Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chinese Dress

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
New McCall's sewing patterns

The loanword cheongsam appeared around 1952. The style is older than that and still around today. www.mccallspatterns.com styles M4369 and M3826.. I own at least 3 cheongsam, two from the early 60s which I got on separate occasions at the thrift store, and one modern. There are some beautiful ones to be seen in the VHS or DVD of In the Mood for Love which takes place in the early 60s. We children were not allowed to watch "Suzie Wong" when it came on TV because she was a prostitute :eek: . Or maybe beacuse it was such an idealized view of the life? lol

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Bellytank, those are great websites! My favorite by far is the orient touch one...not too bad price wise and I absolutely love some of the elegant dresses on that site.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
reviving this fab thread! I have been thinking about getting a 40's chinese dress for quite a while and was wondering if any of you have had luck with finding great chinese dresses online? I worry about too cheap material, small sizes etc.

TessTrueheart

Darhling said:
reviving this fab thread! I have been thinking about getting a 40's chinese dress for quite a while and was wondering if any of you have had luck with finding great chinese dresses online? I worry about too cheap material, small sizes etc.
You can have one tailor made for you, in your choice of material at this site: www.efushop.com

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Do watch out

for the ones on Ebay, though. There are tons of them popping up in the 20s-40s areas of vintage on Ebay, and seldom are they anything but new polyester ones. Read the descriptions carefully.
It's gotten to the point where I have had to put "-chinese" on all my searches because of the vast amounts of crap they are always putting in the wrong category. Reporting it to Ebay doesn't do a thing.

TessTrueheart

Darhling said:
wow thanks!!! I feel like a kid in a candystore!

Great! I look forward to seeing what you choose. I bought a dress from them last year. If I remember to, I'll take a picture of it tomorrow!

Inky

One Too Many
okay, that settles it. i had a cheongsam made for me (ebay seller over 8 years ago) and never ever wore it. i'm digging it out this weekend and taking it in to fit!

darhling, show us what you pick out!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I can't seem to find THE fabric for the dress. I know I want it to be calf lenght, with short/capped sleeves and the high collar. i don't want the print to be too small, but I am thinking big flowers of some kind, maybe cherry blossoms.

Would royal blue look good to me you think? or perhaps a deep purple? eeh, need suggestions.

INKY! get that dress out!

texasgirl

One Too Many
I agree with you Miss 1929. Drives me crazy. Why don't they make them put them in the reproduction category!!! It's not like it's one or two that get mixed in with all the vintage, it's hundreds!

Vix Vixen

Familiar Face
Here's a picture of me with some family and friends 6 years ago before homecoming. I got the dress from china town. My cousin (very left in blue) altered it to fit me because it was too loose in the waist area (oh I'd kill to have that figure back). I'm right smack-dab in the middle with the lavendar dress. This is just one of 2 poses I have a pic of. I don't like that I'm slouching in this one (you can tell I'm slouching as the fabric is loose in the chest area in this picture:eusa_doh: ) [sorry for the scratches and blurryness. this is an old picture that been kept out in the open. its been sitting on my husband's desk for the last 4 years as its his "favorite" picture of me]

pic-2.jpg

These dresses are FUN FUN FUN! I tell you, especially when in a group, all eyes were on us that homecoming night. Whenever I look at this photo, it reminds me of those asian girls from the heaven on earth massage parlor in Rush Hour 2lol.
But yea, you ladies should definitely get one.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
^ that is an amazing picture! You look very beautiful and I can see why it would be a favorite :)

I might need help in determining what type of silk is good for these dresses? I am thinking it can crease easily, so perhaps a blend?

Josephine

One Too Many
I wish I looked better in a high necked dress. :(

Oh, and don't forget, there's a Trashy Diva Asia dress similar to these for sale in the Classifieds. (not mine :))

MissS

A-List Customer
Darhling, yes these dresses can crease around the hips very easily and both silk brocade and pure silk have no stretch, so make sure you don't order it skin tight.

If buying vintage, ensure you check the neck measurement, as many of the vintage qi pao were tailor made and yes, the asian ladies can be quite tiny.

I have a number of qi pao and wear them often, not just on special occasions, so ladies, don't feel shy to pull them out of your closet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit