Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
First coat is black wool, and I wish I knew what to call it. The wool is like short fur, curly almost. I've looked up the name on the tag- Hirshmaur- to no avail. It has no buttons, a small 'collar' as you can see. ETA- Looking up Hirshmaur again I only find items from the 30s. I don't know enough of the 30s to know if this coat is from that era.

I've heard people refer to black one as a "mouton coat" (like the french word for mutton). Most mouton coats I've seen are brown, most modern ones I've seen are black. I don't know the date, but I'd just thought I'd pop in and let you know what I've heard it called. I do know they were really popular at least in the 1950s, as one of my friends has wanted one since childhood. (I actually think they were popular throughout the decades).

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Ooohh! I never really thought of it as a skin! I think I always thought it was some kind of treated wool or fake fur. What a lemon I am!

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
I've heard people refer to black one as a "mouton coat" (like the french word for mutton). Most mouton coats I've seen are brown, most modern ones I've seen are black. I don't know the date, but I'd just thought I'd pop in and let you know what I've heard it called. I do know they were really popular at least in the 1950s, as one of my friends has wanted one since childhood. (I actually think they were popular throughout the decades).

Arn't they known as Astrakhan coats? Or it that a different kind?

Thank you so much, ladies. Now I have more to go on for another search (even if it's knowing what not to look at). I appreciate the input!

ETA- The wool, whatever it is, is woven as a part of the fabric, and is rather coarse. Coarse, curly... if I can get it to a local vintage shop maybe someone can tell me exactly what to call the darn thing.

Last edited:

Sunny

One Too Many

KittyAnneMalloo

Familiar Face
I bought these shoes the other day and I'm not sure what era they are from, can anyone help me?
254924_10150318568548916_680448915_9816234_1858415_n.jpg

246817_10150318574808916_680448915_9816333_768921_n.jpg

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
I have a question that I felt would best be placed here. So much dating of items involves tags, so... when you find an item without tags, do you assume it was home made? Were there other instances in which an item would be without a tag?

Two of my coats- one the leopard I tried to have dated earlier, another a red velvet coat I'm fairly certain is 40s- don't have tags and if they were home made they're very well done.

Any tell-tale signs that one can look for to determine if something is home made?

villa

New in Town
Oops, I don't think I am allowed to post pics, or else I am not as smart as the rest of you and just can't do it. Here is a link to a page with three different items I would like some info on. Thanks guys!
http://www.villavillavintage.com/#!__help-me-date-this-item
I have more pics if that would help.
The first one if a heavy black taffeta (or something like it) dress with lots of detailing on the front, and a combination of little ties and small metal snaps to close the opening up the back.
The second is a purse that is made of a silk velvet with metal hardware. This style could be from many different times, but it looks and feels older then newer.(50's or 60's being newer) Has pretty silk tassle attached at the bottom.
Third is the pair of black shoes. 30's? I have a feeling they could be even earlier than that, but I have nothing concrete to base that on. Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Lady Day, I think you're right- both hats look 50s to me, the second could be early 60s.
Annie Pancake- that is AWESOME. Culottes were a big thing in the later 50s, so I'm guessing that's when this is from. So old movie star lounging on the patio! LOVE.
Villa, the first is probably late 30s- I was just looking through old catalogs last night from '38 and '39 and this falls well into that range. There was a resurgence of "Gibson girl" styles, and this is a great example with the fitted midriff, high neck, and puffed sleeves.
I'm not sure about the purse, but the shoes are 1930s for sure, and SO great.

villa

New in Town
Thanks Lauren! I would definatly have guessed the dress was earlier, so thanks for that info, that is really interesting. I will have a starting point now to research further. And the shoes, I know, aren't they neat?

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
First coat is black wool, and I wish I knew what to call it. The wool is like short fur, curly almost. I've looked up the name on the tag- Hirshmaur- to no avail. It has no buttons, a small 'collar' as you can see. ETA- Looking up Hirshmaur again I only find items from the 30s. I don't know enough of the 30s to know if this coat is from that era.

Quoting myself because I finally learned that the coat is synthetic curly wool. I asked a gentleman at a vintage store where I sold my beloved faux leopard coat. Need outweighed coat-love. If I see anyone wearing it I am going to cry.

Anyway, thank you to those who tried to help me figure out what it was.

rotebander

New in Town
I found this hat about a month ago in an antique shop, and I have no clue how old it is. The tag is long-gone, so I can't go off of that, and you ladies are far more knowledgeable than I am when it comes to dating clothing!:D
The Front...
DSC00091.jpg

The Back...
DSC00092.jpg

...and the detail!
DSC00093.jpg

Sorry for the enormous pictures :eek:

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
Rotebander, the hat looks 60s to me, possibly late 50s, but I would guess early-mid sixties... but I am in no way an expert on these things, that's just my guess :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner