Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carnation in lapel?

armod

Familiar Face
I thought there might have been some color coding here as I knew that "hanky code" must have had some vintage beginning where it was adapted and evolved to what it is now?

Alexi

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
I think the term "homosexual" is allowed around here. :rolleyes:

oh i'm just having fun...

I also think it covered a much larger area then homosexual. There is the term
"queer" which is now accepted terminology among those who self identify covering homosexual, bisexual and transgender or anything else outside of mainstream sexual norms.

The term queer still makes me cringe de to the fact I grew up with queer just meaning weird.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
armod said:
I thought there might have been some color coding here as I knew that "hanky code" must have had some vintage beginning where it was adapted and evolved to what it is now?

I was unfamiliar with that, but perhaps my wearing a bandana around my neck is why I was uhhh "approached" in a bathroom when i was last in quebec city.

7319_130413177631_707987631_2465733_130307_n.jpg

armod

Familiar Face
Alexi said:
I was unfamiliar with that, but perhaps my wearing a bandana around my neck is why I was uhhh "approached" in a bathroom when i was last in quebec city.

7319_130413177631_707987631_2465733_130307_n.jpg

and it was red too!

I hope you made it clear you weren't interested

davestlouis

Practically Family
We had a family today who requested white roses for bouts instead of the normal small carnations...it looked very nice. To help identify who's who at a large funeral, all of the FH staff wears matching maroon ties, the livery company guys (limo drivers) wear gray ties, and the pallbearers have bouts on their lapels...helps tremendously with getting the right people where they need to be.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
davestlouis said:
We had a family today who requested white roses for bouts instead of the normal small carnations...it looked very nice.]

Interesting davestlouis! It makes one almost feel like dying! :)

Though i am no friend of boutonnieres in everyday wear, here Jack Buchanan(1891-1957), the British Fred Astaire, doesn't look so bad with that small red carnation in lapel. Had it been bigger, that's another story!
He looks so relaxed in that photo too, suit creases and all!

JackBuchanan.jpg

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
I had my group members wear green carnations in an English class when I was in high school where we had to present on a particular era/group of poets - we did the Decadents, I think we were Rimbaud, Verlaine, and Wilde!
Green carnations are the first thing I thought of when I clicked on this thread. I should wear them regularly; they would match my hair and make a great statement!

davestlouis

Practically Family
Nothing wrong with being dead, it's the dying part that concerns me. Our bouts have greenery on them and pin to the lapel, so few men have suits with proper holes for the bouts.

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
HadleyH said:
yes get_atomized but make the carnations small not too big otherwise they look like veggies! :)
I'll leave the subtle and sensible to you, and keep my foppish and absurd lapel decorations to myself if you don't mind!:p

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Get some white ones and put them in green food colouring, it should work okay.

I'm rather fond of some naturally green flowers, I must admit that.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
William Powell didn't have much trouble choosing a flower for his lapel .... white gardenia of course (along with pocket square I might add)

W.P. with Carole Lombard.
ladies-man-cl-wp.jpg

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I was...

WideBrimm said:
When I was just a lad we all got dressed for Mother's Day and that included carnations for everyone. As I recall there was one color if one's mother was alive & kicking, and another color if one's mother was deceased. Here's a very nice entry from Wikipedia on the subject. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother's_Day_and_Carnation

...going to mention the same thing. It used to be a white carnation if your mother was deceased and a red carnation if your mom was living. I haven't seen it done in years though. Maybe next year...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael