Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chaplin Mustache in Modern Day Society?

Hercule

Practically Family
Feraud said:
The return is imminent..
Michael-Jordan.jpg

Jordan-sports-a-Hitler-mustache.jpg

He certainly pulls it off well and definitely without the negative associations of that type of mustache. Perhaps because the "tickler" (goatee?) offsets it. In this instance context is everything.

H

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Of all of the things that ole Adolph and the Nazi party made unpopular, the one I can live without best is the Mustache.

Some rest home got bad publicity because they designed their one story rest home in the shape of a swastika. It was that shape to fit a lot, and to have all of the rooms have a ventilation window. Apparently, no one looked at the shape...

Black uniforms are pretty much out except for SWAT teams thanks to the SS, and black dress uniforms look pretty darn good.

Later

mattfink

Practically Family
I was gonna say I've seen a few elderly black gentleman wearing a toothbrush, but never a white guy.

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
filfoster said:
No. James71 nailed it. These were ruined in May, 1945 for white dudes. Well, really, they were ruined in January 1933, weren't they?
Yep thats pretty much it, I just thought it would be interesting to ask and
see some replies.

I personally am a chaplin phanatic, and I would sport the mustache except
I can't really do that, now can I :eusa_doh: And who knows maby some
day It'll be reclaimed for comedy and for Mr. Chaplin but for now that
probably woun't happen, Do you people think it should never be worn
and think it should allways be associated with Hitler, or be reclaimed for
comedy?

James71

A-List Customer
Honstly, the image of hitler is so ingrained into western society that I believe it will be at least a few generations until its acceptable again. Once everyone alive now is a generation or more gone. It wont be until WW2 is considered ancient history.

After all, lots of hollywood stars sported the Caesar hair cut.

filfoster

One Too Many
Stash trashed

It's a strange fate that this style moustache is associated with some of the most beloved entertainers -Chaplain and Oliver Hardy- but damned by AH!
It is a very powerful and unique look but way too offensive for most of us to get away with. Too bad. Again, James71 sums it up pretty well.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Good Luck Emblem

I agree about the Swastika also! Our own Colorado Air National Guard used the Swastika as their unit emblem before the war, to honor Native American tribes of the South West! Now it is the Cougher. Also, Raoul Lufbery of the Escadrille Lafayette, Spa-124, had the upright version in three positions on one of his Spad VIIs! Now, in any form it is considered a NAZI insignia.

filfoster

One Too Many
Nazi spoilers

As if the Nazis didn't cause enough misery, they spoiled forever cool moustaches and a very striking symbol. And the goose step. So much collateral damage.

Imagine how many or our marginally educated school kids see some of those native American blankets, or other handcrafts with the design and ask how they became Nazis?

Smuterella

One Too Many
My grandfather, a former East End jockey who built planes during the war, sported one until his death 10 years ago, along with brylcreemed slicked back hair. I wish I had a picture of him with his little tache, rolled up trousers and knotted hanky on his head, sat on his deckchair in the sunshine.

i used to tease him that he looked like Hitler, but he told me he had the moustache "before that b@£$6*£d came along and he would bl00dy keep it as long as he wanted"

:)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Sydhavn-160509-Messerschmidt.jpg

Just think about this. The Hitler tache is one of the most used grafitti symbol - used on pictures of people you do not like. Either as persons or their politics.
This symbol will always be assosiated with hate, intolerrance, murder, nazis, etc. etc. - and the Hitler tache will never, ever come back in real life. Only as a symbol. Right or wrong - depending on who draws it on whom.

This guy is a member of a ultra rightwing/nationalist party in Denmark - and his lastname sure doesn't help either. Almost a joke in itself.

The headline says: Give us back Denmark - and the grafitti in the lover left corner says - like in 1940.

Milu

Familiar Face
Without wishing to offend anyone who wears one or even likes them - I think it's the most ridiculous style of moustache ever developed. Making it unwearable was a gift from Hitler to the world. Flame on

HoundstoothLuke

Familiar Face
Who would have thought a short Austrian Corporal would have such a long-lasting impact on men's facial hair choices.

I do think it would look dashing with a brown shirt and some long boots though.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

There is a pre-WW2 movie starring Charlie Chaplin as Hitler. There's a scene with an inflated beach ball globe and Charlie is dancing around the Chancellery dancing and bouncing it in the air.

Funniest thing I've ever seen.

later

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
1961MJS said:
Hi

There is a pre-WW2 movie starring Charlie Chaplin as Hitler. There's a scene with an inflated beach ball globe and Charlie is dancing around the Chancellery dancing and bouncing it in the air.

Funniest thing I've ever seen.

later
Yeys that was very famous: The Great Dictator

filfoster

One Too Many
The Bohemian Corporal

Milu said:
Without wishing to offend anyone who wears one or even likes them - I think it's the most ridiculous style of moustache ever developed. Making it unwearable was a gift from Hitler to the world. Flame on

And yet, when you look at AH's features, without that little 'stache, his appearance would have been far less effective-rather bland. Unfortunately for tens of millions, it was part of the appeal of his image-it gave his face a forceful look. Go figure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner