Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this item??

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ShrinkingViolet said:
I got this beautiful dress a while ago, but never got around to posting it in this thread. It was sold to me as 1940s, but it looks earlier to me, especially because of the sculptural raglan sleeves. The fabric is silk and the colours are navy, chartreuse green, coral, cherry red and mint green. The skirt is fairly narrow around the hips and cut straight. What do you think?

3263370712_78a4fbf22f.jpg
3263370856_9b7bcb611e.jpg
3263370960_4f312d6dda.jpg

I *love* this dress. If you ever sell it.....;)

Sunny

One Too Many
Miss Sis said:
Shrinking Violet, the pouffy sleeves of 36-37 are larger than 38-39. They tended to stick out more and come further down the arm towards the elbow.
And the "pouf" part itself is lower, too; shoulders are still sloping or de-emphasized. Some sleeves have shirring right down the middle, although that may be more like 1935.

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
Ok, I am not going to buy this but I am slightly irked.. and maybe I am wrong, so I will ask you.

I looked at a "deco 30s dress vintage" on ebay..
and this is one of the pictures that comes with it
crepe-burg-bow-dress-06.jpg

NOTTTTTTT from the 30s right?

So I send her a really friendly email, letting her know that I did not believe based on the tag and the dress that it was from the 30s at all.
and she emailed me back that I was
"terribly mistaken she is a vintage curator and that it is for sure from the 30s"

I dont believe it? am I wrong, or am I right to be irked that this woman is a liar.

Miss_Bella_Hell

exquisitebones said:
Ok, I am not going to buy this but I am slightly irked.. and maybe I am wrong, so I will ask you.

I looked at a "deco 30s dress vintage" on ebay..
and this is one of the pictures that comes with it
crepe-burg-bow-dress-06.jpg

NOTTTTTTT from the 30s right?

So I send her a really friendly email, letting her know that I did not believe based on the tag and the dress that it was from the 30s at all.
and she emailed me back that I was
"terribly mistaken she is a vintage curator and that it is for sure from the 30s"

I dont believe it? am I wrong, or am I right to be irked that this woman is a liar.

If it's tagged a 4 and fits a modern 4, it ain't vintage.

Vintage Betty

exquisitebones said:
Thats what I said!!!!
this lady basically called me an idiot :rage:

You are 100% correct. And that, my dear, is the number one reason I no longer send emails to sellers on ebay giving them information on their items. 90% of the time, they are rude, defensive and haughty. I'm sorry this happened to you when you were trying to be nice. :(

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Size 4 didn't exist in the thirties, except on garments intended for four-year-olds. The smallest labeled sizes you'll find on a grownup dress before the fifties are 9 (for Juniors) and 10 (for misses), and those are mostly postwar. Prewar you'd be hard-pressed to find any readymade with a labeled size smaller than 12.

texasgirl

One Too Many
I saw that one too. I showed it to my husband and we were laughing. If you look closely you can even see the modern plastic tag thing going through it. I'll email her and see what she says- :p

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I Sent an email to a seller of some patterns that were CLEARLY post '48. She listed them as 30-31, and that 'her grandmother made them when she was a girl'. Sure, if she was a girl in '48. So I emailed her, linking her to our favorite pattern dating site, telling her that she should change the info, so as not to get tangled up in a misrepresentation suit.

She was grateful, and I guess changed them, I dont know, I thought the patterns were ugly anyway :)

LD

sixsexsix

Practically Family
I bought this beautiful box today for a fair chunk of change. The seller told me a decade but I'm not sure if it's correct, any of you ladies warrant a guess? I would hate to think I spent so much money on something that isn't from when I was told...

Outside (hand painted):
IMG_3419.jpg

Close-up of lock:
IMG_3421.jpg

Back of lock:
IMG_3424.jpg

Inside of box:
IMG_3422.jpg

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Sunny said:
And the "pouf" part itself is lower, too; shoulders are still sloping or de-emphasized. Some sleeves have shirring right down the middle, although that may be more like 1935.

Thanks for the useful information. Yay for sleeve geekiness! And my dress thanks you too for all the fan mail. :p

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
ShrinkingViolet said:
I got this beautiful dress a while ago, but never got around to posting it in this thread. It was sold to me as 1940s, but it looks earlier to me, especially because of the sculptural raglan sleeves. The fabric is silk and the colours are navy, chartreuse green, coral, cherry red and mint green. The skirt is fairly narrow around the hips and cut straight. What do you think?

3263370712_78a4fbf22f.jpg
Totally 1936. Checkout images of Wallis Simpson from this period. I think the little bow at the neck is a tip off as well.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
sixsexsix said:
I bought this beautiful box today for a fair chunk of change. The seller told me a decade but I'm not sure if it's correct, any of you ladies warrant a guess? I would hate to think I spent so much money on something that isn't from when I was told...
Outside (hand painted):
IMG_3419.jpg
If you don't mind an opinion from a gentleman, it looks VERY 60's to me. Maybe 67 to 71. Very Peter Maxx.

Howard Hughes

One of the Regulars
CHAP'S OPINION

Whatto Ladies and Gentleman,

This, in my humble opinion, is what we British would call BIBA style, dating from C1970.

Sorry if this is bad news, but if you only just bought it and have been mis-lead on it's provenance, can't you return it?

Have a loveley weekend all.

Toodleoo
HH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo