Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheaper Half Belts?

mimesis2nemesis

One of the Regulars
Hello! Still finding my way around the forum, I was wondering if you guys could help me out... I'm currently on a student budget and naturally haven't got much money ATM... Yet, I was wondering... Do you guys know where I could get a nice Leather Half belt jacket that doesn't end up costing me a leg? I've seen the Aero Jackets or the Lost Worlds and judging by the pictures they look amazing... but the problem is that they are out of my price range... And since I'm quite a small guy (5'4", 115 lbs) I'm having a hard time finding size 34, which is the one that suits me :p . If you know of a place where i can find a nice Half belted Leather Jacket for around $300, help would be much appreciated. Thank you all in advance!:D :D

Cooperson

One Too Many
I would keep an eye on ebay - I've seen some nice vintage horsehide halfbelts go for reasonable money. You should be able pick up a bargain, as the smaller sizes don't attract the same amount of bidders as the 40" and above.

Dav

One Too Many
Or you could save your money up for a bit longer and get the jacket you really want, you won't regret it. After all whats a few months wait when the jacket should last a lifetime.
Aero usually takes about 10 weeks plus to make and bill you for your order anyway so by then you may have the cash.Aero in Scotland that is not Aero USA.
Good luck with your search.

mimesis2nemesis

One of the Regulars
Dav said:
Or you could save your money up for a bit longer and get the jacket you really want, you won't regret it. After all whats a few months wait when the jacket should last a lifetime.
Aero usually takes about 10 weeks plus to make and bill you for your order anyway so by then you may have the cash.Aero in Scotland that is not Aero USA.
Good luck with your search.

Sorry, I'm not Familiar yet with the process of ordering from Aero... Could you explain that for me? Thank you very much!:)

Dav

One Too Many
mimesis2nemesis said:
Sorry, I'm not Familiar yet with the process of ordering from Aero... Could you explain that for me? Thank you very much!:)
Yea sure, what I meant was that Aero don't charge your credit card untill the jacket is made and ready to be shipped and there is a waiting list of at least 10 weeks on average, so if you placed the order tomorrow it would be around the end of november before you had to pay for it.
I placed an order with them about a month ago yet I only got the finances to pay the bill last week but there is still 6 weeks or more to wait.
It seemed a bit strange to me when I placed my first order as I hadn't encountered a firm before that didn't take payment the moment the order was placed so after a few weeks I contacted them to make sure all was well, that was when Amanda told me basically what I said above.
Hope that was a bit clearer.
I should also add that it is often alot longer than 10 weeks delivery time as you have probably read in other threads here.

mimesis2nemesis

One of the Regulars
That's amazing!

Anders said:
I've got a half belt from the that very page, and in your very size. And I bought it when I was a poor college student! Be careful, we could be doppelgängers....

But I can certainly vouch for the jacket. And welcome!

Wow! Do you have pictures, by any chance? :D

mimesis2nemesis

One of the Regulars
Just checked LW sale items...

Ok, I just checked the Lost Worlds sale items page... So, $300 USD for this one plus shipping? It looks like an awesome deal. Only I don't get the *Russet brown in 40 only* part... does that mean that there are no more Ryders in brown? Or am I getting confused here? [huh]

One of the Regulars
mimesis2nemesis said:
Ok, I just checked the Lost Worlds sale items page... So, $300 USD for this one plus shipping? It looks like an awesome deal. Only I don't get the *Russet brown in 40 only* part... does that mean that there are no more Ryders in brown? Or am I getting confused here? [huh]

Welcome to the fray!
You are not confused, your size 34 ( it's only available in black).
Still an steal!
I got the russet 40 from that sale ( a lifetime awesome jacket).

Anders

One of the Regulars
The wording was exactly the same when I bought a 34 in russet, and I was a bit confused as well. I shot them an email and they said they still had some other sizes in brown. I'm inclined to think the sale page is just poorly worded, and that the size 40 is just more expensive than the other sizes... but it couldn't hurt to ask!

holdemchamp1225

One of the Regulars
hi Anders, I remember when you bought this jacket...

could you post some pics of it currently? Would like to see if it is showing some grain? Also, do you know the weight of the jacket since this was the lighter 3oz horsehide and not their industrial 4oz? Thanks in advance.

BTW, does anyone know or have an idea or opinion on the durability of 3oz horsehide compared to 4oz or Aero's FQHH?

Cheers,

Bruce

Anders said:
The wording was exactly the same when I bought a 34 in russet, and I was a bit confused as well. I shot them an email and they said they still had some other sizes in brown. I'm inclined to think the sale page is just poorly worded, and that the size 40 is just more expensive than the other sizes... but it couldn't hurt to ask!

One of the Regulars
Anders said:

The info was accurate when I got mine (April 2010).

One of the Regulars
holdemchamp1225 said:
could you post some pics of it currently? Would like to see if it is showing some grain? Also, do you know the weight of the jacket since this was the lighter 3oz horsehide and not their industrial 4oz? Thanks in advance.

BTW, does anyone know or have an idea or opinion on the durability of 3oz horsehide compared to 4oz or Aero's FQHH?

Cheers,

Bruce

Hello Bruce,
I have the 3 oz HH Ryder jacket for about 6 months now, it really breaks in quite nicely with a beautiful grain and crease.
The jacket weight about 4.5-5 pounds.
I also have an industrial 4 oz HH J 23 replica from LW that it weights 8.5 pounds.
Now if you will use both jackets for motorcycling riding, the 4 oz will out last you no matter how old you are now, the 3 oz Ryder ( which is not an MC jacket) will probably go for 20+ years.
The Ryder is a casual jacket, so durability will increase if that is the main use you will give to the jacket.
The 4 oz HH J23 is not a casual jacket at all, too heavy an uncomfortable if is not in the environment that it was created for.
I hope this help!

holdemchamp1225

One of the Regulars
Thanks so much for the help...

I really appreciate your thorough analysis.

I have several MC jackets already that I use when riding so the Ryder would essentially be a casual jacket. Seemed like a good deal for $300 so now all I need to do is make sure the measurements will fit and pick the correct size. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Bruce

1087 said:
Hello Bruce,
I have the 3 oz HH Ryder jacket for about 6 months now, it really breaks in quite nicely with a beautiful grain and crease.
The jacket weight about 4.5-5 pounds.
I also have an industrial 4 oz HH J 23 replica from LW that it weights 8.5 pounds.
Now if you will use both jackets for motorcycling riding, the 4 oz will out last you no matter how old you are now, the 3 oz Ryder ( which is not an MC jacket) will probably go for 20+ years.
The Ryder is a casual jacket, so durability will increase if that is the main use you will give to the jacket.
The 4 oz HH J23 is not a casual jacket at all, too heavy an uncomfortable if is not in the environment that it was created for.
I hope this help!

One of the Regulars
holdemchamp1225 said:
I really appreciate your thorough analysis.

I have several MC jackets already that I use when riding so the Ryder would essentially be a casual jacket. Seemed like a good deal for $300 so now all I need to do is make sure the measurements will fit and pick the correct size. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Bruce

The Ryder is no a cheap jacket Bruce, I don't wear cheap jackets, but if a great jacket is on special and it is my size, I take it no doubt about it.
Perhaps be careful if you wear it in Buenos Aires.lol

holdemchamp1225

One of the Regulars
BA is alot safer than you might think...

actually, Argentina is WELL-KNOWN for the quality of their beef, LOL!! Tell you what, their national animal is called the CARPINCHO, world's largest rat or from the same family. It also lives in Brazil and several other countries and I think it would be known to Americans as Capabara. Stunning hide and probably the SOFTEST hide I have ever felt. I will commission a jacket from it when I return. I already have several wallets, belts, and other accessories from the hide. Feels similar to suede but IMHO much more durable!!

Again, thanks for the help. Now, I hope Stuart will be helpful with the measurements as I see that he does not like to take the time for sale items, LOL.

Cheers,

Bruce

The Ryder is no a cheap jacket Bruce, I don't wear cheap jackets, but if a great jacket is on special and it is my size, I take it no doubt about it.
Perhaps be careful if you wear it in Buenos Aires.lol

One of the Regulars
actually, Argentina is WELL-KNOWN for the quality of their beef, LOL!! Tell you what, their national animal is called the CARPINCHO, world's largest rat or from the same family. It also lives in Brazil and several other countries and I think it would be known to Americans as Capabara. Stunning hide and probably the SOFTEST hide I have ever felt. I will commission a jacket from it when I return. I already have several wallets, belts, and other accessories from the hide. Feels similar to suede but IMHO much more durable!!

Again, thanks for the help. Now, I hope Stuart will be helpful with the measurements as I see that he does not like to take the time for sale items, LOL.

Cheers,

Bruce

Hello again Bruce;
I'm from Buenos Aires and if you hang out in Recoleta or Barrio Norte you are safe, perhaps Las Canitas is safe as well.
I know the Carpincho and other Argentinean hides very well, and I agree Carpincho is a fabulous hide!
Now if you like tell me your measurements and I can tell you if those Ryder's can fit you properly or not.
Later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner