Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Champ Duncan stingy 7 1/4

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
Here's a nice stingy-brim fedora I thought I'd offer up to fellow Loungers. I hate to part with it -- it's in perfect condition, and it belonged to my wife's late grandfather, a former Chicago cop. But stingies don't look good on me, and it's too small, so I'd like to see it go to someone who'd wear and appreciate it.

What I have is a Champ Duncan in "Tar Dresden," which apparently was Champ's name for what looks to me like a medium gray. It's in its original box, which I would describe as moderately shelf worn; the lid is torn in one corner. Hat sits in its original insert in the box.

It's looks to me like Grampa never wore this hat, maybe once or twice -- there's no visible wear that I can see. Center dent, no pinch. Brim measures 1 1/4" front and rear, 1 1/8" at the sides, crown 5", 1 7/8" black grosgrain band with red feather, coat cord attached at the bow, with lapel button at end. Lining is intact and looks unworn, features Champ crest and "Felted by Master Craftsmen." Sweatband likewise looks unworn, with sharp printing: "Champ, Feel the Felt," "Kasmir Finish" and "Lew Bass Menswear, 2406 W. 63rd. St., Chicago, ILL." Size tag reads 7 1/4. Original price tag reads "$11.95" within a circle, then beneath "Champ ... made in USA of the finest fur felt by master craftsmen ..." Opposite side of price tag lists style, color, size and re-ordering instructions.

Don't know age of the hat, but would guess early 1960s.

I'm open to offers -- questions and comments, too -- to jdudlicek@att.net.

Thanks,
Jim Dudlicek
Hoffman Estates, IL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn