Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carhartt Detroit Jacket

Nacho

Practically Family
can anyone tell me about the new Detroit jackets? I seem to remember they stopped making them and then began again, but made differently? Some kind of scuttlebutt in the past few years about them. If you can refresh my memory, I'd appreciate it. and then a couple other questions?
1) if wanting to buy a Detroit, what should I look for? Look for a vintage jacket? be fine with a brand new one? what details (zippers, etc) do I want to watch out for?

2) does anyone else make a quality copy of the Detroit? If so, who? I don't mean these boutique brands that are selling modified versions for $500. Big Ben? Dickies? Any other brands?

This is mine. 90s vintage I believe. Although it was made in Mexico, but the quality is definitely there. If you can find the made in USA one in good conditions, you’re golden. Otherwise, made in Mexico is fine.

IMG_5678.jpeg

IMG_5683.jpeg

IMG_5686.jpeg

IMG_5689.jpeg

IMG_5688.jpeg

And I don’t know much about their current offerings. I heard Carhartt WIP is pretty good compared to the regular.

andyone

A-List Customer
This is mine. 90s vintage I believe. Although it was made in Mexico, but the quality is definitely there. If you can find the made in USA one in good conditions, you’re golden. Otherwise, made in Mexico is fine.

View attachment 567055
View attachment 567056
View attachment 567057
View attachment 567058
View attachment 567059

And I don’t know much about their current offerings. I heard Carhartt WIP is pretty good compared to the regular.
That one looks stunning!

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
thanks, Nacho. I did find a couple extensive posts on reddit about the Detroit, but to be honest, I found it confusing. I'm motivated, but I guess I'm not that motivated. One of those reddit threads was the history of the Detroit. Anytime I think of myself as obsessive, someone writing five pages with 100 photo links proves that I am not.

Nacho

Practically Family
thanks, Nacho. I did find a couple extensive posts on reddit about the Detroit, but to be honest, I found it confusing. I'm motivated, but I guess I'm not that motivated. One of those reddit threads was the history of the Detroit. Anytime I think of myself as obsessive, someone writing five pages with 100 photo links proves that I am not.

Yeah I know of those posts. I read a few pages and gave up at that point. It's good that we do our due diligence before making a purchase, but too much info can be detrimental sometimes. Analysis paralysis y’know.

I wouldn’t fuss too much over the details. The design hasn’t changed that much, only a few minor things like the cuffs and body length. Simply find a decent vintage one and you’re good to go. There are a few nice ones floating around Grail and Mercari Japan right now.

Carl Murawski did a great video on the Detroit if you want a condensed version of the history. Save you time reading those long Reddit posts. He also listed some alternatives from other brands so that will answer one of your questions.

At the end of the day, it’s just outerwear. Don't lose yourself in it. If you find a quality jacket that fits you well and at a good price, buy it and wear the hell out of it. :cool:

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I have an old Detroit that was gifted a very long time ago. I didn't know it was called, only that I wore it so much that the edges of the cuffs and waist frayed, and when I wasn't looking on a visit home, my mother had a friend of hers cap all those frayed edges with some kind of dark brown material. She did a very nice job and only charged my mother $10. The zipper pull broke off the chest pocket almost as soon as I gained ownership, so an ink pen spring has been the zipper pull. It was the only thing handy in my center console of my car, and it has functioned just fine. I didn't wear it to work, but as a hiking/outdoor jacket and dog training jacket. To be honest, I haven't worn it in a very long time, but I think of it often. For no good reason, I thought I should maybe find a backup before it is anymore cost prohibitive than it already is.

Speaking of Murawski, that Detroit-inspired collaborative he did for $550 is sharp...but not $550 sharp. I get why bespokes do it, but save me the $15-30 and skip the decorative box, linen presentation bag, stickers, and other junk. It's cool and all, but it's superfluous. Or just give me the damn corduroy collar and not charge an additional $30 for it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner