Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Casual Summer Shoes

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I'm looking to pick up a pair of casual shoes for wear with shorts over the summer. I'm thinking something in canvas, perhaps Sperry Topsiders
41E6RbLMYFL._AA280_.jpg

Or these Tommy Bahama Rum Runners.................Or these Tommy Hilfiger Duxburys
41nShtI3zxL._AA280_.jpg
41Buw53gHXL._AA280_.jpg

The Topsiders, at least, have some claims to the Golden Age, having been invented in 1935 (according to their propaganda), though I'm not sure which models.

Thoughts? I'm open to any suggestions!

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm a huge fan of Sperry CVO's. I've been wearing them for almost 20 years. My current pair is actually from Polo, but I got them for about $5 on clearance so couldn't resist. I vote for the Sperry's. They're a true classic. I usually get white, myself, but any color will do.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Mojave, I wear Sperry's a lot and can attest to their extreme comfort and durability. The faded navy one in your photo also comes in white, although I think it's actually an off-white color. You can also check out the L. L. Bean version and the Polo version. Vans also makes a good quality classic shoe like this, but of course they don't necessarily have the vintage legacy. Sperry and Polo run true to size, while Bean and Vans seem to be about a half size larger than marked. I highly recommend searching for a shoe with the padded collar as these don't produce much friction on the heel (i.e. much more comfy).

Try www.zappos.com and search under Mens-Athletic Canvas
There's also www.boatshoes.com

Nick Charles

Practically Family
you know my choice;) since I wore them when we were out the other day. I do like the Tommy Bahama though just could never find a cheap pair.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Nick, yours were what inspired me to start looking again! I had a great pair from Bass for years that I really liked. They had leather accents, including the lining of the padded collar, but they don't seem to be making them any longer. I wore those things until they were just coming apart.

Mike, I don't know why I didn't think of LL Bean myself! Good call. They make theirs pre-distressed, though, I see. I'm not crazy about that trend, but with the white version it might not be as obvious.

My last pair were blue, just like yours, Nick, but I was thinking about white or the khaki of the other models. Alan, are your white ones pretty flexible in your wardrobe, or are they more so than the blue ones would be? The khaki would definitely go with my current wardrobe a bit better, but I was thinking I need to diversify a little! My wife would probably appreciate that!

I've thought about some of the classic boat shoes, too, like the ones LL Bean has from Sperry:

M51134_Dark_Tan.jpg

They have the bad association of all the frat guys in college that wore them in December without socks, though, and I'm not sure I want to channel an 80s frat guy look. I would be afraid that some compulsion would cause me to flip my polo shirt collar up!

Your thoughts on that style?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Sperrys

I love them and Timberland too even though they are now China PRC made and not the quality of the USA made stuff of yesteryear. However, I have had 2 recent pairs of Topsiders and (in winter) am wearing their Chukka boots I bought on sale last winter. Wow are these chukka boots comfortable!. Just like the Sperry topsiders. I think Sperrys are now better made than Timberlands which was not always the case IMHO.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Although I'm not a huge fan of slip on shoes, these were an option I was considering.
The Sperry Largo Espadrille
41KXTF5TDXL._AA280_.jpg

They look pretty comfy, and if I recall correctly, Hemingway was a fan of theses, wasn't he? No bad Jeff Spicoli associations, either!

Mike K.

One Too Many
Mojave, the L. L. Bean ones may be pre-faded in the blue, but the white ones are not. I have a pair of the white ones since my old Sperry's are almost at the end of their lifespan. The Bean boat shoes are very white, have the padded ankle collar, and have leather accents. The canvas is a little stiff at first but they break in quickly just like any other canvas boat shoe.
Mojave Jack said:
Although I'm not a huge fan of slip on shoes, these were an option I was considering.
Aww, come on John! We all know you really want a pair just like Spicoli wore!lol
vans_blkwhite.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I've got a pair of deck shoes from Bean I like a lot (bought two identical pair and have worn out the first). With shorts I generally wear my Dr Marten leather sandals.
Anyone wear Huaraches?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Huarches

scotrace said:
I've got a pair of deck shoes from Bean I like a lot (bought two identical pair and have worn out the first). With shorts I generally wear my Dr Marten leather sandals.
Anyone wear Huaraches?

I probably can't but I saw a pair on eBay a few minutes ago and they looked pretty hot with the car tyre soles and embroidered vamp.

farnham54

A-List Customer
Jack,

I have for over a year now owned a pair of Clarks that are inspired by the boat shoes (in fact, a boat shoe is what I was looking for)

http://www.softmoc.com/ca/systemshow-item_I78611

They are, bar none, the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. In fact, I have worn them everyday since I bought them, winter and summer. I intend to purchase another 2 or 3 pairs this summer, and keep them in my closet in case they wear out (though no signs of that yet!). And, I'll also mention, I walk virtually everywhere (I have no car).

Cheers
Craig

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mojave Jack said:
Alan, are your white ones pretty flexible in your wardrobe, or are they more so than the blue ones would be? The khaki would definitely go with my current wardrobe a bit better, but I was thinking I need to diversify a little! My wife would probably appreciate that!

I like my white ones, and they're pretty versatile, I find. Of course, I just wear them to knock around in. The washed blue is nice, too. Personally, I probably wouldn't wear the khaki as it would be too close to most of my trousers.

Boat shoes are a classic, but I've never really taken to them. A lot of guys swear by them, though. They're certainly a versatile casual shoe.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Mojave Jack said:
these were an option I was considering. The Sperry Largo Espadrille

I like Sperry's espadrilles, especially for the boat; good construction and a great sole.

Shoes190.jpg
[/IMG]

cheaterome

One of the Regulars
Mike K. said:
Mojave, the L. L. Bean ones may be pre-faded in the blue, but the white ones are not. I have a pair of the white ones since my old Sperry's are almost at the end of their lifespan. The Bean boat shoes are very white, have the padded ankle collar, and have leather accents. The canvas is a little stiff at first but they break in quickly just like any other canvas boat shoe.

Aww, come on John! We all know you really want a pair just like Spicoli wore!lol
vans_blkwhite.jpg

I know I do and I have. Vans---- been rocking them since 86 ---can't stop ,
won't stop!!!!

263190556.jpg

263190561.jpg

263190569.jpg

263190590.jpg

263190588.jpg

While being extremely stylish with vintage 1940's Hawaiians and WW2 khakis the real purpose and ultimate deciding factor is to this very day.......
They really help with the mandatory frontside smith grind or frontside rock ' n' roll in pools!!!!!

R.I.P. THE TURF

Love,

Cheaterome

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I like vans (esp. those hightops) , but they're just so wide that I can't wear them comfortably.
the curse of a very narrow foot, I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo