Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap Hats

Al

One of the Regulars
I often find cheap hats at various outlet stores. Many are stylish and LOOK good on me. Most under $20 and I'll pick one or two up.

The problem is these hats usually run in S, M, L only. S is too small. L is too large and the Medium is, well, just a tad too large. Has anyone run into this problem and what have you done to make the just a little too big medium fit better.

-Al

freebird

Practically Family
you could always put just a bit of foam under the sweatband.I think you can get it at most hat shops. Or you could always fold up a bit of paper towel and put under the sweatband,I know of a gentleman who uses the paper towel and it seems to work for him.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I use felt sheets that I buy at a craft store. The sheets have adhesive on one side. I cut a strip double wide from what I want and then fold the adhesive side onto itself so that I have a double thick strip with felt on both sides. I find it works really well and there ends up being no adhesive to stick to anything.

Al

One of the Regulars
Thanks to all!

Thanks Gentlemen,

All great tips, I like the felt sheets idea, more permanent than the paper towels.

The paper towels were a good fast and easy solution, now I can wear my cheap hat right away. Must plan a trip to the craft store though.

Thanks again.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I've sometimes used Velcro adhesive strips. Just the fuzzy half, mind you, not the prickly part. It has the peel and stick backing which can be employed to affix it to the inside of the hat's sweat band or left covered when simply slipped in place.

I do, however, think that BobC's adhesive felt idea may be the best approach of all.

G

funneman

Practically Family
You'll love this

When I find unbleached paper towels in restrooms I take a couple of extra sheets to fold up and tuck in behind the sweatband of hats that are a little too loose.

:p

I figure if the sweat does get through, (as it usually does on cheap hats with cloth sweatbands), it won’t leave as much of a stain.

Blowtorch

Familiar Face
I have three nice fedoras that all cost less than seven dollars.
I'll see if I can't get some pics up soon

You don't have to spend a lot of money to have a nice hat.
This holds true for cars, guitars, laptops, beer, and sandwiches...;)

(Some great ideas on helping too-large hats to fit)

Last edited:

DocCasualty

One of the Regulars
It took me a long time for some reason to learn that a hat which is a little too big is probably the right size. I've always hovered between a 7 1/4 and 7 3/8, depending on the hat. I've gained weight and the 3/8 is definitely the better fit for me now. As noted above, fillers in the sweat band easily make the fit better. Now those 7 1/4's that were tight fits before have needed stretching. Live and learn.

Reactions: RJR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo