Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canadian Mail Order Catalogues

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I stumbled across a rather interesting resource for Canadian fashion. The website is Before E-Commerce, A History of Canadian Mail Order Catalogues, part of the Virtual Museum of Canada. You can download PDFs from the site. It doesn't cover all years but has a good selection in the various decades.

The following pages are taken from the Eatons Catalogue for Fall and Winter 1934-1935:

youthssuits4_zps0d7112c6.jpg

youthssuits3_zpsc6fca755.jpg

youthssuits2_zps63e1d871.jpg

youthssuits1_zps506d246a.jpg

youthsmixedclothing_zps8499a902.jpg

youths_zps8c6b2119.jpg

youthstrousers_zps56246b1e.jpg

winterjacketsamptrousers2_zps07105a94.jpg

winterjacketsamptrousers1_zps57dd3775.jpg

trousers4_zps74a0cca6.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I can download only the single pages as viewed on the site, not one catalogue as a whole. Just browsing through the pages is not very efficient since I can go from one page to the next only.
Did you find another way to get the catalogues?

I'm afraid the only way to do it appears to be to download single pages. So it was a long slow operation. I've now started work on summer 1936!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Well, as much as I would like to contribute to this download marathon (by providing merged PDFs, I mean), I give up. It takes 15 sec to load one PDF page on this website with my connection.
To select topics of interest doesn't help either since all pages have to be flipped through starting from either end of the catalogue...
Too bad, I'd have loved to see the overcoat sections throughout the catalogues.

I could browse this stuff all day Two Types. I appreciate your efforts. Thanks.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Metatron

One Too Many
It takes 15 sec to load one PDF page on this website with my connection.
It is a bit of a chore, but to partly remedy this, you can go to the end of each catalog and check the index for items that interest you, and then jump directly to the desired page by changing the number in the web address.

I have also uploaded some pics from these catalogues in this thread:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?72612-Military-Surplus-fashion-in-the-1940s-and-1950s

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Good advice, thanks Metatron!
I've seen the index but failed to realize the other bit - simply to change the number.
That does make it a bit easier.

Thanks for sharing these Two Types.
Those mackinaw coats are cranking my engine.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace