Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you please recommend a jacket for me?

Edward

Bartender
I still like the Aero bootlegger style

Very sharp design - I really like my own. The Bootlegger is a 50s HB with a different front. Bit different than most halfbelt jackets you see out there, bit more subtle than a Perfecto type... Very flexible.

The Premier cut looks awesome, but does the front measure longer than the back? That bugs me.

Depends on your shape.... most folks aren't as 'flat' down the front as the back; the tiny bit of extra length at the front of the jacket means it sits at the same level all round once on and closed. Hard to articulate, but you'll see what I mean if you see one on.

You can remove the storm cuffs in about 10 minutes or order one without them.

Yes, it's not a major operation to have them removed, so shouldn't be a deal breaker on a good used jacket, while it's very easy to order new without. That said, I still get the impression the HWM fit is not for the OP.

But in answer to the original question; you can get almost any jacket you desire from Johnson Leathers for about $700.

I've only encountered one johnson - my own D pocket. Very nice jacket, though. I'd like to seem ore of their stuff (pity their website isn't up to much...).

Okay pulled trigger on Sheene! Thanks for everyone's feedback again. This community is awesome!

Look forward to seeing it...

DirtyHarry

Familiar Face
Avoid highwayman like the plague, fits like a box. Alexander leathers cafe racer with the highwayman collar instead, I have two if you want pics. Fits slim yet with the bi swing back/shoulders, you have great range of movement.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Avoid highwayman like the plague, fits like a box. Alexander leathers cafe racer with the highwayman collar instead, I have two if you want pics. Fits slim yet with the bi swing back/shoulders, you have great range of movement.

The one I sold you? Thing looked dynamite.

DirtyHarry

Familiar Face
The one I sold you? Thing looked dynamite.

Looked great, but the problem is that a Highwayman didnt look good on me until I went to a 38 long like yours. & then I could hardly move my arms. I am a 42-44, will post up some pics of my two Alexanders I really like. I think cafe racer fitting jackets with a regular collar are the way to go, at least for us slim guys.

DirtyHarry

Familiar Face
It's true. I have one and I love it to death, it simply isn't a slim fitting jacket.

True, they are beautiful jackets...but they are a let down after the cost and baggy arms etc. when they arrive. Wish they would make a slim fit because the belt at bottom looks great and on paper it seems like a great jacket.

Edward

Bartender
Yeah, the Sheene is your birdy if you want a slimfit "Highwayman". As for the Highwayman itself... it's a boxy jacket, per many originals of the period. Try to make it something it's not won't work.

LaymanX

One of the Regulars
Just wanted to give an update! My new Aero Sheene courtesy of Carrie and Wade @ Thurston Bros. Awesome customer service, and I would definitely purchase another jacket from them in the future.

JSrIVW8.jpg

Attachments

• JSrIVW8l.jpg
    JSrIVW8l.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 267

pawineguy

One Too Many
One of the best Sheenes I've ever seen, love that you moved the zips around to the front of the sleeves. You and Thurston nailed the fit, so glad it worked out for you. The brass really pops off the brown leather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran