Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Fitment

Popeye Doyle

New in Town
I have a lot of hats like I image most of you on here do. But I only have one hat that fits me perfect and one that’s near perfect. All the rest are a tad too big and have to have something under the sweatband, and that drives me crazy. I hate the way it makes the sweatband wrinkle up. I know no one but me usually sees that part of the hat but it still bugs me. The hat that fit’s me perfect is a Stetson Open Road in size 7 and the near perfect is an Akubra Territory in 7 1/8. I usually buy hats in that size because with most hats a size 7 is too tight. I don’t know how I got lucky with the Stetson because I bought it online like all the hats I’ve bought. But even other Stetsons that I try on in stores fits too tight In size 7. Anyone else have this problem of being right between sizes? I forgot I also have an Akubra Rough Rider that fits almost right. A bit loose but it doesn’t set down on my ears or anything like most of the 7 1/8 hats do. I’ve about give up on all hats except the Stetson and the Territory. Just wear them until they’re threadbare. Should I continue buying hats in 7 /18 or try to stretch out a 7?

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I have a lot of hats like I image most of you on here do. But I only have one hat that fits me perfect and one that’s near perfect. All the rest are a tad too big and have to have something under the sweatband, and that drives me crazy. I hate the way it makes the sweatband wrinkle up. I know no one but me usually sees that part of the hat but it still bugs me. The hat that fit’s me perfect is a Stetson Open Road in size 7 and the near perfect is an Akubra Territory in 7 1/8. I usually buy hats in that size because with most hats a size 7 is too tight. I don’t know how I got lucky with the Stetson because I bought it online like all the hats I’ve bought. But even other Stetsons that I try on in stores fits too tight In size 7. Anyone else have this problem of being right between sizes? I forgot I also have an Akubra Rough Rider that fits almost right. A bit loose but it doesn’t set down on my ears or anything like most of the 7 1/8 hats do. I’ve about give up on all hats except the Stetson and the Territory. Just wear them until they’re threadbare. Should I continue buying hats in 7 /18 or try to stretch out a 7?
Over the last ten years, as my hair thinned out, my hat size shrunk from a little bigger than 7-1/8 all the way down to right at 7 (I can even do a 6-7/8 now, though it’s tight). I used to have long, thick hair and now it’s thin and I keep it shaved close.

What I found as my head size shrank was it was easier to stretch up half a size than to put stuffing into sweatbands. It’s a personal choice but I’d rather my hat be tight - if I have to put sizers in, then I probably won’t wear it.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Oh and one other point that has helped me was to know my head size in inches and cm. I recommend to measure your head and if you change your hair style then measure again. I find cm listings are more accurate than US sizes. For example, a “7” measures all over the board but a “56” usually fits right on.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Sizing can be something of a dance. I'm fortunate to be a 7 1/8 (57), all day, every day, so I don't usually have problems. I prefer hats slightly tight than slightly large. A little time on a band block or a hat stretcher, and with some head time, they tend to conform to my head. Most customs I get are originally "too round", even though I am not a Long Oval, so with a band block or stretcher and some head time, they, too, quickly conform.

You might try to find a 7 LO and see how it fits. That's about as close to a between-size as you are likely to find unless you go custom.

Good luck.

Popeye Doyle

New in Town
I think the next hat I will try a 7 and see if I can stretch it out a bit. I think it being a little tight would bug me less than a wrinkled up sweatband.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I think the next hat I will try a 7 and see if I can stretch it out a bit. I think it being a little tight would bug me less than a wrinkled up sweatband.
Some guys will cringe when they hear this, but I don’t mind throwing a hat over my knee and leaning back into it. That stretches it real good. Just be sure to hold both hands either side of the seem stitching so it won’t pop. And if there’s a wind cord, then be sure to loosen that first.

A lot of guys on here will probably hate me saying that, but I have done it to 70 year old hats and brand new hats and everything in between and have never had a bad reaction (except the time I forgot to loosen the wind cord).

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Over the last ten years, as my hair thinned out, my hat size shrunk from a little bigger than 7-1/8 all the way down to right at 7 (I can even do a 6-7/8 now, though it’s tight). I used to have long, thick hair and now it’s thin and I keep it shaved close.

What I found as my head size shrank was it was easier to stretch up half a size than to put stuffing into sweatbands. It’s a personal choice but I’d rather my hat be tight - if I have to put sizers in, then I probably won’t wear it.
I buzzed my head for years, just a small amount of hair for lubrication. I need a little bit bigger size to fit a freshly shaved head.

Head size is variable, apparently.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
I'm in the process of emulating a Johnny Dep, Public Enemies hat. I found this Stetson in 7⅜ but I'm a 58.5 so it's a bit large but that's cool because I look better in a larger crown, or so my arrogant self believes. Lol

1000005753.jpg

Needs a little shim.

1000005755.jpg

1000005754.jpg

I buzzed my head for years, just a small amount of hair for lubrication. I need a little bit bigger size to fit a freshly shaved head.

Head size is variable, apparently.
I made a hat for a fellow, he was not fat but carrying a bit too much weight overall. He lost 20 lbs and his hat size dropped a full size. The 7 1/4 I made him that fit perfectly until his head shrunk down to a 7 1/8". Never knew a head could lose weight. Now I call him a former fat head.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
I made a hat for a fellow, he was not fat but carrying a bit too much weight overall. He lost 20 lbs and his hat size dropped a full size. The 7 1/4 I made him that fit perfectly until his head shrunk down to a 7 1/8". Never knew a head could lose weight. Now I call him a former fat head.
The scalp is very thick and vascular and variable and was worth a lot during the colonial period of the Americas from the 16th to 20th centuries. What they did with those scalps is not understood much

RBH

Bartender

I have lost 65 pounds since January 2023 and my hat size has gone from a 7 1/2 to a 7 3/8 !
I never realized it would change so much.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Thanks Nathan!!!
I worked on it for a year and I have great hopes to keep it off!!!
I was never able to gain weight but since I’ve been sick these last twenty months I’ve put on 20 pounds. First time in my life to weigh above 165 and the change in body style is kind of drastic.

Now I know how normal people (without fast metabolism like I used to have) experience life - I gotta work much harder to keep my figure now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner