Canada - 150 Years of Confederation

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by MisterCairo, Jul 1, 2017.

1. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Happy Birthday Canada!

Newly installed chez Cairo:

[​IMG]

2. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Best regards to Halifax N. S. -- my proud ancestral sod.

MisterCairo likes this.
  3. robrinay

robrinay One Too Many

Happy Birthday Canada - I've got family there.

MisterCairo likes this.
  4. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

For those unfamiliar with Canadian history:

The year 2017 marks 150 years since Confederation. Or rather, what's become known as Confederation.
    Canada is actually a federation, but the term Confederation caught on in the in the 19th century and it stuck, squares and bridges are named after it, there's reference to the "Fathers of Confederation" (and the Mothers too!), and the word has come to represent the country and the events that created it.

"It" being "one Dominion under the crown," a.k.a. the Dominion of Canada, as per the British North America Act of 1867 that unified the colonies (Province of Canada, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick).

Leaders gathered in Quebec City 150 years ago to create the British North America Act.
    Union wasn't a new concept — the idea was first presented in early 1800s, and the Act of Union in 1840 saw Upper and Lower Canada (English- and French-speaking Canada respectively, more or less) tie the knot to form the Province of Canada.

On July 1, 1867, it was just four provinces (Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick) that composed the new Dominion of Canada. The rest of the provinces and territories joined and were formed over time, Nunavut being the most recent, which officially separated from Northwest Territories in 1999.

I think that The Americans got it right on July 4th 1776.

5. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

You had a nice post until this unnecessary political finale. Stay out of our party thank you.

6. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

You are right, I should have kept my opinions to myself.

7. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

Maple leaf up!

MisterCairo likes this.