Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap & easy upgrade to your 50-mission-crusher...

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
If you do a quick search on Ebay, you will often come across NOS chin straps (cavalry strap) for US army officer's crushers. They come in light brown and dark brown. Frankly chaps, I feel they just 'sharpen' up the look of the crusher. It's a small addition that creates a huge 'overall' effect IMHO! :)I've just picked one up for about $8..!! (SEE LINK BELOW) and fitted it to my crusher (and it's an original WWII strap!!). Just adds a finishing touch if you like the brown leather strap to go all the way around the back. It doesn't damage the cap, I feel it adds to it, but if there is a specific history to your original cap, then I wouldn't advise playing around with it, as the cap then stands as it is.
Just a wee suggestion for those that want to upgrade using real WWII stock items.
CrusherCap1.jpg

CrusherCap2.jpg

CrusherCap3.jpg

Check this guy out where I got my strap from:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4722&item=6541876930&rd=1

Hondo

One Too Many
I have a question for those with a newer crusher cap, how to make it look a few missions older without damaging, Just leave new strap and visor as is and weather by time?
Mine is a Eastmanleather.
Thanks Paddy for upgrade idea.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Shaping your new crusher cap...

THE one in the photo below is an original, and thankfully due to the fabric being and English made felt, was very easy to shape, unlike some of the more modern fabrics being used in repros these days (wool and man-made fabric mix). I tried working with a Garcia crusher and it kept springing back up on me!! Firstly, check to see if your cap has wiring in the front to keep the front bit sticking up. If so, ditch the wire! Keep the cap. I'm not saying this is right for your particular cap (and I'm aware that Eastman's caps are not cheap to buy), so please be careful, but...soak the fabric (keep the leather dry) in some warm water then screw the surplus water out. Get a spray can of starch and give it a good dousing. then pop it onto the old noggin and shape by pushing the front flat against your head and pushing the sides with your hands towards the back of your head (like you were The Fonz pushing your hair back in a cool sort of way!! haha). Have fun, experiment and see what happens!

Have a look at Acme Depot's piece too:
http://www.acmedepot.com/keepemflying/crusher.shtml

Also, this link for crushers, garrison hats and baseball hats worn by the jaunty AAF veteran!
http://www.pbyrescue.com/uniforms/headgear.htm

CrusherCaponPaddy.jpg

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Ah, yes, the cavalry backstrap...those were typically removed by Air Corps types, althought they are handy for cinching down the cap against it falling off.

My Garcia had one, I used it to make the cap the right size to fit my head. My current (vintage) crusher had it removed.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just to prove that crushers were an international thing...

Even the Luftwaffe pilots felt that it was the sign of a veteran to have a jaunty 50 mission crusher!

geh3.jpg

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Indeed, and to my mind the SS m37 crusher was probably the best looking one of any nation during the war. Crushers were very popular with officers and NCOs and there were several different offical and unofficial variations.

Also, many German soldiers of all ranks would often remove the stiffener ring from their shirmutze (dress cap) to give it a jauntier appearance. You see it often in cabinet photos of soldiers especially.

Here is a pic of the SS 1937 NCO crusher.

SSM37NCO.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Even the RAF aircrew went for it...

RAF veterans even went for it...

Officer_Cap.jpg

How cool is that with a sheepskin Irvin jacket and a roll-neck jumper!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy