Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charleston set to hiphop, great

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
...it just Works. (reminds me of those old Kid'n'Play movies)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Agz_2um4c

al-minns-and-leon-james.jpg

Anachronism

One of the Regulars
I NEED to learn how to dance like that!
I can only swing dance, and when I was in high school my boyfriend and I spent a whole night swing dancing to modern music.

Chas

One Too Many
Hmmmm. Whatever.

No insult intended to the poster, but anything hip hop post Grandmaster Flash and or/ Afrika Bombattaa is crap. Repetitive, commercially driven and derivitive poop, IMHO. Jazz and swing was created and played (and is still being played) by musicians who didn't need turntables, computers and Protools. Artistically, culturally and more diverse and interesting that hip hop could ever aspire to be.

I know that you can pretty much "swing" dance to pretty much any genre of music that has a 4/4 beat, but my question is this - why would you want to?

There's nothing inherently wrong with hip hop dancing, or any other style of dancing for that matter. I stopped going to swing nights for several months some years ago when the djs insisted
on playing contemporary pop. music. I would never think of asking a dj to play swing in a nightclub, or at a tango night for instance, either.

Salv

One Too Many
Chas said:
Hmmmm. Whatever.

No insult intended to the poster, but anything hip hop post Grandmaster Flash and or/ Afrika Bombattaa is crap. Repetitive, commercially driven and derivitive poop, IMHO.

I knew I shouldn't have bothered looking in this thread...

Chas said:
Hmmmm. Whatever.

No insult intended to the poster, but anything hip hop post Grandmaster Flash and or/ Afrika Bombattaa is crap. Repetitive, commercially driven and derivitive poop, IMHO.

You just described every modern genre. Today, Modern Rock, Pop-punk, Rap, Country is souless.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Personally, I think the juxtaposition of the old dancing with the modern music. I love it.

As a general rule, I'm not a big fan of hip hop either, but I can at least appreciate the music. It's like art-- you may not like it, and you may not think there is much merit to it, but someone did put work into it, and it's nice to be able to see that rather than dismiss it as talentless because it isn't your personal favorite.

Chas

One Too Many
Son_of_Atropos said:
Chas said:
Hmmmm. Whatever.

You just described every modern genre. Today, Modern Rock, Pop-punk, Rap, Country is souless.

Yeah, pretty much. Espec. "New Country" ~ How I feel when exposed to New Country Radio

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I like some rap. Not into the newer droning type so much, but some is alright. This song, while I don't know the rappper, seems pretty cool and oldschool to me.

As for the video, it is kind of cool to see how well it fits, because the elements of the music is there, and it is not hard to see how it is actually a continued tradition from swing jump blues, fifties r and b, some black rock and roll, soul, mo town etc, funk, dosco, eighties r and b, and rap. Personally, I see a continued line of black music that runs parallel and criss crosses with rock and pop, but is still retains a pure line from the turn of the century.

However, to assume that just any music with the right rhythm, including hip hop works well for charleston or swing is silly. I recall discussions on lindy hop boards about can you dance to modern music. And at dances sometimes djs who think they are very clever will spin modenr stuff with heavy beats and swn beats etc. yes, you could swing dance to it, but why would you want to. It is poorly suited and people that think that it is good to lindy or swing dance to are only revealing how their dancing has not yet evolved to the point of really being with the music.

But there is some modern music, as displayed in the video that does work well rhythmically.

along those lines, there is a bar in Seattle that has a long history of booking country bands that play traditional honky tonk dance music. And many real cowboy two steppes filled the place even though it was in the middle of the city near downtown. They would come from many miles away to play and listen and dance. Well, these days they are booking a lot of these new bands composed of indy rock kids who now want to branch out into folk and traditional country. Nothing wrong with them wanting to do it, but they have no awareness or though of dance rhythms. The bands that used to play had many years of playing halls and bars for dancers, in a tradition that has always been dance music. The new musicians, while on the surface seem to be doinig traditional country music, have no intent or ability to lay down that strong infectious dance rhythm. I don't go anymore.

For dancing of any kind, it is really all about the rhythm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko