Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cash or debit card?

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
How many of you carry cash for regular purchases?

I just put some cash in my money clip AND ordered a new debit card because I (literally) wore out the old one. My wife also teases me about never carrying any cash. Why have it when most places take debit cards and then I don't have lot of change falling out of my pocket.

While I love my money clip (Tiffany), I don't like finding a ATM where I don't get hit with a fee. The machine also forces me to take out $20 or more when maybe I only wanted $5. If I do have cash, I still use the debt when I can.

Anyone else face this kinda thing?

BRS

D

drafttek

Cash only, with a credit card for emergencies and online use. Don't have a debit card and I've never used an ATM, don't even know how. I write a check at the grocery store too. If I don't have the cash for something, I don't need it that badly.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I live in a cash free household. I've learned recently that I rely far too much on my debit card. Last December my card was stolen:( It took a few weeks to get a replacement card and during that time I was lost!! It wasn't hard for me to get money out, I live with my banker! (Thanks Hemingway Jones) But, I'm terrible with cash, hate to carry it. Even more annoying was that I had to write checks for some purchases:rage:
Speaking of checks, I have an account with Smith Barney and for the past year I have been trying to get a debit card from them. I have plenty of checks, and on three separate occasions I've received a PIN for the card, but still, no card. Every time I call Bob, my wonderful Smith Barney guy, to let him know that I got the PIN but never received the card, he looks into it and finds some glitch which prevented my card from arriving. So, anytime I want to use money from this account I have to right a check!! This is getting annoying, and although I am incredibly satisfied with the service I get from Smith Barney/Citigroup, I don't understand why it's taking them over a year to get me my gosh darn debit card!!!! But the good thing about this is because it's difficult to get money out of the account, I spend less! HA lol
Bottom line, I rely far too much on the debit card. Every store I know of and use takes them, so why bother carrying cash? I think cash is becoming obsolete.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've always carried cash -- it was all I knew growing up, because my mother never had a checking account or a credit card, so I never got into the habit of using them. I didn't have my first credit card till I was 35, and I never had a checking account of my own till after I got divorced.

I do have a debit card, though -- it came as a freebie with the checking account -- but I use it only for online purchases.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I have two debit cards and a credit card, I rarely carry cash. I only take it out if I am needing to buy lunch, or a drink or something small like that. It's always been sod's law that if I've carried a bunch of cash I have lost my wallet! (well happened once, but I learned my lesson). We don't get charged for using ATMs here normally, but you do if you take it out on a credit card so I never do that.

I use my debit card(s) for everything, and my bank has just introduced a saving scheme where they round your purchase up to the nearest pound and put it in a savings account for you. They're matching the amounts up until the end of March so I'm using it even more than normal, for £1 and £2 transactions to get free money from them!

rongoms

Familiar Face
Cash, as much as possible. Keeps me from spending too much as well. it's more....real when i have to unwrap the bills from the roll. :)

I carry a debit card for immediate needs, (like stumbling arcoss a watch i MUST have), but use ONLY a rechargable debit card for online purchases and keep a small amount on that adding the amount that i've just spent on auction + $10 or so.

Having suffered a rather large eBay scam, it's the ONLY way to go for me.

So few places in seattle even TAKE checks anymore that it's not really worth it to carry them for me anymore.

Naama

Practically Family
So, I think over here the situation is quite different from the u.s. Because most people over here use cash. I also prefer cash over cards, because it's easier to loose control if you use youre card. I only use my credit card if I buy something from a non-EU internetstore.

Naama

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Like Brian, I mostly use my debit card and rarely carry cash. Or did, until I got married, switched bank accounts, and began having trouble getting a card for the new account out of my bank. Still trying to resolve that one...

lindylady

A-List Customer
I use my debit card almost always. Like Brian Sheridan, I too have worn out my card and had to get a new one. Since my bank doesn't charge any fees to use my card, no matter how small the amount, I don't see the need to carry cash. Every store and place I need to go in this area accepts debit cards. Before I moved here, I carried cash or wrote checks. Life is much easier and convenient now, at least in this aspect ;)

Although, I must say that I will fork over cash for itty bitty purchases that cost a few dollars. I get embarrassed when I don't have cash and must use my card to pay for a $2 item. :eek:

Bebop

Practically Family
I was raised in a cash household. I think most people over about 45 were, therefore, I have never liked cards, credit or debit. I just don't like getting bills or having to keep track of where and when I used my debit card. I do like to have my cards for times when it is not possible to use cash, like purchses over about $100, gasoline and to get cash from supermarket checkers (no fee).
I like to keep things simple. If I can't pay cash for something, I try not to buy it. Even on credit, unless it can't wait, like vet bills last week ($704.00 !!):(

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
Both for me. I usually stop at the ATM once a week for my weekly cash allowance, but when that unknowingly runs out I fall back on the debt card.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I have both, (credit card for emergencies(like ebaylol) ) debit for big purchases, but given that the area I work in is pretty rough, I make it my business not to carry too much cash, only 10 or 20 dollars, too much around here will get you jumped, and I really don't need that on top of midterms to deal with:(

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
The debit card is the modern way to go. No need to carry large sums of cash and its accepted everywhere. Cash is yesterday (maybe thats why you people carry cash ?).

52Styleline

A-List Customer
Both. I work for a financial institution so an ATM is very handy...and free of service fees. Always have a spot of cash on hand.

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
Debit card here, and I'm so accustomed to it that it's quite startling and inconvenient when I end up somewhere that doesn't take cards. Such as the Portland Expo Center parking -- they don't take cards!

I find that I spend a lot of money, regardless of cash or card. If I'm going to spend the money anyway, I'd rather not have to carry around change, so I stick with the card. :eusa_doh:

Matt

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
SF is a very cash only citay, so I have acclimated to that. I use my debit and CC for things big, or purchases that I want a strong trail of (online things etc) cause they have good online protection.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot