Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your favourite recipes?

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Wow such great recipes, thanks guys, i'm writing a shopping list as we speak! For a quick and easy pudding, take some fresh figs, (i use two per person), the figs are always pretty tasteless here in blighty so it makes the most of them. Skin them if desired, cut them in half, lay them cut side up in a baking dish, cover them in vanilla sugar, (if you don't have any, mix a small bowl of caster sugar with a few drops of vanilla essence to taste), cover the figs with the vanilla sugar until they resemble little snowballs. Place in a very hot oven for a few minutes, them whack them under a hot grill, until all that fig juice and sugar starts to caramellize and ooze!! Great served with vanilla icecream, clotted cream or some marscapone.

Cricket

Practically Family
I am trying my first ever shrimp and grits tonight. If it turns out well, I will post the recipe tomorrow. If not, I guess its safe to say things didn't work out. lol

Rock31

Familiar Face
Thank you all for the recipes, definitely going to give them a try this weekend!

Will report back on how badly I screwed them up :)

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
1961MJS said:
Hi

I'll look for some of my favorite recipes at home, but I usually don't use recipes. I just soak it in something and grill it. Vegetables get steamed and / or sauteed in butter.

Anyway:

1. Squeezing Lemon on your fish is good. Soaking your fish in lemon juice overnight leads to a product that feels like fish, looks like fish, and smells like Lemon Pledge. While I haven't actually tasted Lemon Pledge, I'm pretty sure that's similar too. It did taste like Lemon Meringue Pie.

2. We have a VERY good recipe for Cheese cake given to us by a New Yorker. Cheese cake recipes call for Creme cheese. The spreadable creme cheese makes cheese cake flavored soup. Cheese cake is made with the BLOCKS of creme cheese. Tastes great, eat it with a spoon.

3. When you run out of dishwashing soap, don't use laundry soap instead unless you want to see what you kitchen looks like entirely filled with bubbles.

Thanks and have a NICE day.

lol
All good advicelol lol lol
I remember when I was about 17 and a guy I was dating wanted me to make his moms fetticini recipe it called for condensed milk. I only had sweetened condensed milk on hand and didn't know there was any other kind. Man was that sweet and cheesy and gross.:eusa_doh:

HepKitty

One Too Many
Land-O-LakesGal said:
All good advicelol lol lol
I remember when I was about 17 and a guy I was dating wanted me to make his moms fetticini recipe it called for condensed milk. I only had sweetened condensed milk on hand and didn't know there was any other kind. Man was that sweet and cheesy and gross.:eusa_doh:

lol oops!

HepKitty

One Too Many
stuff I came up with

HK’s Baked Italian Pasta

1 pound short pasta, cooked very al dente (I use tri color radiatori)

1 pound Italian sausage (I use turkey sausage)
6 strips of bacon, diced (again, turkey. I’m sure veg versions would be fine. or pork, whatever works. Pancetta? Go for it)
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 shallot, minced
evoo, if needed
dry white wine (had sauvignon blanc on hand)
1 tomato maybe 2, diced
1 red pepper, diced
mushrooms, sliced
fresh Italian parsley, chopped
fresh basil, chopped
fresh rosemary, chopped
white cheddar cheese, grated
parmesan, grated
mozzarella, grated
fresh ground gourmet pepper

Cook sausage in a large frying pan, drain. Add bacon, cook, drain again. Add a little evoo and the garlic and shallot, cook until soft. Add wine and simmer for a few minutes, then add the tomatoes, pepper, and mushrooms, season with fresh ground pepper and maybe a little salt (the cheese will add salt as it is). Simmer a few more minutes, don’t completely reduce the wine or let the veggies overcook.

Cook pasta and drain. Mix with meat/veggies, grated cheeses and herbs, cover with more grated cheese, and bake at 400 F until cheese on top barely starts to brown.

:D

HK's Chicken Noodle Soup

ok this is soup and we all know the rule: throw in enough to make you happy!

chicken broth
noodles
diced chicken breast
diced onion
diced carrots (add these a bit before celery) and diced celery
dried basil, dried dill, dried thyme
ground ginger & ground coriander
fresh ground pepper
salt to taste, if need be
some brewer's yeast (vitamins!)

then a few minutes before serving:

dry sherry mixed w/ spelt flour (or cornstarch, I like spelt for the vitamins)
fresh chopped Italian parsley

let simmer a few minutes then serve

Spinach and Roasted Red Pepper Dip

1 c sour cream
1 8-oz pkg cream cheese
10 oz frozen spinach, thawed, drained and chopped fine
1 large red pepper, roasted and diced*
1 c grated white cheddar
½ c fresh Italian parsley, chopped
a little fresh rosemary, chopped
1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
white pepper
garlic salt
dried chopped onion

mix all and chill for about 2 hours. Put in glass baking dish, bake until bubbly, throw some more grated cheese on top until melted, serve hot with pita chips, French or Italian bread, veggies, etc.

*for roasting bell peppers, cut into quarters, remove stem and seeds, and slash quarters to flatten them out as much as possible. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet and broil (top oven rack) on low until skins char. Remove from sheet immediately and put into clean plastic bread bag and wrap with dishtowel until cooled. Remove skins and enjoy

Garlic Mashed Potatoes

sorry about the lack of measurements but it will depend on how much you make anyway

boil potatoes in your standard fashion, skins on, skins off, diced, whole, whatever

meanwhile, separate cloves of garlic, leaving the skin on, place in glass baking dish and cover with olive oil. roast in the oven until soft. let cool, peel and cut off the end. mash with a fork.

when potatoes are done, put in a mixing bowl w/ garlic, butter, milk or half n half (I use a little of both), salt, and chopped fresh Italian (flat leaf) parsley. mix with hand mixer to make sure the garlic is properly dispersed.

HepKitty

One Too Many
kid food

for our hepcats in training

Tater Tot Casserole

1 lb. hamburger meat (ground turkey or chicken)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can rotel tomatoes (tonight I used marinara from a jar, sorry I got lazy. added a ton of dried basil)
1 a bag of tater tots
2 cups of shredded cheese (tonight it was co-jack and fresh grated parm)

First, brown the hamburger meat. Add whatever seasonings you like cooked into your meat. Drain.

Next, mix the hamburger meat, both soups, and the Rotel together in a casserole dish. Top with shredded cheese and tater tots and bake

*note from HK about tater tot casseroles: no matter what they say, do NOT put the tots in the sauce mix or at the bottom of the pan. they get really gross!

BBQ Cups

1 lb ground beef
1 chopped onion
18 oz commercial BBQ sauce
1/2 c. brown sugar
10 ct. pkg fridge biscuits
3/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese

Brown meat with onions. Drain. Return to pan and add BBQ Sauce and
brown sugar. Simmer about 15-20 minutes. Spray muffin tin with Pam.
Place each biscuit in a muffin cup, pushing dough up side to edge of
cup. Spoon meat mixture into cups. Put a generous pinch of cheese on
top of each. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

Breakfast in a Cup

4 eggs
4 slices bacon
1/2 lb loose sausage
Grated cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350F. Spray muffin tin with nonstick spray. Line bottom of 4 muffin cups with loose sausage so it cover bottom; pat down. Wrap bacon around inside "wall" of each cup. Crack an egg in each one. Bake approx. 20 minutes until bacon is done. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake until cheese is melted

Grilled pineapple pieces with nutella to dip 'em in.

Lunch Box Pizza
1 (7 1/2 ounce) package refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (10 biscuits)
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon italian seasoning
10 slices small roma tomatos ( cut each slice into 2 pieces)
10 slices of canned mushrooms ( chopped up into quarters or halfs)
3/4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese

Flatten each biscuit into a 3-in. circle and press into a greased muffin cup. Combine the tomato sauce and Italian seasoning; spoon 1 teaspoonful into each cup. Top each with a slice of tomato and mushrooms and about 1 tablespoon of cheese. Bake at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve immediately as an after school snack or store in the refrigerator and place each remaining pizza in a sandwich bag for a school lunch.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Oh thanks hepkitty for the recipes, can i just ask, what is evoo? Oh and could you desribe what tater tots are so i can find the equivalent here in blighty, i'm always on the lookout for interesting kids food, seeing as i'm always feeding the hungry hordes at my house and some of maxi's pals are fussy blighters, but that would definately do the job! Thanks again. x

HepKitty

One Too Many
Miss sofia said:
Dork? Me? Evoo. Of course:eusa_doh: Thanks for clearing that one up! I'll blame it on the light hangover from last night. x

lol not at all, you can't be blamed for what the hangover does, right? ;)

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Miss sofia said:
Oh thanks hepkitty for the recipes, can i just ask, what is evoo? Oh and could you desribe what tater tots are so i can find the equivalent here in blighty, i'm always on the lookout for interesting kids food, seeing as i'm always feeding the hungry hordes at my house and some of maxi's pals are fussy blighters, but that would definately do the job! Thanks again. x

I think tater tots are the sort of things that Jamie Oliver wants banned from schools. Fluffy spud in crispy coating - delicious but evil.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Puzzicato said:
I think tater tots are the sort of things that Jamie Oliver wants banned from schools. Fluffy spud in crispy coating - delicious but evil.

lol I don't look at the package for calorie and fat content for sure

HepKitty

One Too Many
Miss sofia said:
Me neither, lifes for living and eating, not necessarily in that order! Thanks Puzzicato for the tater info x

was the wikipedia link for tater tots not enough? ;)

HepKitty

One Too Many
Black Dahlia said:
Made the spelt brownies...they're good but quite dry. :(

hmmm... I usually underbake brownies (and cookies), that might help. depends on the recipe too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran