Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cartoon shows that you remember watching as a kid

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
did anyone ever see a bugs bunny cartoon (daffy duck was in it too i think) that had an animated humphrey bogart in it ? it was very dark and noirish and full of black murderous humour (quite scary).....and old, not a modern homage.

if anyone can direct me toward that cartoon i will be eternally grateful.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
herringbonekid said:
anything by tex avery or chuck jones...

I'm a die-hard classic Looney Toons fan, though I dig the OLD Felix cartoons and most anything from that era. Heck, my avitar is a bizzare self-portrait a la Merrie Melodies. I actually got to meet Chuck Jones a number of years ago when I was part of a young animators group. The funny thing is that before we went in to have a "rap session" with Chuck, I stuck up a conversation with a polite old man. He was very friendly. After about five or ten minutes, one of the facilitators of the meeting walked up and said to the man, "You about ready, Chuck?" At that point, I realized WHO I was having a conversation with and I practically did a Tex Avery with my eyes falling out of my head and my jaw becoming unhinged! I was heart broken the day he died.

bink

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
herringbonekid said:
did anyone ever see a bugs bunny cartoon (daffy duck was in it too i think) that had an animated humphrey bogart in it ? it was very dark and noirish and full of black murderous humour (quite scary).....and old, not a modern homage.

I believe you're looking for the cartoon titled "Slick Hare."

S

Shaul-Ike Cohen

herringbonekid said:

Hm, I faintly remember one that also had Harpo Marx, but that was some sports thing, not noirish.

S

Shaul-Ike Cohen

Bugs and Bogart

The one with the penguin? That would be "8 Ball Bunny" (1950).

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
"Slick Hare" has Elmer Fudd dressed up as Harpo when Bugs tries to disquise himself as Groucho. In a nutshell, Elmer is a waiter in a VERY famous restaurant where all the celebrities dine. Humphrey orders fried rabbit and wants it quickly "or else." THIS, of course, is where the fun begins since Elmer needs to find a wabb--er, rabbit to serve Humphrey. In the chase, Bugs even hides in Carmen Miranda's fruit hat at one point. The punchline at the end comes when Humphrey says, "Oh, well, I guess Baby will have to settle for a ham sandwhich." When it's realized he's referring to Lauren Bacall, Bugs gladly serves himself as the main course!

S

Shaul-Ike Cohen

slick.jpg

topcat

Familiar Face
"one coconut custard pie with whipped cream"

"one coconut custard pie with whipped cream,comin' up"

"pick up pie"

"roger"

" your pie sir" (thrown in Elmer's face)

Feraud

Bartender
herringbonekid said:

Wasn't Bogie featured in another Bugs Bunny episode?
Something about Bugs being on an island with cannibals? Fred C. Dobbs asked Bugs (more than once) to "stake a fellow American to a meal".

topcat

Familiar Face
Actually Feraud that's one with Bugs and a penquin, where Humphrey asks
if you could help a fellow American who's down on his luck.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
If you guys wanna know how much the animators got away with back then, I highly recommend "Chuck Amuck." It's a semi-autobiographical work by the late Chuck Jones which cronicles much of what went on behind the scenes. It's a wonder they kept their jobs as long as they did!

CWetherby

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
My favorite cartoons are Tom & Jerry, Bugs Bunny, and Popeye. I might be the only person I know to like the Altman Popeye film! [huh]

I saw the Altman Popeye when it first came out and loved it. I thought it was quirky, but then went back and watched the cartoons and saw the connection. That whole village set was great, too.

So now you can't say you don't know anyone who liked it:)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Just about anything made between 1940 and 1965

mysterygal said:
I've started collecting classic cartoons for the kids and watching along with them, I'm finding I like them almost as much as they do! :) Some of my favorited so far is little LuLu and mighty mouse.....anyone here got some favorites?

That was really the golden era of animation. All of the big studio cartoons were produced for the adult audiences at movie theaters,and they were all outstanding.
When I was a kid, I was glued to the TV screen on Saturday morning without fail.
There was nothing cooler than of course Warner Brothers Loonie Tunes. :)

Can you help out a fellow American, down on his luck?

There is the one Bugs Bunny, where thru the movie, this Bogart cartoon person wanders thru asking if they can help a fellow American down on his luck, which is taken from "The Treasure of Sierra Madre" a fine film.

Doh!

One Too Many
I'm not sure of the title, but there's a classic Popeye 'toon that mixes live-action in with animation when Popeye comes to the rescue of a kid who's just been bullied. It's really a "Best of" short but very funny.

My favorite bit is when Popeye enters the real world from the cover of one of his comics, and mumbles under his breath, "Let me get this book off'n me!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav