Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Choosing a Belt to Pair with Vintage Jeans

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date

Edward

Bartender
Maybe a ranger belt....

2224-f.jpg

That looks quite cool, actually. What's the idea behind the design?

Here's the thing I wear with jeans currently. 1.5 inches wide.

belty.jpg

Not flash or expensive, but then jeans are "workwear" after all.

It came from here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUKE-MENS...Men_s_Accessories_UK&var=&hash=item2c64456ff4

BTW, the jeans are Freddies (only £70 direct). Excellent jeans - and yes, the belt loop IS slightly angled!!

I think I might have bought a couple of belts from them at a time too. I'd like to get some really nice belts eventually, but for now this sort of cheaper end do the job. I find they tend to last reasonably well. Are those the 50s Freddies? I wish they'd do the 40s model without the braces studs. I have two pairs of them now and want something different (i.e. can wear with a belt), but I have a very marked preference for the higher waist and wider leg on the 40s, over the 50s model. I'm looking at the WW2 USN selvedge jeans on the Soldier of Fortune site, which seem to look the part...

Edward

Bartender
Thanks Edward.

Looking at the picture I agree with you. I'd take an existing brown or black belt, punch the holes, and run some leather lace through it.

No worries. Yeah, that's obviously what it is. Not worth paying out the big money for that, though if I was sure the belt they started with was one that wasn't significantly cheaper to begin with and was a good, solid piece, I'd be happy to pay a little extra for the work done for me, and done well.

Edward

Bartender
Thanks for the kudos guys! You would be hard pressed to fit a 2" - 2 1/2" belt in a pair of jeans. The are mostly 1 3/4" (belt loops filled) or 1 1/2" (some room in loops). I'd be proud to make a belt for anyone here on TFL!

Sorry, I'm not following too well here - which ones are yours?

majormajor

One Too Many
I think I might have bought a couple of belts from them at a time too. I'd like to get some really nice belts eventually, but for now this sort of cheaper end do the job. I find they tend to last reasonably well. Are those the 50s Freddies? I wish they'd do the 40s model without the braces studs. I have two pairs of them now and want something different (i.e. can wear with a belt), but I have a very marked preference for the higher waist and wider leg on the 40s, over the 50s model. I'm looking at the WW2 USN selvedge jeans on the Soldier of Fortune site, which seem to look the part...

Hi Edward.

Yes, those are the 50's version. The 40's one is just a step too far me. If you want a really high waist (the 50's are by no means low waisted), then I guess they are the way to go.

Here's the full description =
The design of the Ranger Belt was adopted from a cinching technique used in horse tack that allows a strap to be tightened without pinching the horse's hair in the buckle. The Texas Rangers adapted this technique into the design of a men's ranger belt in the 1840's, when they began using the new Colt Walker six-shooter, which used holsters that required wider belts. By mimicking the cinching technique from horse tack in the design of the ranger belt, the Rangers could wear a smaller belt and still holster the larger sidearm. Therefore, this style of two-layered leather in the front is named after the Texas Rangers.

By mimicking the cinching technique from horse tack in the design of the ranger belt, the Rangers could wear a smaller belt and still holster the larger sidearm. Therefore, this style of two-layered leather in the front is named after the Texas Rangers.

mattfink

Practically Family
In regards to those brando belts, you could do it yourself, but I wouldn't use that "suede" lace that you have linked. That will wear out and break pretty fast. You really want to use a leather lace and even then I'm pretty sure it will wear and break long before the belt does.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/5075-03.aspx

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/5010-02.aspx

Also, a good rotary punchwill cost you about $45

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/3230-00.aspx

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think there's another thread somewhere on the FL where this was discussed, but Leather Goods Connection makes some really beautiful Rangers, and they're truly nice people to work with. I bought a black Ranger with silver buckle and loops that is superb, as well as a couple of jeans belts. Their service is also first-rate.

Edward

Bartender
By mimicking the cinching technique from horse tack in the design of the ranger belt, the Rangers could wear a smaller belt and still holster the larger sidearm. Therefore, this style of two-layered leather in the front is named after the Texas Rangers.

Ah! So the belt was thicker / able to take a heavier holstered load, right? Thanks!

Hi Edward.

Yes, those are the 50's version. The 40's one is just a step too far me. If you want a really high waist (the 50's are by no means low waisted), then I guess they are the way to go.

Yeah, I do like a high waist, me. :) I don't think they're crazy high, but enough that you notice the difference from the contemporary norm. I never did like low waists much - even as a kid I couldn't get on with 501s, and I stopped buying Lee after a single pair owing to the low waist being so uncomfortable.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo