Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Children's books

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
I'm constantly keeping an eye out for books from my childhood. Some are still being printed, like the Adventures of Frog and Toad. Others, like the tales of Jeanne-Marie are out of print and harder to find!

The artwork is some books it great, too, even for adults. My favorite is Eric Carle!

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
:eek:fftopic:

Nick D said:
My mom was a Head Start teacher (that's an early childhood development program), so I grew up with a huge amount of books. Since she owned almost all the books she used in her classes

Mine too!

She's still a preschool teacher but no longer with headstart and she always owned the books in her class, I remember a big snafu one year when the specific head start she was at tried to make her leaver her books behind when she transferred sites.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am presently reading "Doctor Doolittle" to my grandson. He loves it and can't get enough (we read one chapter each day). It's the same book that was my Dad's (written in the front is "to Bill, Christmas 1931") and was read time and again to him as a child. It is also the same book that my dear aunt read to me many, many times. I read the book to my children when they were little, and now have the opportunity to read it to my grandchildren. It's a great book full of adventure.

tuppence

Practically Family
Shangas said:
The only "chidren's books" I read with any regularity are...

"The Old Curiosity Shop", by Charles Dickens.

The story of Little Nelly Trent and her grandfather is just so heartwarming, tragic and beautiful.

"The Wind in the Willows", by Kenneth Grahame.

Who could forget the classic tale of Ratty, Moley, Badger and Toad? One of my favourite alltime stories. You don't have to be a kid to enjoy this one. Set in 1907 during the Edwardian period, it's a wonderful snapshot of early 20th century English life, told through the eyes of woodland creatures.

"The Secret Garden", by Frances Burnett Hodgson (I think that's how it's spelt).

Another classic children's story, and one which I never grow tired of reading. The story of Mary Craven, Mrs. Medlock, Dickon, Martha, Lord Archibald Craven and young Master Colin Craven is one of my favourite books ever. It's such a sad story, but it's nice in its own way.
Oh My, we will have to start a book club because Willows and Secret garden are my faves too.

Did you know that Kenneth Grahame was bipolar, and that Toad was most likely his alter ego!! Definately exhibiting symptoms. I'd rather be Mole: Really.

tuppence

Practically Family
Popsy

I collect Popsy books by Kay Druce. A Canadian author. It all Started with the Popsy paper Dolls, the books, I've even found (and purchased) a childrens' sock box illustrated by the Author. Why do I do it[huh]

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
tuppence said:
I collect Popsy books by Kay Druce. A Canadian author. It all Started with the Popsy paper Dolls, the books, I've even found (and purchased) a childrens' sock box illustrated by the Author. Why do I do it[huh]

I've never heard of these books, are they newer or older?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi Tuppence,

No I did not know about Grahame's bipolarity/manic-depression. I do recall a story which said his son committed suicide or something, and the doctor wrote down the cause of death as "accident", to spare Mr. Grahame's feelings that his son killed himself.

By the way, I just realised I got the "Secret Garden" author's name around the wrong way!

It's Frances Hodgson Burnett!! Idiot I am!

olive bleu

One Too Many
i read childrens literature often. "wind in the Willows" is a favourite, "the Chronicles of narnia", "Anne of green gables", I also have a wonderful collection of childrens short stories that i read..i think it was actually a childrens lit college textbook from the 50's...although my boys are now older..my 13 year old will still let me read aloud to him which i love...currently either harry Potter or the "Lemony Snickett -A series of unfortunate events". books.

..oh..and how could i have forgotten Mordecai Richler's childrens books?..like "Jacob Two-Two meets the Hooded fang"..wonderful!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
*Jaw-drop*

OLIVE I LOVE YOU!!!!

When I was a kid, "Jacob Two-Two" was one of my ALL TIME FAVOURITE STORIES!! Only through the mists of time, I forgot what the full title of the book was! THANK YOU!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I think I read every single Nancy Drew book available, plus Ramona Quimby! Always enjoyed those.

Anyone remember the original Boxcar Children? I think it turned into quite the series.

I read the Oz books, too. There was so much more to the Oz world than the Wizard of Oz.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Shangas said:
The only "chidren's books" I read with any regularity are...

"The Old Curiosity Shop", by Charles Dickens.

The story of Little Nelly Trent and her grandfather is just so heartwarming, tragic and beautiful.

I'm an avid fan of Dickens, and I've never heard the OCS referred to as a children's book! It certainly wasn't marketed as such.

:eek:fftopic: Little Nell's fate was so anticipated, that thousands waited at the docks in NYC for the arrival of the first batch of installments of the final chapter.

In general, I often read children's lit. Alice, Wind in the Willows (I've bought each of my daughter's limited editions), Harry Potter, Winnie the Pooh, the Jungle Book, etc.

olive bleu

One Too Many
Shangas said:
*Jaw-drop*

OLIVE I LOVE YOU!!!!

When I was a kid, "Jacob Two-Two" was one of my ALL TIME FAVOURITE STORIES!! Only through the mists of time, I forgot what the full title of the book was! THANK YOU!

LOL..glad to help Shangas.

Here in canada at least, jacob TWO TWO also became a Tv show(cartoon) he was just as fabulous on screen :)

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
AmateisGal said:
I think I read every single Nancy Drew book available, plus Ramona Quimby! Always enjoyed those.

Anyone remember the original Boxcar Children? I think it turned into quite the series.

I read the Oz books, too. There was so much more to the Oz world than the Wizard of Oz.

I own the original boxcar children but never continued reading the series, I read a few of the oz books but I didn't read any non-baum ones, it's just my way

Elaina

One Too Many
I read anything if it's lying around. I don't go out of my way to read them, although I do have the entire set of Ramona's books, including the 2 released when I was far too old to read them.

My son had Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and frankly I loved it. I think I was more excited for the new one to come out then he was.

Edward

Bartender
I started re-reading the Narnia series lately.... they don't hold up as well now as does The Hobbit, but still entertaining enough. I'm much more aware of the theological allusions in the narrative this time round.

I remember having, back in the late 70s, a few books from a series called 'Little Golden Books'.... One in particular i would love to have again was the tale of a kitten raised by mice, who then grew up and had to leave the mousehole as he was too large. I seem to remember he was used by humans as a mouser but he wouldn't eat his 'parents'? I'm a sucker for kittens.

Georgie and the Dragon, The tiger who came to tea, and The Shrinking of Treehorn were other favourites.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I was just talking about children's books with my mother last week. There are quite a few that are iconic of my childhood, and I want to gather them to read to our baby. She still has the copies I used to read, but she won't give them up! :eusa_doh: So, I'll be purchasing new copies of:

Blueberries for Sal*
On Mother's Lap
Where the Wild Things Are
The Grouchy Ladybug
Chick Chick Boom Boom
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

I will also be purchasing the Mercer Mayer "Critter" series. I used to read these to my niece and nephews when they were little. My niece (who is now 16 1/2) still comments on how much she loved this series and the time we spent "reading". (When she was too young to read the words herself, I'd have her find the hidden animals - mouse, grasshopper, and spider - on each page.)

*I remember vividly in celebration of my sixth birthday purchasing a copy of Blueberries for Sal with my mother, her putting a book plate inside the front cover of it dedicating it to me, and then donating it to my elementary school library. She did this with several other books, but that one has always stood out to me because it was the first. I loved going to find "my book" in the library. :)

As for books I read over and over as a child, B is for Betsy, all of the Ramona Quimby books, the Laura Ingalls Wilder series (I must have read this entire series at least 4 times in elementary school!), and the Bobsey Twins series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy