Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CAPTAIN CUTHBERT H. SLOCOMB OF THE WASHINGTON ARTILLERY slouch hat.

Tim Allen

New in Town
Hello, I am a new member. I have been making Civil War "slouch hats" for over 30 years. I have made them for hundreds of reenactors and several major motion pictures. I had an ancestor in the 5th Co. Wash. Artillery and was very interested in the Slocomb grouping of uniforms and hats. Below is my reproduction of the makers label from the original hat. I have spoke to the owner about this hat and saw the way the liner and stamp looked. Unfortunately, the liner has become compromised since. However, this is way it originally looked. The last pic is an early block attempt, trying to get the height and shape. Hope you all enjoy! Tim Allen

Attachments

• 20200926_095005.jpg
    20200926_095005.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 445
  • 20200224_151719.jpg
    20200224_151719.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 448
  • blkslouch.jpg
    blkslouch.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 462
Hello, I am a new member. I have been making Civil War "slouch hats" for over 30 years. I have made them for hundreds of reenactors and several major motion pictures. I had an ancestor in the 5th Co. Wash. Artillery and was very interested in the Slocomb grouping of uniforms and hats. Below is my reproduction of the makers label from the original hat. I have spoke to the owner about this hat and saw the way the liner and stamp looked. Unfortunately, the liner has become compromised since. However, this is way it originally looked. The last pic is an early block attempt, trying to get the height and shape. Hope you all enjoy! Tim Allen

Do you have a website or ???
If someone wanted to learn more about the hats you make and sell what do you recommend?

Thank you, and welcome to The Lounge.

Tim Allen

New in Town
Thank you. I do not have a website any longer. I have a day job and this is just a hobby. I make hats from collections and museums so I am a real stickler for authenticity. However, there is a book series called "Echoes of Glory" from Time/Life that has separate Federal and Confederate equipment/uniforms which has excellent chapters on slouch hats. Beautiful photos and descriptions. I make many hats from those pictures as well as my data base of museum and collection pieces. Not trying to brag but its easier to just tell anyone that is interested in what I've done. I made Lee's, Grant's and Robert Lincoln's hats in the Spielberg movie "Lincoln". I also did several hats in Nicole Kidman's movie "Cold Mountain" and several more movies. It's been nice to see that Hollywood is using authentic makers of uniforms, clothing and headgear during the past 10 years or so. For us authentic guys and historians, we see the difference and it helps. I can find some more photos of my work if anyone is interested.

I made Lee's, Grant's and Robert Lincoln's hats in the Spielberg movie "Lincoln". I also did several hats in Nicole Kidman's movie "Cold Mountain" and several more movies. It's been nice to see that Hollywood is using authentic makers of uniforms, clothing and headgear during the past 10 years or so. For us authentic guys and historians, we see the difference and it helps. I can find some more photos of my work if anyone is interested.
Hey Tim, welcome to the forum. I would be interested in seeing more of your work. Where do you live? A local here is often hired as a consultant on uniforms & civilian dress of the Civil War & Victorian period. His last name is Higginbotham. He was a consultant on either Lincoln or Robert Redford's The Conspirator, or perhaps both. He has also been consultant of several others such as Ride With the Devil.

We have a movie hats thread which you might enjoy looking thru. Several of us would enjoy your comments.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/movie-hats.36280/page-99#post-2720202

PS: @Moviehats is also a member here on FL & he makes westerns hats for movies & for sale. You might enjoy his posts.

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Tim

I've seen you mentioned on reenactor forums as a good hat guy. On a funnier note, I met a 20-25 year old kid named Christain Slater. This one's a realtor. I also work with James Taylor, he always calls ahead for reservations in California by name. Gets good service until they see him. Every tried that one?
Later

Tim Allen

New in Town
Hey Tim, welcome to the forum. I would be interested in seeing more of your work. Where do you live? A local here is often hired as a consultant on uniforms & civilian dress of the Civil War & Victorian period. His last name is Higginbotham. He was a consultant on either Lincoln or Robert Redford's The Conspirator, or perhaps both. He has also been consultant of several others such as Ride With the Devil.

We have a movie hats thread which you might enjoy looking thru. Several of us would enjoy your comments.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/movie-hats.36280/page-99#post-2720202

PS: @Moviehats is also a member here on FL & he makes westerns hats for movies & for sale. You might enjoy his posts.
Thanks for the info!

Tim Allen

New in Town
Hi Tim

I've seen you mentioned on reenactor forums as a good hat guy. On a funnier note, I met a 20-25 year old kid named Christain Slater. This one's a realtor. I also work with James Taylor, he always calls ahead for reservations in California by name. Gets good service until they see him. Every tried that one?
Later

Tim Allen

New in Town
I get looks and then laughs all the time.....I prefer to think I was making hats before he was a TV star....

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HI

The captain's hat looks a LOT like an Indian War Andrews hat. Did it appear that it had been folder flat? Andrews hats were hated, but I think because they fell apart when they got wet. Somehow I doubt that folding even a bunny fur hat is a good idea.

The James Taylor I know is pretty much physically opposite of the singer. 6'3" about 300 pounds, large gray beard and long gray hair.

At least you don't have the TV Star Tim Allen's ummm problem. His real name is Tim Allen Dick. Table of 5 for the Dick Family. No kidding, his book said that's why he's a comedian!!!
Later

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy