Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cenci - London vintage shop

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
On the 'Gary Oldman' thread a number of us have been discussing London vintage shops. The subject of 'Cenci' came up and I realised i just had to pay a visit (since it's 20 years since I bought a tie from them for my wedding and their new shop is just two miles from my house).

I have never seen such a large vintage shop in the UK. It's well organised. Labels are colour coded and show waist sizes and leg lengths (including how much spare material there is to let down). The stock is vast, mostly coming from northern Italy, Austria and Switzerland.

Most importantly, they stock plenty of large sizes. Even vintage trousers in large sizes! I found three pairs that fit my 40inch waist! And which I liked enough to buy.

I thought I would show you all what I found:

Firstly, a pair of plain black trousers in very heavy wool, with typical continental features (pocket style etc, I am reliably informed). They have the German style braces straps, which have been carefully stored inside the loop that I had always assumed was simply for hanging up the trousers:
IMG_1724.jpg

IMG_1725.jpg

Secondly, a pair of distinctive morning suit trousers. Modern morning suit trousers are dreadful - too narrow, too lightweight etc - these are brilliantly heavy:
IMG_1721.jpg

Here's a close up of the fabric:
IMG_1723.jpg

And here's the inside of the waistband. These have got handy loops for holding the braces straps in place when braces are not being worn:
IMG_1722.jpg

Thirdly, dinner suit trousers. Once again, they are very heavy and are much wider in the leg than any modern dinner suit trousers.
IMG_1720.jpg

I also noticed that the braces buttons are wide spread, with the outermost button fitted at the side seam.
IMG_1727.jpg

Having spent too much money, I couldn't get away without buying at least one tie. It is a Swiss silk tie in nicely muted colours:
IMG_1718.jpg

IMG_1719.jpg

Anyway, if any of you are in the South London area, I would recommend paying them a visit. Good hunting.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
good finds TT... i still have some German trousers from Cenci (and many shirts).

in case anyone missed it, i worked at Cenci when they were on Monmouth street, Covent Garden in 2001 before they were driven out by rent increases.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Was that the one that was packed to the rafters with vintage dresses - with dresses actually hanging from the ceiling? I think it has closed down. When I went in there a few years back it didn't have any mens clothes.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Cenci story part 1:

Cenci had a vast selection of American late 40s to mid 50s flecky jackets downstairs, although downstairs was only open to special customers. i bought many of these jackets in my early days as a vintage buyer when i was into the 1950s and had a James Dean / beatnik thing going on. it took me a couple of years to realise that these long straight jackets did nothing for me at all, and that i was born to wear the more fitted English 30s 40s shape. my girlfriend of the time even told me this and i wouldn't listen. i was in thrall to the fleck.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I'm the opposite. My body shape is more suited to a straight jacket. The good thing is that, as a result, I need to wear a jacket with a waist to give me the correct shape and show that I have a waist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael