Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christmas Decor

earl

A-List Customer
I was excited years ago to find a mantle garland that has little clothespins with mittens on them. Unfortunately, since I've gotten it the number of cards we get has decreased down to almost nothing- people who sent cards for years no longer send them. :(
I know what you mean and it's rather sad. Have received the smallest number this year I can remember in my nearly 59 years of life. Some who have sent to us for many years did not do so this year. Speaking of age, however, and also sad, as I was going through our address book in prepping for the cards we sent out, saw many names that have been crossed out because they are no longer living. Earl

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I know what you mean and it's rather sad. Have received the smallest number this year I can remember in my nearly 59 years of life. Some who have sent to us for many years did not do so this year. Speaking of age, however, and also sad, as I was going through our address book in prepping for the cards we sent out, saw many names that have been crossed out because they are no longer living. Earl

Sorry to hear about the losses from your list. We've gotten 2 this year. The first year we were married we got close to 40- that was only 7 years ago.

St. Louis

Practically Family
I seem to be answering myself. Not that unusual for me.

Anyway, here's a photo of my Christmas tree. You can see that among all the lovely presents are two pairs of shoes from Vintage Sole (far left.) Yes, yes, I gave those to myself.

That's real lead tinsel, by the way.

Last edited:

Jack Armstrong

Familiar Face
Concerning decorating a tree for a vintage-Christmas look for a stage production, I suggest having a close look at the Christmas tree in "A Christmas Story". The set decorators for that movie did a perfect job of reproducing a 1950s-era Christmas tree.

Maybe so, but A Christmas Story (and the Jean Shepherd stories on which it's based) was set in the Thirties, not the Fifties.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Maybe so, but A Christmas Story (and the Jean Shepherd stories on which it's based) was set in the Thirties, not the Fifties.
30's to 40's but the idea is the same.
Given the dress the mother wears, the car and the fact that rationing is hinted at with smooth spare tire, etc.
I really like the large bulb lights used on the tree, usually seen in my youth on the outside of the house.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I posted this in the Vintage Family Photos thread, but I thought I'd post it here, also. It's me and my brother opening our presents on Christmas Day, 1955. You can see my grandparents' tree (they usually had a white pine, with those long elegant needles, but irregular shape). What I find noteworthy is how my brother and I are dressed. That's how little boys got dressed up in 1955 for a Christmas visit to their grandparents.
Xmas1955.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy