is thick since the sleeves are so long. My best guess is that it is made of some sort of textured rayon. You can wash it but you have to be very careful or it will likely shrink. Also the colour might bleed onto the print inset in the front.

Personally, I like it! A very slightly wider period belt would give it a great look. Could you use some of that extra hem to make a matching one? Oh, and if you like it, ignore the man. When you pop out in a few months wearing it and looking great, if he is anything like my boyfriend, he will say 'Oh, that's nice! When did you get that?'

17. I Adore Film Noir

That's adorable and I'd guess 50's. Such a pretty print and the collar :)

18. crazydaisy

Oh Miss Sis, you are so right, he does that sometimes! And I do like it, I just wasn't sure that it fitted me right/ in agreement with how it's supposed to fit. I hope the sleeves don't look too weird with being so long. But I think at least for a trial period it stays with me. It's a good idea with the matching belt, and I could use some of that fabric from the hem allowance, although I am not sure how wide really it will be. There are also a couple of holes that need patching.
    In terms of cleaning perhaps it's wiser to dry clean it, I am not very experienced with washing rayon and I don't want to risk it. there is also a fading mark I think across the high waist from storage, unless it's a streak of dirt. Not sure if anything can be done about that. Anyway a wider belt would hide better the flaw.

19. I Adore Film Noir

I love this dress, but I don't think it should be belted and I think it should be lengthened, if possible. I'd dated it 1925-1935, just to take a guess.

20. Miss Sis

Miss Sis One Too Many

I don't think it needs lengthening at all - it is already a good length on you, Daisy and right for the age of the dress. Better to use the excess hem to make a belt or to mend, but just don't belt too tightly.

Alot of the dresses of the early 30s unfortunately are not terribly flattering without a belt, one reason I tend to avoid them unless I can belt. If you have a figure it can get lost under there!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011