Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canned Ham (of the camper variety)

BoPeep

Practically Family
Couldn't find a thread of only vintage campers. Bartenders, merge if need be, but I thought this was a bit more than "Vintage Gear."

Purchased two years ago, my husband and I have finally redone our 1968 Serro Scotty Sportsman. At at mere 10feet long, it tracks beautifully behind the '50 Chevy and should meet our needs for the next few years (before the kids get too big). It still needs a coat of paint on the outside and a bit of decorating/finishing work on the inside. But the windows are sealed, the cracks patched, the walls and cupboards painted, the cushions upholstered, and the curtains hung. We really have a great time with it. Perfect for taking the vintage lifestyle on the road!

Any one else have a vintage Canned Ham in the driveway?

Scotty.jpg

awning.jpg

interior1.jpg

interior2.jpg

interior3.jpg

interior4.jpg

interior5.jpg

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Not a Canned Ham But.....

You did a great job on your restoration! We have a 1969 Silver Streak in our back 40 just waiting for me to have time and money to get it going. Not a canned ham but still pretty cool vintage. I also think i have that same barkcloth to make my curtains that you used on your couch. Bopeep or anyone else have you ever gone to any of the vintage trailer rallies?

silverstreakclassicphoto.jpg

BoPeep

Practically Family
Land-O-LakesGal, you must try to get to your Silver Streak project! Originally we were looking for an AirStream, but availability and affordability kept them at a distance. Our little Can-O-Ham seemed to fit the bill! It's been a lot of work, and it's not done yet, but sooo much fun to take out. While we haven't camped at any vintage trailer shows, we've camped on the grounds at car shows amongst a few others of the era. I know of groups dedicated solely to Serro Scotty trailers. You may be able to find a local(-ish) group to camp with.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Leaks

Last year we used it at my In- Laws Cabin because they were gutting it. It was nice to have it there and have a fridge but we need to redo the plumbing and seal up so holes. Last year in the fall when we brought it home from the cabin we found we had hitch hikers. Mice.... We trapped them and it seemed mouse free now but as we kept checking it over the winter it was leaking. I feel like the leaking needs to be taken care of before we do much else. That and getting her some new wheels, then redo the plumbing. Its hard to make the inside look cute when your worried about leaks and mice damage. Like I said I have all this great Bark cloth I ordered for the curtains last summer as well as some vintage looking tile for the back bedroom area and bath (right now its just plywood). But I hate to put up curtains for Mice to check on or get moldy or have to redo the tiles after they get leaked on.

Foofoogal

Banned
Scream... What a fab job you have done so far. I loved camping with the kids when they were small.

Didn't have as old one as you but had an orange 1972 Apache. The kind with chains you would roll up. Like a popup camper. One time we went real far and only one side would come up. Had to come home. lol

I may have to send you something Aqua to go in your camper. Or something travel related. lol

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Friends and I rented one of those in college (Chicago late 70's) to go play on the Wolf River in Wisconsin. Lottsa fun! Though I must admit that on our subsequent trips up there we rented a decked out Winnebago (with a shower). :)

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
heres some Pictures of our SS

002.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

We did hear of a guy who can do work on these that also works on airplane bodies but we haven't been inquiry as it has been a lean year for us financially.

BoPeep

Practically Family
Talk about luxury, Land-O-LakesGal!! You could bake apple pies while your hubby cleans the fish for dinner. Previously a tent camper, I'm just excited about having a sink! Makes sense about the leaks though. That needs attention first; cute decorating can wait (although that's the part I like best).

Tomasso - latest trip took us to the Symco Shakedown Car Show on the Little Wolf River (just outside of Manawa). The river's been way over its banks this summer. Luckily the campsites dried out the week before the show, but most folks stuck to the high ground.

Foofoogal - Looking at my photos, I may need to hold off on the aqua decor a bit! lol Although it's been my favorite color this summer. On our subsequent travels we plan to collect postcards, the really touristy, cheesy ones, to tack on the wall. Too much white space in the camper right now. I feel a need to fill it up, but the husband says it has to grow into its own.

Edward

Bartender
I grew up on family caravan trips; if you're comfortable towing one, they certainly are more convenient than tents. Also when you stop somewhere for a few days, it's nice to be able to not have to pack everything away to drive into town...

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I am more of a tent camper, though I love old-school campers like yours. I once read an article about people who collect canned ham trailers, for these folks owning 30-50 campers was no big deal. Nice job on the restoration.

shortbow

Practically Family
Always wanted one of those small vintage-type teardrop trailers, they would be perfect for one guy or a couple to get off up into the woods for the weekend hunting or fishing, and I think they look just fantastic, as well as being small, light and aero-dynamic. I finally turned up a company that makes them in a very small size that would work great behind my Cherokee, but they want 7K for one in it's most basic livery. Isn't that a bit nuts for a price? What justifies that kind of money? Is there something about their construction that I'm not getting?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
shortbow said:
What justifies that kind of money? Is there something about their construction that I'm not getting?
Men and women put their time into making them and they must be remunerated. [huh]

Foofoogal

Banned
Actually if you are talking vintage I think that is a very low price.

Supply and demand is the reason I am sure and condition as with most vintage.

The more I look at this thread it is about killing me. I so long for those days (as an empty nester) when our children were small and we went camping.
Every family should make it mandatory to go camping, fishing etc.
Where did time go? I enjoy this period of my life but still miss it.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
How about restoration?

I think their are some web sites devoted to making your own tear drop that might be more economical. Otherwise look for a vintage one it might be cheaper to restore than buy new. I know my inlaw were looking at getting a shasta canned ham style trailer while they were redoing their lake cabin. The shasta looked like they had back in the sixites very cute. I think the could have gotten a used one from the time period for half the price they would have paid for the new one. They finally opted out and used a small bunk house on their property to sleep in and we brought up our Silver Streak so we had a fridge and microwave etc....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner