Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite 1930's-40's Christmas decoration

Blackjack

One Too Many
Now that Halloween has passed it's officially the start of the Holiday season. So what vintage Christmas decoration is your favorite. I'm still partial to Bubble lights and Spinner or Birdcage ornaments. Nothing makes a Christmas tree come to life like movement-

Over a decade ago, my girlfriend and I stocked up on real metal tinsel (thinking it might be going away), not the plastic stuff you buy today, because its heft has it lay better and reflect light better than the new stuff, plus it just feels better when you put it on and take it off the tree.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Angel chimes, absolutely. Still remember when I was under 10, laying on the sofa, listening those chimes and looking at the flickering shadows on the ceiling. Oh, happy childhood!

The brass ones that spin, driven by candle heat? I remember those! My grandmother had one. One of the few things I wanted from her estate because of the same kind of memory you mention, but sadly we never did find it.

The one from the North

One of the Regulars
Yes, this one. Patented in Germany 1905, but similar designs been around since the 1700's.

Attachments

• p_11309-01-01-1632399b41.jpg
    p_11309-01-01-1632399b41.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 39
If we stretched it to the 1950s, I’d be all about it, seeing how I’ve been acquiring Christmas tree ornaments from that era for quite some time now. Like lots of other vintage stuff, prices are up dramatically from where they were not so long ago.

If vintage stuff survives in its original packaging, it’s as likely as anything to be Christmas tree ornaments, for a reason that should be obvious.

Last edited:

Blackjack

One Too Many
I probably should have just said vintage instead of 30's-40's. I myself collect Atomic age ornaments. Any Santa in a rocket ship, flying saucer, robot, ray gun ornaments I can find I grab.
If we stretched it to the 1950s, I’d be all about it, seeing how I’ve been acquiring Christmas tree ornaments from that era for quite some time now. Like lots of other vintage stuff, prices are up dramatically from where they were not so long ago.

If vintage stuff survives in its original packaging, it’s as likely as anything to be Christmas tree ornaments, for a reason that should be obvious.

Shiny Brite glass ornaments are being reproduced in a manner quite faithful to the vintage originals. Perhaps a person better versed in such things could distinguish the new ones from the old, but I can’t. Prices seem reasonable, too.

Some of ’em …

I can’t recall with any confidence where I found the four boxes of old Shiny Brite glass globes, but it appears I paid all of $1 for each box of six, so it must’ve been a number of years ago.

IMG_2862.jpeg
IMG_2858.jpeg

IMG_2857.jpeg

The top two photos are of genuine vintage ornaments. The last one is of reproductions.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner