Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can't Summarize in a Title

Haversack

One Too Many
Viola wrote:
" As far as her takes on those styles... well, they'll never tear her away from Gothic Revival or Queen Anne, that's for sure. Spanish Revival would likely come closest."

That is not surprising. Spanish Colonial furniture, (not Revival), is a direct descendant of Late Gothic furniture. (also not Revival). The Hidalgos who came out to New Spain in the early 16th C. brought their families' old furniture with them. The design of these pieces were then reproduced by generations of native carpenters down to the 19th C. still maintaining their basic 'Gothicness'. Pugin & Co. reached back to their own country's Gothic period for design inspiration and produced Gothic revival. (Sorry if I am teaching a swan how to swim.)

Haversack.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One of the on-air hosts at our little dog 'n pony show was born in 1980, and she mentioned "I haven't seen any of the classic movies like Star Wars..."

I think I had been watching "Gold Diggers of 1933" the previous evening. lol

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Rosie said:
There is a new thrift/vintage store in my neighborhood also so I go every few days to see their offerings, the other day, the owner, who is an older lady tells me, "so this is no accident?" kind of gesturing up and down at me. She says when she first saw me, she thought I was just kind of dressed "like this" for the day, like as a fluke or something. She just realized that "this" was my thing.
We really need some bette stores around here. What most vintage clothing stores deem as 'vintage' is 70's attire, which I've always thought looked horrid.
What an awful thing for her to say! looking at you're avatar, you look wonderful!

Haversack

One Too Many
Perceptions of "oldness" do vary but I have found that personal stories have made the past a much more familiar place. Growing up with family stories such as how one Danish great-grandfather dodged the Prussian Army draft, or my Scots grandmother talking about how she heard about the Titanic sinking, or hunting for buttons and musketballs in the draw across from the family ranch where a running battle between Kearny's Dragoons and some Californio Lancers took place in the 1840s have all firmly laced me into a sense of who and where I am. None of this history for me is that long ago because it is still in living memory of either myself or someone whom I have met and talked to. Also, reading the same childrens' books which my parents and grandparents read makes their childhoods more immediate to me and much less remote. This has meant that I probably have a rather dilated sense of time and the past.

On one hand, it does make it easier to enjoy the clothes, movies, and other bits of the popular culture of the past.

On the other hand, it has had its cost. I have always been out of step with my contemporaries as far as music goes. Pretty much everything descended from 1950s rock and roll is lost on me.

On the gripping hand, I was once seriously asked in the late 1970s, "Did you know that Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?"

Haversack.
Modern History begins in 1648

Rosie

One Too Many
mysterygal said:
We really need some bette stores around here. What most vintage clothing stores deem as 'vintage' is 70's attire, which I've always thought looked horrid.
What an awful thing for her to say! looking at you're avatar, you look wonderful!

Thank you but, she wasn't being insulting. lol She thought I was dressed in '40s style by accident like I just wore that for the day. Now that she sees me more and more, she realized that it just wasn't that outfit for that day but this is my style of dressing.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
it's probably drugs and alcohol that contribute a lot to that. Most of the time, Men who have that 'baby' face tend to age very well, they can pass for a much younger age.

Haversack

One Too Many
Mysterygal Wrote:
"Men who have that 'baby' face tend to age very well, they can pass for a much younger age."

My wife's uncle is that way. He is in his 80s and can easily pass for 50. Pictures of him when he was 50 could pass for under 30. Plus he can still swing dance and downhill ski. He doesn't have an attic so there is no checking for a very ugly painting.

Haversack.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Way :eek:fftopic::

Why is it that men who, when young, have "pretty boy" faces -- men like Paul McCartney and Tony Curtis -- end up looking like grannies when they're old?

I think its because they often have very delicate features, whereas what looks good on older men is rugged features.

Of course, Paul Newman throws your entire argument into disarray.
cat.jpg

Please no one say "the secret's in the sauce!" :eek: :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick