Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me date this old wool jacket?

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
I found this jacket at a Salvation Army a few years ago and, although I'm pretty good at dating things, I never really came to a conclusion as to how old this is. It is very heavy, thick wool and is extremely warm. It had an old tag labeled "Bradford Clothes" but it deteriorated and fell apart soon after the purchase. I have always guessed late 1920's or early 30's. What do you think? Am I close? Your help would be greatly appreciated!!!

lounge003.jpg

lounge005.jpg

lounge006.jpg

lounge007.jpg

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Enigma

That's the coolest find I've seen in a long time. The colar and front look 30's to me... What's the back look like? It looks slimmer fitting, so I suppose that might be an indication that it's from the 30's (rather than a 50's "drape"). Also, check the lining. I BELIEVE that nylon quilted linings were more popular after the war (with the development of polyster and rayon? Am I right?), whereas the 30's and 40's had more wool or cloth linings. Again, just my observation.

Looks 30's or 40's to me, but I'm certainly no expert. You'd think it would be more worn...

Enjoy!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Don't know how old...

But it's a fine looking jacket. Some rather interesting pieces in the background as well.

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
Back and Lining

RP McMurphy said:
Enigma

What's the back look like? It looks slimmer fitting, so I suppose that might be an indication that it's from the 30's (rather than a 50's "drape"). Also, check the lining. I BELIEVE that nylon quilted linings were more popular after the war (with the development of polyster and rayon? Am I right?), whereas the 30's and 40's had more wool or cloth linings. Again, just my observation.

Looks 30's or 40's to me, but I'm certainly no expert. You'd think it would be more worn...

Enjoy!

The back is not slim fitting but does have a drape to it. Also, no lining at all on this one! Pure wool. I'll admit, it does get kinda itchy if I don't wear a long sleeve shirt under it.

lounge004.jpg

Inside Front
lounge008.jpg

Inside shoulder
lounge009.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Is there any label on the inside of the neck? That would give the best tip off as to the date. I think it's just as possible thet this garment is from the 60's or later.

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
I'll look for the label

dhermann1 said:
Is there any label on the inside of the neck? That would give the best tip off as to the date. I think it's just as possible thet this garment is from the 60's or later.

The label was deteriorating when I found the jacket and fell off. I have it in a box somewhere. I'll look for it soon and get back to you with a pic!

mattfink

Practically Family
That looks kind of hard to date especially because of the seams and the buttons. A lot of jackets had buttons with two holes in the 1930's. Could this be from Europe or England? Do you remember if the tag said where it was made?

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Here's a thought...

Could it be possible that this is a wartime garment? The reason this comes to mind is that the government took control of nearly all wartime industries, and forced companies to switch to manufacturing for the war effort. The garment industry was no exception. Many civilian garments at the time had to have features removed in order to save thread, cloth, and metal. I've heard that the Levis 501 lost the stitched arcuate on the back pockets, as well as a few rivets.

What I'm getting at here is that there's a chance that this coat may never have had a lining due to war rationing. That would also explain the 30's collarand possibly the "drape" cut (more typical of the 40's and later periods?).

Could also be a cheaper (priced) work garment from the depression era?

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
New York, if I remember correctly.

mattfink said:
That looks kind of hard to date especially because of the seams and the buttons. A lot of jackets had buttons with two holes in the 1930's. Could this be from Europe or England? Do you remember if the tag said where it was made?

Actually, I have several overcoats from the 1930's that have four-hole buttons. The buttons on this jacket are the same size as those. I think buttons of this size have always had four holes, whether they be 30's, 40's or whatever. The jacket is definitely American. I haven't found the label yet, but If I remember correctly, it said "Bradford Clothes, NEW YORK". The tag was extremely simple in design and made out of the same material that the old union labels were made out of. I'm still trying to remember were I put the bleeping thing!

YETI

A-List Customer
A certain auction site(to remain nameless) has an exact match to this one currently up for bid. And it has the original label intact.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
My dad got a black version of that jacket in 1968. He says it's a variation of an Australian bluey - known in the US as a chore jacket. While it has certain classical design features - it certainly looks 1960's as much as it looks 1930's to me.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
YETI said:
A certain auction site (to remain nameless) has an exact match to this one currently up for bid. And it has the original label intact.

Not quite an exact match -- and that's what's interesting. The jacket being auctioned has only 5 buttons up the front, not 6. My hunch is that Enigma1947's 6-button version is the older one.

YETI

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
Not quite an exact match -- and that's what's interesting. The jacket being auctioned has only 5 buttons up the front, not 6. My hunch is that Enigma1947's 6-button version is the older one.

Damn, you're good! :eusa_clap

himelator

Vendor
your coat

Dealing in Vintage clothing most of my life...looks like a small production 30s jacket. Simple collar shape is typical of many shawl collars of 1930s leather jackets..that shape disappeared in the 1940s. Also the chinstrap is a dead giveaway...the chinstrap is vaguely reminiscent of a slight European influence. That is typical of the Jewish tailors arriving and opening jacket production in the period. The stitching is all single stitch and looking very "homemade" obviously a small shop not large scale producer of jackets. They had a button hole machine...but the internal design also typical of the 1930s. All hand cut...with no bi swing back..no pleats also typical of pre 1940s jackets...just my opinion

Himel

http://vintageleatherjackets.blogspot.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael