Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your favourite recipes?

Derek WC

Banned
This is not an old family recipe, as I have made it, but man is it good.

Stew.
4 large carrots
3 medium potatoes
3 celery sticks
half an onion
Beef broth or bullion to taste
Meat (I used chicken breast, but only because we didn't have any beef.)
Little less than a cup of flour
(Additional herbs I put in)
Rosemary
Basil
Parsley

Cook the meat in a big 'ol pot, and while it's cooking cut up the carrots, potatoes, celery, and onion into chunks. Once the meat is done cooking, throw the vegetables into the pot the meat is in and put enough water in to cover the vegetables, let it simmer.
put the flour with about a cup of water into a jar and shake it 'till the lumps are out.
Once the vegetables are tender to your likings, while it's boiling slowly pour the flour water into it 'till it's the thickness you like (I like mine really thick), than put the herbs and broth or bullion in it.
Enjoy. ;)

P.S. Don't put too much flour in it, I made that mistake once and made bread on accident, and no it was not very good and was a heck of a mess to clean up. lol

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
vintage_jayhawk said:
I could use some easy fish recipes. I just moved and these ocean side fish stands are looking mighty appealing.

The italian priest at my high school gave me this one...

Take the filet of any sort of white fish, put it in a baking pan with olive oil, and put some sliced tomato on top, basil, oregano, salt and pepper, along with some more oil and lemon juice and broil. Easy, but delicious.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Yeps said:
The italian priest at my high school gave me this one...

Take the filet of any sort of white fish, put it in a baking pan with olive oil, and put some sliced tomato on top, basil, oregano, salt and pepper, along with some more oil and lemon juice and broil. Easy, but delicious.

YUM how did you know I was planning on white fish for dinner tonight?

thank you!

rumblefish

One Too Many
vintage_jayhawk said:
I could use some easy fish recipes. I just moved and these ocean side fish stands are looking mighty appealing.
Clams with Black Bean (douchi) Sauce:

Shuck cherry stone clams leaving them on the half shell.
Make a mix of 1/2 cup sake, teaspoon grated fresh ginger, one large garlic clove minced, and rinsed & chopped black beans.
Spoon a little of the mix over the clams and top with sliced fresh scallions. Cover loosely and bake at 400 for about 10 minutes. When they come out, heat peanut oil to smoking and drizzle over the top of each one.
Here they are just before the oven. Pretty easy!:)
DSC04298.jpg

I've got a load of fish recipes, some of my own, some reworked.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Not too easy, but worth a try;
Fish Crusted with Potato and Horseradish:

Fillet of fish- flounder, bass, cod, snapper etc.
Fresh grated potato
Fresh grated horseradish
Beaten egg white
Flour
S & P
Sprinkle fillets with S &P then dust with flour, dunk in egg white and lay on platter. Mix together equal amounts of grated horseradish and potato, and spread on only the top side of the fillet. Heat a pan on high and add enough oil to come up a 1/4 inch. Carefully lay fillets mix side down, now add mix to the side facing up (I do this because getting both sides covered in potato and horseradish and not messing it all up is difficult) when under side is good and browned, turn over to brown other side. watch your stove temp as not to burn. This gets a crust like a hash brown with a mellow horseradish flavor in the background.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
vintage_jayhawk said:
More fish recipes please. Seems I buy it then it sits in my freezer. Kid friendly if you have em (not sure my eight year old will go for horse radish but sometimes he can handle some spicy.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
vintage_jayhawk said:

Steamed Chinese-style? I do this either with a pair of fillets or a whole fish. Fill the cavity with slices of ginger, sprigs of coriander (cilantro) and sliced spring onions. Cut some slashes in the skin (if it has skin) and sprinkle with a little soy and a pinch of sugar. Steam until the flesh is flaking, then (this is the important bit) put some more ginger and coriander on top, heat 2tbs of roasted sesame oil until it is smoking and pour it over the fish.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Kids may like...

Fried Catfish with Matzo and Pecan Crust

Put matzo in a food processor and grind finely.
Empty processor and put in a handful of pecans and grind fine, but not to dust, then mix with matzo meal.
S & P Catfish fillets and put into beaten egg.
Dredge in Matzo and pecan mix.
Fry in enough oil to come up half way on fillet. Brown, turn to brown other side.

I like this with a drizzle of malt vinegar.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Some more cilantro and ginger

This one is good for and oilier fish like bluefish, salmon, mackerel, etc.

To 1/2 cup of mayo add; teaspoon of grated fresh ginger, small clove of garlic crushed, tablespoon of minced cilantro, a squeeze of 1/8 lemon, S & P- Mix well.

Coat top of fish with mayo mix in a baking pan, and cover with thinly sliced onion. Bake uncovered at 400. Onions should brown slightly.

HepKitty

One Too Many
this is no joke

THE best peanut butter cookies ever

1/2 cup butter
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar, tightly packed
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350F. Using a mixer, combine butter and pb. add sugars & mix. add eggs & vanilla, mix again. by hand mix in dry stuff.

chill dough for an hour. shape into 1 inch balls and flatten w/ a fork. bake on cookie sheet lined w/ parchment paper. bake 9-12 minutes. underbake 9 minutes.

edit: here is a link for seafood

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=45106

and a link for bread

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=48624

and I'm sure you've seen the chocolate thread, I've put a few recipes there too

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=50390

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Rock31 said:
Anyone want to list one of their favorite recipes for the grill? Anything but salmon would work for me :)

Take lamb or beef cubes (lamb is better), marinade them in red wine, salt, pepper, and rosemary, skewer and grill. Halfway through, take them off, return them to the marinade, then put them back on to finish.

Accompany with mushrooms, onions, peppers and such basted with garlic herb olive oil (whatever fresh herbs you have), skewered and grilled.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Rock31 said:
Anyone want to list one of their favorite recipes for the grill? Anything but salmon would work for me :)

Good for shrimp, mako, or swordfish.

Make a mix of 1/4 lime juice, 1/4 cup of olive oil, one small crushed garlic clove, and a table spoon of minced cilantro, S & P. Marinate Shrimp or cubed fish for 20 minutes, thread onto bamboo skewers and cook on a well oiled grill for about 4 minutes on each side- a little apple wood on the heat source wouldn't be bad.;)

For dark meat chicken- best with legs.

In a food processor add;1/4 cup of olive oil, 3/4 cup of yogurt, a cut up medium onion, 8 saffron threads steeped in warm water, 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric, the juice of half a lemon, a pinch coriander, and a tiny pinch of cinnamon, S & P. process till smooth and marinate chicken for an hour or so. Barbecue- skin side up, direct heat at lowest setting and cover closed (this should control flare-ups) till done, 40 min approx. Keep an eye open for any burning and make adjustments. Do not turn. A little hickory on the heat- ;)

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Things to NOT do while cooking

Hi

I'll look for some of my favorite recipes at home, but I usually don't use recipes. I just soak it in something and grill it. Vegetables get steamed and / or sauteed in butter.

Anyway:

1. Squeezing Lemon on your fish is good. Soaking your fish in lemon juice overnight leads to a product that feels like fish, looks like fish, and smells like Lemon Pledge. While I haven't actually tasted Lemon Pledge, I'm pretty sure that's similar too. It did taste like Lemon Meringue Pie.

2. We have a VERY good recipe for Cheese cake given to us by a New Yorker. Cheese cake recipes call for Creme cheese. The spreadable creme cheese makes cheese cake flavored soup. Cheese cake is made with the BLOCKS of creme cheese. Tastes great, eat it with a spoon.

3. When you run out of dishwashing soap, don't use laundry soap instead unless you want to see what you kitchen looks like entirely filled with bubbles.

Thanks and have a NICE day.

lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran