Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Care for your A-2?

JRaptor

Familiar Face
What do you folks use to clean and condition your repro A-2's? I have 5 ELC's and have never cleaned or conditioned them.... any advice would be greatly appreciated.

kojax

Practically Family
i use wilson leather condioner works very well non greasy..i have alot of western boots i use tony lama condiioner to...today i did my a2 horsehide jacket looks nice....

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Concur with Scotrace. Pecards works wonders. But on new or fairly new repros you should not need it for quite a while. I have used it on my original A2s with great result.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
JRaptor said:
They have many, which do you use?

Speaking for myself, I use the regular leather care stuff in a plastic tub.
99_1_b.JPG

Greyhound? For vintage leathers?

NextStepGuy

Familiar Face
Wait a minute...

That pecard stuff is really heavy and I had a hard time removing the excess after applying to my new Aero FQHH. I applied generously with my bare hands (if it's good for the horsehide, it's good for my skin ;-) Then I left it a couple of days sweating in the closet on a hanger. I finally wanted to wipe the excess. The weather being cold, I realized that it was not very easy to remove the extra and after much elbow grease trying to remove it, there are still some spots with a white hallow. The other thing is that the brown leather has significantly darken with that stuff. Not sure if I'll ever recover my beautiful jacket the way I got it after this treatment... My intuition tells me probably not.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
NextStepGuy said:
That pecard stuff is really heavy and I had a hard time removing the excess after applying to my new Aero FQHH. I applied generously with my bare hands (if it's good for the horsehide, it's good for my skin ;-) Then I left it a couple of days sweating in the closet on a hanger. I finally wanted to wipe the excess. The weather being cold, I realized that it was not very easy to remove the extra and after much elbow grease trying to remove it, there are still some spots with a white hallow. The other thing is that the brown leather has significantly darken with that stuff. Not sure if I'll ever recover my beautiful jacket the way I got it after this treatment... My intuition tells me probably not.

:( Awful! Simply heinous outcome. You have my deepest sympathy. This is precisely why it is never a good idea to apply any so-called water repellent/conditioner goop to a jacket that just doesn't need it. :eek:
Any good leather, if worn under average conditions, will not need such superfluous treatments for at least 20 years or so.
The straight dope is that greasy kid stuff "conditioners" just clog up the pores of the leather and attract dirt and grime. The manufacturers of such products should show some responsibility for the actual effects of the products they sell. They should only be used when absolutely necessary.

I'm with MajDanger on this one! I've used Pecards on my originals to help bring back the old HH to much better condition....and a touch around the collar on my 5-6 yr old HighWayMan where the leather became somewhat dry. But...VERY SPARINGLY. I can't emphasize that enough! A small amount,rubbed in is all it takes!
A year or so ago,Aero was selling a new/but ab used HH jacket on their Sales Page,at deep discount,that had been globbed with the stuff. To the extent that even the pros at Aero couldn't get the grease off.
I probably own 12-15 Aero HH jackets...and have never put conditioner..or waterproofing on any of them..unless they start looking somewhat dry after 4 or 5 years. It's tempting to think that such a nice HH jacket should need some weatherproofing. Actually,it's doing more harm than good,IMHO. Save the extra "proofing' for Lambskin.
Also...I would never use saddle soap or mink oil on a quality leather jacket. Maybe on old workboots..or a saddle..but not a nice jacket.
As for cleaning them...I'd contact the company that made it. Same with getting too much conditioner off. They should be the experts.
HD

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Agree with you all. A little of this stuff goes a long way. I did use a really heavy amount on an original that was really dry and needed it. It bought the jacket back to life. Even required two coats. I would not use it on new jackets they don't need it. It is true it can darken the leather but that is most of the time temporary. The white haze can occur when you don't get all of the product off the jacket. It is good stuff for those jackets that need it but use it sparingly.

falcodriver

New in Town
Pecard's will NOT damage your jacket!.........BUT, there is no need to apply it to a new jacket, none.......in any event, it will come off with some elbow grease. Don't mistake the treatments that are needed on older vintage jackets as being neceassary for newer repro's...apparently a common problem.

Hacker

kojax

Practically Family
pecard cond.

i just got some pecard leather cond. i used it on my leather horsehide and goatskin jacket. real nice stuff i think it works better on my horsehide jacket........the horsehide jacket from u.s. is breaking in well...

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
PECARD VS PINAUD

I would be afraid that I would mix my pinaud hair dressing up for the pecard leather dressing....

...then again....I might get great results on my scalp....

lol lol lol

mark the shoeshine boy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy