Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your favourite recipes?

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Hepkitty
Trader Joes now has tatter tots do I made tatter tot hot dish (this is minnesota we call it a hot dish not casserole) for the boys. Only we use french cut green beans with the soup and hamburger.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Land-O-LakesGal said:
Hepkitty
Trader Joes now has tatter tots do I made tatter tot hot dish (this is minnesota we call it a hot dish not casserole) for the boys. Only we use french cut green beans with the soup and hamburger.

so sad for me but I live nowhere near a TJs store. a friend in Seattle has to send me vitamins and vanilla. I love TJs they have the best stuff mostly healthy and it's not over priced like a lot of so-called health food stores. does anyone know of one near SE ID?

HepKitty

One Too Many
strudel tutorial

Bartenders: sorry for the blog-type post

Years ago I was given a supposedly-100-year-old family recipe by a professional chef given that I don't give away the recipe. Now I must admit I've not researched the history of sour cream and apricot preserves, never mind the usage of coconut in Europe at the time, but I doubt the story. But a promise is a promise, so I'll not give you the recipe for the dough. But wait, what's this? The very same thing plastered all over the internet? Here's a link for the exact recipe!

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/281824

However, a word of warning is in order:

THIS IS NOT HEALTHY.

But it is divine :D

I've used a homemade French strawberry pie filling, I've made apple cinnamon filling, I've used apricot preserves, whatever kind of jam is in the fridge, etc. This morning kids wanted strawberry jam, so that's what they got.

Make the dough like you would a pie crust, cut butter into flour and a touch of salt. Add sour cream last, knead gently until just mixed. shape into a ball, wrap twice in plastic wrap, chill at least 2 hours.

Divide dough into 2 equal portions. Roll each out into a thin rectangle, about 1/4". Cut as shown. Mostly as shown. Make sure you have the same number of strips on each side.

Now for the filling:

Make the lattice:

dscf30457103469.jpg

Here is what to do for the bottom part:

Transfer to baking sheet, sprinkle with sliced almonds and coconut, bake 20 minutes at 350F.

Let cool about 10 minutes, sprinkle with powdered sugar, cut into 2" slices, and destroy immediately.

Can make the lattice and keep in fridge covered overnight, then toss in the oven in the A M. Can use fat free sour cream but it's not quite as good. This dough is ok for pie crust but not wonderful as it tends to get soggy.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Thanks for the recipe, looks lovely ( the tatter tot recipe went down well too, btw, sorry i forgot to thank you for the link at the time). I'm an airhead if i say so myself. :)

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
Y'know, life's too short to worry about "Healthy" too much...:D (On the other hand, a bullet with your name on it changes your perspective on long-term risks quite a bit, wouldn't y'all agree?)

Depends who holds the gun :D

On a on-topic note:

Last minute choice when low on food:
(scrounge through the freezer and see what you find...)

• King prawns - un-dressed - wash under water, cover with black pepper.
  • Find a wok or non stick frying pan (or anything else non stick that qualifies), add a slab of butter (not too much) and olive oil (so the butter won't burn), be generous ...
  • Put it on the cooker and heat up ...
  • Add crushed garlic (in my case 4 cloves ... you may want to reduce that amount :D)
  • Add the prawns and toss for a few minutes
  • Then the most important ingredient: add half a glass of medium sherry, toss it all for a bit longer
  • Taste ... you may need more sherry :rolleyes:
  • Serve in a pre-warmed bowl.

Now, along with this goes: crispy garlic bread
  • Finger rolls, cut in half,
  • Butter them, top with crushed garlic
  • In the oven until golden brown.

Dip the garlic bread into the juice in which the prawns are swimming in ... delicious!

And, you prepared that earlier: :rolleyes: Lemon rissotto - approx 25mins.

You need:

Rissotto rice (one mug full usually is enough for two)
Half an onion and 2 cloves of garlic, 1 lemon, white wine - I prefer chenin blanc - 1 glass (it goes INTO the meal, don't neck it! :D), approx 500ml beef stock, olive oil and butter.

• Finley chop the onion and garlic
  • Put olive oil (you can use butter) in a non stick sauce pan and heat on medium to low heat
  • Add the lemon zest (scrape off the skin of the lemon)
  • Keep simmering until soft(ish)
  • Add the rissotto rice and STIR gently for about 2-3 minutes
  • Now add all of the wine in that glass and gently bring to boil - STIR gently at ALL TIME
  • One by one add some beef stock, keep STIRRING gently
  • Taste the rice so you know when it is ready. Just past 'al dente' is my personal preference.
  • Season with the juice of the lemon
  • Serve with the praws and the garlic bread and hopefully, enjoy!

Pleasant accompanying drink: a chilled Chenin Blanc.

I know it seems a strange mixture, but the flavours work so well together. For me at least ;)

Foofoogal

Banned
Wow hepkitty. That is wonderful. Thank you. I may just try this for Christmas.

I have some old recipes from a Bohemian lady who owned a bakery that was highly successful and have never tried them.

One is of kolaches. I think it is because I am afraid I could never do it justice.

Real bohemian kolaches I will fight you for them.

Especially fig or cream cheese or blueberry. Shoot, most all of them.

HepKitty

One Too Many
That's what they reserved it for, Xmas breakfast. I haven't made it in years up until yesterday, my little food snobs heard the term and asked what it was. So of course I had to make it for them. Like when they saw The Princess and the Frog, they had to try beignets...

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Actually my brother is coming to stay with my baby niece, (who i have yet to meet- gushing, but i'm so excited)! So i am planning to do your recipe for breakfast as a nice treat. It looks lovely and makes a change from croissants or brioche or the usual whatever i dish up! Thanks Hepkitty :)

HepKitty

One Too Many
You're welcome :) This is a different recipe for strudel, so it should be a nice surprise. I checked other recipes and all use some sort of stretched yeast dough. Will have to try those sometime too

Foofoogal: care to share the recipes? Maybe some of us could make them and offer suggestions

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
Sprouts ... how the kids might like them. ;)

I have always detested sprouts, just the smell of them while they were steamed made me run a mile when I was a child.

However, at some point I was introduced to caramelised sprouts and now I cannot stay away from them.

You will need:
Sprouts, onion, cajun spice (*optional), muscovado sugar, butter, olive oil and pistachio nuts (cut into reasonably small pieces).

My way of cooking them:

Take the sprouts, trim the stem ends and remove any dark leaves.

The individual sprout: Trim the end some more so that you have loose leaves (they do almost taste like popcorn when finished) and cut in half the remain of the individual sprout.

Roughly chop some onion (I usually cut onion rings)

In a wok, gently fry the onion in some butter and olive oil until golden brown. *optional: add some cajun spice

Still on medium heat, add some more olive oil and muscovado sugar (I add approx on tsp), make sure the sugar melts and does not clump. As soon as the sugar has melted ...

... add the sprouts you prepared earlier

Toss it all so that everything is mixed, for about 2-5 minutes.

Now increase the heat for the sprout leaves to crispen, keep tossing

And lastly, add the chopped pistachio nuts, and toss for another minute or so.

Taste, obviously, make sure that the sprout halves are tender.

Done.

Personally, I love it as an addition to any dish with strong meat.

I cannot give you exact temperature for the cooking as I cook them on a rather temperamental AGA.

It may seem an odd recipe, but I like it :D

HepKitty

One Too Many
Gilboa: brussel sprouts are a culinary challenge, aren't they? This sounds like it's worth a try though :)

Threw this together tonight for my kids, they loved it. Sorry about the lack of measurements. Based loosely on a Scallop Paella recipe I found recently. Next time may add some chunks of mahi mahi or crab for fun. Probably crab.

HK's Seafood Paella

diced onion
crushed garlic
scallops
shrimp, peeled & deveined
kielbasa, sliced (I use turkey kielbasa)
red pepper, diced

fish sauce
dry sherry
fresh ground pepper
ground coriander
salt (not much!)
fresh cilantro, chopped
zest and juice of one lime

Saute onion, add scallops, shrimp, garlic and kielbasa. When almost cooked add fish sauce, sherry, lime everything, and spices. Cook until seafood is done, turn off heat and add red pepper and cilantro. Serve over hot brown basmati rice

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Risotto alla Tomasso; Risotto with whatever I got laying around in the fridge/cupboard. :)

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
@ HepKitty: Brussel Sprouts are indeed a challenge, before and after :D

Tomasso said:
Risotto alla Tomasso; Risotto with whatever I got laying around in the fridge/cupboard.

Rice and Pasta: 2 things I ALWAYS have in my cupboards, for exactly this reason. :)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Rice and Pasta: 2 things I ALWAYS have in my cupboards, for exactly this reason. :)

Truly, you can always wizz bang something out of nothing in short order. Even the minimum of salt/pepper/butter is magical.

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
I treat Brussels Sprouts as a low carb alternative to mashed potato, just boil them, to death , and mash with sour cream, and a tiniest pinch of nutmeg

Actually, that has given me another idea ... will experiment next time I have sprouts in the house! And I really like nutmeg.

About steaming/boiling/blanching vegetables:

I ALWAYS steam my vegetables over sugar water. I find it makes a big difference in terms of bringing out the flavour of the individual vegetable. Works particularily well with asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli and carrots.

Exception: potatoes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner