Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chapal leathers

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
At 1.070,25 euro ex VAT and delivery, I would want to see one first. Maybe they only have the website - there doesn't seem to be info on stockists unless I missed it.

John Lever

One Too Many
I used to own one of their B-3's. A shop in London called Grand Prix Racewear stocked Chapal and Aero jackets, but has now closed. My B-3 cost £350 from Chapal before the Euro was adopted, since then prices have gone silly.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Does anyone know if the MODEL 1914 ETE COTTON INSIDE. SHEEPSKIN COLLAR REMOVABLE A0960 is horsehide or steer?

They are gorgeous, I have wondered though why they are so expensive.

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
Can't find many images of it, but here's two...

Front
14e7u44.jpg

Back
2vttxjq.jpg

Just the ticket for some old school flying/motoring! :D

JanSolo

Practically Family
Looks like a very simple and straight forward jacket to me! I can't see why it should cost more than an Aero or Eastman. The horizantal "belly" seam which is covered by the belt makes the jacket look a bit cheap in my opinion.

If somebody should desperatly want that jacket it's probably best to show those images to Aero and let them take care of it. I'm sure that they would come up with a jacket that's far superior to this one in detail and constrution.
Jeez, the body seams don't even appear to be top stitched...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
That seam in the middle doesn't help the look. As Jan says, it looks more like something you'd see in a cheaper, perhaps a Wilson's jacket. It's a design which makes use of smaller, easier to obtain pieces of leather. It may be a period accurate copy however...

Last edited:

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
That seam in the middle doesn't help the look. As Jan says, it looks more like something you'd see in a cheaper, perhaps a Wilson's jacket. It's a design which makes use of smaller, easier to obtain pieces of leather. It may be a period accurate copy however...

Yes, it's a copy of the coats made for the Aéronautique Militaire in the First World War.

lgcarp

New in Town
Never heard of this manufacturer until you posted the pix of the Chapal 1914 Ete. Classy beyond belief. I want one.

Edward

Bartender
Looks nice, and I hear good things about the quality of Chapel. At that price, though, I'd rather pick up an Aero Barnstormer and some nice stuff to wear under it!

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
Looks nice, and I hear good things about the quality of Chapel. At that price, though, I'd rather pick up an Aero Barnstormer and some nice stuff to wear under it!

I may well wind up sending Aero photographs of the coat to see if they could copy, or perhaps adapt one of their designs to resemble it.

BenchLoom

New in Town
Chapal Jacket answers

Hi guys, I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to say that Chapal jackets can now be bought here
http://www.benchandloom.com

Bench & Loom is based in the US but it may be to many people's advantage with the exchange rate as it is. And for full disclosure, yes, this is my website but I figured, considering the discussion, some might be genuinely interested.

The 1914 jacket is made from cow, not horse. It comes in a winter version - fully lined in shearling, and a 3-season version - lined in gabardine cotton with a removable shearling collar.

Happy to answer any questions. Thanks, Jared

Interesting. Look nice, but are those prices for real?
Given the non-custom generic sizing, that's a might steep.
I want an A1, but I can't see spending $2800 on a generic size?

Last edited:

BenchLoom

New in Town
They can be easily customized. But your point is a good one and more measurements will be posted. The site's only a few days old.

I posted a question in the A-1 thread, maybe you know. Does anyone know of the fit and quality of the Ralph Lauren "Purple Label Bomber" A-1 that's available for $4000? Just curious as I've only just seen pictures.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Hey the nice thing is that it appears that they do have a number of Aeros in stock. So if you want that D1, you can wear it this winter instead of next!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael