Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christmas Baking

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Now that the holiday season has started and I'm preparing to start my holiday baking, I thought I would start a thread where we can share our favorite golden age baking recipes from vintage cookbooks or recipes that have been passed down through the generations of your family. Let me start with this recipe from my Grandmother. These are a traditional Scottish cookie that she made for at least 50 years.

SCOTTISH EMPIRE BISCUITS

1 egg
2 cups flour
1/4 pound butter (1 stick), room temperature
4 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Small jar cherry jelly or your favorite flavor
1 jar maraschino cherries, drained and cut in half

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Mix egg, flour, butter, sugar and baking powder.

Knead to form a soft, smooth dough. Roll dough on a floured surface to about 1/8 inch thickness.

Cut out circles with a floured cookie cutter (about 2 inches). Place cookies about 1 inch apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.

Bake about 10 to 15 minutes or until cookies are slightly golden around the edges. Cool completely.

Spread the bottom of one cookie with about 1/2 teaspoon of cherry jelly. Place another cookie over the jelly. Spread cookie with icing. Place cherry halves in the center of each cookie.

To make the icing for the tops of the cookies:
Mix 2 pounds of confectioners sugar with 8 tablespoons of milk to spreading consistency.

Makes about 1 to 1 1/2 dozen. Recipe can be doubled.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Christmas Muffin

I'm not sure an Aussie Muffin is the same as a USA muffin, just as there is confussion over Pikelets, Crumpets "et al"

To a basic muffin mixture I add Mixed peel, white chocolate chips and a pinch of cinnamon sugar.

I bake them in silver papers, and dust with icing sugar.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
BeBopBaby said:
Now that the holiday season has started and I'm preparing to start my holiday baking, I thought I would start a thread where we can share our favorite golden age baking recipes from vintage cookbooks or recipes that have been passed down through the generations of your family. Let me start with this recipe from my Grandmother. These are a traditional Scottish cookie that she made for at least 50 years.

SCOTTISH EMPIRE BISCUITS

1 egg
2 cups flour
1/4 pound butter (1 stick), room temperature
4 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Small jar cherry jelly or your favorite flavor
1 jar maraschino cherries, drained and cut in half

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Mix egg, flour, butter, sugar and baking powder.

Knead to form a soft, smooth dough. Roll dough on a floured surface to about 1/8 inch thickness.

Cut out circles with a floured cookie cutter (about 2 inches). Place cookies about 1 inch apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.

Bake about 10 to 15 minutes or until cookies are slightly golden around the edges. Cool completely.

Spread the bottom of one cookie with about 1/2 teaspoon of cherry jelly. Place another cookie over the jelly. Spread cookie with icing. Place cherry halves in the center of each cookie.

To make the icing for the tops of the cookies:
Mix 2 pounds of confectioners sugar with 8 tablespoons of milk to spreading consistency.

Makes about 1 to 1 1/2 dozen. Recipe can be doubled.

I -know- these!

Although I have misplaced my recipe....so I will be nabbing yours.

A million and a half thanks for posting it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21